International Women's Day

Started by DuffleKing, March 08, 2013, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Shamrock Shore

laoislad

How many days do they want?
Valentines Day was only a few weeks ago, Mother's Day is Sunday and they have this woman's day today.
Can they not all be lumped into the one day?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Jonah

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 08, 2013, 09:46:39 AM

Indeed we do.

I always thought her having a dish washer defeats the purpose of having a woman in the house.

Rois

Quote from: laoislad on March 08, 2013, 09:54:00 AM
Valentines Day was only a few weeks ago, Mother's Day is Sunday and they have this woman's day today.

I don't think this is the same thing - no one is really sending cards for International Women's Day.

I was talking about this to someone the other day - her opinion (over 30 years in business at a senior enough level) is that things have moved back about 10 years re: women in business.  Fewer females on boards and senior positions. 

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rois on March 08, 2013, 11:00:50 AM

I don't think this is the same thing - no one is really sending cards for International Women's Day.

I was talking about this to someone the other day - her opinion (over 30 years in business at a senior enough level) is that things have moved back about 10 years re: women in business.  Fewer females on boards and senior positions.

I agree - having dealt with mulitnationals (especially) on governance issues over the last 15 years I always got the impression that they were only prepared to offer seniority to women in positions like HR and Sustainability, and then only while they felt it was cost-effective (in their twisted logic) to do so. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 08, 2013, 11:33:40 AM

I agree - having dealt with mulitnationals (especially) on governance issues over the last 15 years I always got the impression that they were only prepared to offer seniority to women in positions like HR and Sustainability, and then only while they felt it was cost-effective (in their twisted logic) to do so.

Be that as it may Boots but...

:P

laoislad

laoislad

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Rois

I recently had the chance to bring a client/potential client of my choosing to corporate seats at an Ulster rugby match, and had a drinks budget to spend at it.  I find it really difficult to approach people to join me as my guest as I'm worried in case they will think I'm asking them out!  And male clients would be less likely to say yes as they would have to explain to their wives/girlfriends that they were going to the rugby with a female unmarried client.  It is bloody tough.

ziggysego

I'd be willing to attend with you Rois, if you promised to keep your hands to yourself.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Quote from: Rois on March 08, 2013, 01:59:54 PM
I recently had the chance to bring a client/potential client of my choosing to corporate seats at an Ulster rugby match, and had a drinks budget to spend at it.  I find it really difficult to approach people to join me as my guest as I'm worried in case they will think I'm asking them out!  And male clients would be less likely to say yes as they would have to explain to their wives/girlfriends that they were going to the rugby with a female unmarried client.  It is bloody tough.

You see - it's just impractical to be putting women in positions like this.

tyssam5

Quote from: ziggysego on March 08, 2013, 12:11:25 PM

Give them a chance at CEO and they go and spoil it for everyone!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-belkin/marissa-mayer-work-from-home-yahoo-rule_b_2750256.html