GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: pbat on April 18, 2020, 11:44:42 AM
They should move all age levels up a year in 2021 so lads get the opportunity to play there last year of minor etc.  I would if possible try and get the Mc Crory cup final played as that's a once in a lifetime for the two teams. I am not sure if the schools finals has been played in other provinces.

Scrap the league finals and if the opportunity is there in Nov/Dec play the last 2 rounds of league games off so 2021 starts with correct leagues.

Back to u18 and U21s you mean ;D that would be great as I am not a fan of these new age groups.

supersub

Why do you assume 4-5 weeks of prep training will be necessary for county teams? There's absolutely nothing normal about this situation, so having another full pre season period is ludicrous. It's not as if they will have put on 4 stone and not able to move. A couple of weeks working on the basics and a few tactics do rightly. If it ever happens. Same for club.

imtommygunn

It could be like thirty plus years ago when teams didn't train as much and hadn't as much time to prepare tactics. Could be like the seventies and eighties again lol.

Main Street

I can appreciate the need for ground closures but I don't see why controlled training sessions, drills, shooting practice,  cannot be done with smaller groups,
6 players in each half of the field with one coach for each group directing affairs and all complying with the 2m distancing.

marty34

Quote from: Main Street on April 19, 2020, 05:49:04 PM
I can appreciate the need for ground closures but I don't see why controlled training sessions, drills, shooting practice,  cannot be done with smaller groups,
6 players in each half of the field with one coach for each group directing affairs and all complying with the 2m distancing.

Do you think any team is going to stick to this?

A defender 2m away from a forward.

Sounds good but unrealistic.

thewobbler

And as you can also probably appreciate that as most clubs in Ireland pay a man or two to coach, and this money never shows up anywhere in club accounts, that it's genuinely impossible to trust any club to abide by any rules.

Fuckwits train on Christmas Day to "get an advantage" ffs.

Main Street

Quote from: marty34 on April 19, 2020, 06:05:54 PM

Do you think any team is going to stick to this?

Training drill routines are wide and various and do not have to involve defender v forward. No man to man duels, just like is being done in other countries and totally compliant with covid guidelines.

Rossfan

And will these 12 use the dressing rooms or change under a bush?
Anyway while the GAA's Insurance is suspended that wont be happening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tatler Jack

QuoteDo you think any team is going to stick to this?

Don't think Roscommon defenders would have any problem with this!

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2020, 06:19:15 PM
And will these 12 use the dressing rooms or change under a bush?
Anyway while the GAA's Insurance is suspended that wont be happening.
Do you think that it cant be organised, that GAA players are so stupid and ignorent that they cannot follow the basic rational guidelines of a coach in exceptional circumstances, in  exceptional times?  That details like dressing room and shower procedures  cannot be organised? Training will have to resume at some stage and just how do you think it is going to happen, players flock to GAA clubs all at once and it's all okay?
Is it not  more desirable that the opening of GAA sports begins in controlled steps, that players learn how to train and be compliant at the same time, learn by good habit and by being responsible.

lenny

Do you envisage drills using the ball? If one player has Coronavirus there's a good chance he'll pass it on to everyone else just by them all touching the same ball.

Main Street

Quote from: lenny on April 20, 2020, 08:53:37 PM

Do you envisage drills using the ball? If one player has Coronavirus there's a good chance he'll pass it on to everyone else just by them all touching the same ball.
How does that happen?  that 1 in a million chance a ball get "infected"  and it happens that a player has an irresistable impulse to lick that football?
No I don't envisage that to happen, it is beyond my imagination.

lenny

Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2020, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 20, 2020, 08:53:37 PM

How does that happen?  that 1 in a million chance a ball get "infected"  and it happens that a player has an irresistable impulse to lick that football?
No I don't envisage that to happen, it is beyond my imagination.

The virus can transfer and live on surfaces, that's why we wash our hands often. The virus could easily transfer to the ball, just the same as if someone was out shopping and transfers the virus onto surfaces in the shop.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Square Ball

Was listening to an interview where they mentioned maybe having some form of social distancing in stands, odd they don't seem to be worried about what happens on the pitch? Is there to be no social distancing there?

https://youtu.be/traiDANVlag

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid