26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

armaghniac

In the campaign. there was one programme with finance spokespersons. The presenter asked (very reasonably) if the economy went wrong because of Brexit or other event (and Coronavirus is already closing factories in Europe who cannot get Chinese supplies). Pearse Doherty blustered unconvincingly and said that there was so much of a buffer in the SF plan that no change would be needed. This sounded a bit like the financial regulator in 2008 saying that Irish banks were well capitalised.
Now with coalition discussions there have to be priorities and we don't know what these are.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 11, 2020, 12:29:46 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2020, 07:40:39 PM
SF voters are the most in favour of tax cuts, more than FG or FF. that fits in nicely with the plan to tax foreigners for everything.

This is why representative democracy is a load of bullshít.

There is nothing to stop questions like that (and more relevant ones) going on a separate ballot aside from the main election.

Then the incoming parties know exactly what the people want.

Representative democracy - pick out 2 or 3 lies from our list of lies that you like - ignoring the rest of our lies that you don't like - and we'll promise to do our very best to do fúck all about delivering these lies. Then "vote for change" in 4 years time to bring back the crowd that shafted you 8 years ago.

It ain't the fúcking (communications) stone age any more - so why are we persisting with a method of government that was invented before the telegram?

Direct democracy has mixed results. Seems to work well in Switzerland from what I've heard. Doesn't work so well in California. Voters are just not that good at micromanaging complex matters of state.

Angelo

Brilliant to see so many free staters shitting it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Tony Baloney

Imagine trusting SF to look after the economy. The mind boggles at what people think when they go to the polls!

Angelo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2020, 06:16:55 PM
Imagine trusting SF to look after the economy. The mind boggles at what people think when they go to the polls!

Imagine trusting FF to look after the economy.

Oh wait, that's why the free state had to get bailed out by the IMF.

Angelo

The Stoops are some laughing stock, having got into bed with the most financially reckless party in European politics in Fianna Fail. I suppose if their partitionist ideology marries......

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on February 11, 2020, 05:40:49 PM
In the campaign. there was one programme with finance spokespersons. The presenter asked (very reasonably) if the economy went wrong because of Brexit or other event (and Coronavirus is already closing factories in Europe who cannot get Chinese supplies). Pearse Doherty blustered unconvincingly and said that there was so much of a buffer in the SF plan that no change would be needed. This sounded a bit like the financial regulator in 2008 saying that Irish banks were well capitalised.
Now with coalition discussions there have to be priorities and we don't know what these are.

Do you vote for the Stoops?

mouview

Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2020, 05:38:35 PM
I see SF are putting out their ATeam for the negotiations-Pearse Doherty, Eoin Ó Broin, Louise O'Reilly.
Senior hurling about to get underway.

Who's Louise O'Reilly? I suppose in the ranks of SF, O'Doherty would qualify as a heavy hitter alright. Has he much third-level education?

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: mouview on February 11, 2020, 07:08:28 PM
I see SF are putting out their ATeam for the negotiations-Pearse Doherty, Eoin Ó Broin, Louise O'Reilly.

Who's Louise O'Reilly? I suppose in the ranks of SF, O'Doherty would qualify as a heavy hitter alright. Has he much third-level education?
What has that got to do with it?
Careful now

Itchy

There is no O
And you are a snob by the way. Pearse Doherty is very well respected across the board, you clearly know  nothing about politics in the 26.

marty34

Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2020, 01:52:18 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 11, 2020, 01:27:44 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2020, 01:11:59 PM
I don't think Michael Martin will risk dividing the party over a decision to enter a coalition with Sinn Fein.
Even if he stood down I doubt that another party leader could effect close to a consensus on the issue.

Imo the best bet for a coalition is FF FG GP, no more minority party government. The inclusion of the Greens into the mix will change the dynamics of the coalition and make the arrangement somewhat palatable.

Obvious as it looks I think they won't do that.  Making the Shinners leaders of opposition will help them grow even more support.   Clipping away at the sidelines, getting the airtime that leader of opposition gets.

I think FF/FG would rather not face that.

/Jim.
Practically speaking there is no way a coalition with a working majority can be formed without FG or FF participation.
A minority coalition will not function with FF and FG in opposition.
FG emphatically will not join with SF.
FF are split.
What can FF and FG do to avoid SF from making hay in opposition, becoming the voice of a larger % of the dissafected?

I agree - SF and Greens and Independents would be a mess.  Too hard to manage for a coherent government.  After Labour's last outing as a minor partner, all the smaller parties are aware of what happens a party after they are in government.  Crash and burn!

The key question is when will FF AND FG merge?

marty34

What's that got to do with anything? 

yellowcard

Whatever about his credentials, I hate that attitude. Condescending, some of the best businessmen have no formal education to their name but they know the price of a pound and how to operate effectively in a work environment. Equally some of the best educated people do not crave leadership roles, are risk averse and non business savvy. Formal education is certainly useful but it is definitely not essential for life in the real world. Doherty to date has proven himself a very capable politician from one side of the fence, he will now have to prove himself again in government but from what I have seen he is probably their best performer.   

Eamonnca1

Indeed. I think Richard Branson doesn't have a whole lot of formal education, he learned most of what he knows through entrepreneurship.

Dougal Maguire

Albert Reynolds, one of the greatest Taoiseachs in the history of the state, in my opinion, didn't have a third level education
Careful now