Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Delighted for the man and well done tyrone. A fantastic fella who will succeed and help bring back success to Tyrone at this level.

Rois

Great appointment - enthusiasm a-plenty with club management success behind him. And a fantastic Tyrone servant.

Rois

Just heard about one of his support team  ;D

orangeman

Fergal Logan appointed County Under 21 Manager
Coiste Contae Thir Eoghain wish to confirm that Fergal Logan has been appointed as the County Under 21 Football Manager for 2014 and 2015.

A former All-Star nominee for midfield in 1995, Fergal won back to back Ulster Championships for Tyrone in 1995 and 1996. As a coach, Fergal was player manager of the Stewartstown Harps team that won the Ulster Junior Club Championship in 2004 and subsequently reached the All Ireland Club Final in 2005. Since that, Fergal has been involved in coaching at development squad level in Tyrone for the past 4 years.

While his backroom has not yet been finalised, Fergal will be assisted by former All Ireland winning captain Brian Dooher, who had a role in former manager Raymond Monroe's backroom team in 2013, plus one more assistant who has yet to be confirmed.

Speaking regarding the appointment County Chairman Ciaran McLaughlin said "Fergal has been working with our development squads for a number of years and welcomed the opportunity to move up to Under 21 level. Over the next 2 years, Fergal will work to develop the players to be ready to step up to Senior Level and the we wish him every success for his term"

LeoMc

Quote from: God14 on November 12, 2013, 08:24:44 AM
County Under 21 Manager named tonight. Any word on who it is?
Quote from: skeog on November 12, 2013, 11:51:19 AM
give you a clue he might have your user name

Then again he might not..

Under Lights

Quote from: LeoMc on November 13, 2013, 08:29:33 AM

It seems like he was onto something

ferG41 lOGan

Wee Roddy

Good luck to Fergal and his team but anyone who thinks that he or anyone else for that mater is he golden ticket and will guarantee success is deluded. The fact that he comes from the development squad background is one reason why I would have steered clear. Very few late developers ever make it into the minor or U21 squads because they have missed the cut at U15 or U17 level. These players will always get preference because the manager has worked with them before. I know there will be trials etc etc but do you know how hard it is for someone who missed the cut at minor to go to an U21 trail and fit in with these "elite players" that the development squads create. In my opinion it doesn't create these elite players in a lot of cases, but  elite egos which leaves a lot of them unmanageable, or probably more to the point, uncoachable at this age as they know everything.
Why not let Dooher at it himself as the main man and take Fergal with him?

LeoMc

Quote from: Under Lights on November 13, 2013, 08:31:43 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 13, 2013, 08:29:33 AM

It seems like he was onto something

ferG41 lOGan

Ahh, FFS I was never any good at the cryptic crossword.

bigtogs

Quote from: Wee Roddy on November 13, 2013, 08:54:19 AM
Good luck to Fergal and his team but anyone who thinks that he or anyone else for that mater is he golden ticket and will guarantee success is deluded. The fact that he comes from the development squad background is one reason why I would have steered clear. Very few late developers ever make it into the minor or U21 squads because they have missed the cut at U15 or U17 level. These players will always get preference because the manager has worked with them before. I know there will be trials etc etc but do you know how hard it is for someone who missed the cut at minor to go to an U21 trail and fit in with these "elite players" that the development squads create. In my opinion it doesn't create these elite players in a lot of cases, but  elite egos which leaves a lot of them unmanageable, or probably more to the point, uncoachable at this age as they know everything.

Brian seemily has a few kids could not committ to be the number one but said he would be willing to work as some one's assistant....

Tommo2

Quote from: Wee Roddy on November 13, 2013, 08:54:19 AM

Roddy, do Carmen send their underage players to the development squads?

Wee Roddy

They do indeed. The club policy has changed over this past 2 ears because of pressure from parents who felt there children were missing out. Some of the lads involved parents played for Tyrone so its hardly surprising. You can not deny a cub the opportunity to play for their county but at that age the club should ALWAYS come first which isn't always the case, hence creating this elitist scenario amoung our young players. Does anyone really think that Monroe, Jordan, McAnenly and Dooher didn't put the work in with last years under 21s. The senior players were terrible against Donegal for god sake, the players that should have been leading the way. Why was this do any off youse know?

God14

Id agree with all of what Wee Roddy is saying. Whats the alternative though? how do we best prepare lads for minor & under 21 football, & at the same time prevent the whole elite thing?

rrhf

I agree with what wee Roddy is initially saying about dev squads, this is the system that is within Tyrone football at the moment and I am an opponent of it..  but  prospective county managers having a working knowledge of 50+ % of the likely talent available to them is better than someone with only a small standing start understanding of same.  To move it one step on and to try and exclude someone with that knowledge base could be deemed as possibly a classic symptom of the dreaded "wee man tall grass" syndrome 

on the sideline

Any word of who has been called for trials? Heard Shay Mc Guigan and Danny Mc Nulty for sure. No surprise there.  Anyone hear of any others?

Goals_Will_Come

Stefan Tierney - Errigal Ciaran
Richard Donnelly and Rory Brennan - Trillick
PJ Laverty Dwayne Quinn and Dan McNulty - Clonoe
Stephen McNally and Brian Toner - Coalisland
Paddy Quinn - Dungannon
Ryan Mayse - Newtonstewart
Niall McKenna - Donaghmore
Heard derrytresk got a defender picked for trials as well but not completely sure of that one.