Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 422958 times)

toby47

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #1560 on: June 11, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
Saturdays match a side that was as bad a year as there's been in my time following the county. Down to division 4 and no championship wins (albeit the draw wasn't very kind to us)

One thing summed it up for me. After 8 months (November-June) of training, preparation and everything else our county manager had a Goalkeeping coach who hasn't even played club football in 3 years - on the bench for the county team. Absolute shambles. With that level of preparation we are going nowhere.

In fairness, who would want to be the 3rd Choice County Keeper?  What club would support their first choice keeper missing games because they were 3rd choice for the county. We’ve had lads who’ve stepped away from the county scene because there was going to be some competition and rotation for the No.1 spot. Which is a decision that they are fully entitled to make. Didn’t Mickey C have to tog out for the county a couple of years ago as well, as goalkeeper coach.  Admittedly he was still playing club football at the time, but it still happened.  Derry have two young goalkeepers, hopefully with long county careers in front of them, and hopefully they keep pushing each other to improve.

Should have had a 2nd choice keeper on the panel and used the u20 keeper as u20 only. At the end of the day they didn't select him for the game yesterday anyway? So do the u20's not have a keeper on the bench? Not that Gillis had to come on yesterday but I'm just saying it wouldn't happen in any of the counties that are going well at the minute.

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 11, 2018, 10:49:56 AM »
Yeah, maybe an issue was having McKinless and Hartin as senior goalkeepers with both being U20.  I’d assume that Hartin wasn’t named yesterday as the management didn’t want to take the risk of having to use him for the seniors and thus ruling him of the U20’s.
AFAIK Scullion is currently the second choice keeper for the U20’s.
I still think that McKinless is the first choice keeper with both Barton and McErlain going with him over the last two years.  I’ve no idea as to what other goalkeepers were or were not asked to join the panel.  Or if players refused as they’d end up with little or no game time.
Ulster League Champions 2009

TheOptimist

• Stay til the end
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »
Another point. I don't know the exact numbers but kildare seemed to have as many,if not more supporters in Owenbeg yesterday. Derry need to bring the National league games to Glen/Bellaghy/Ballinascreen next year if they want a decent support behind the team.

Ah, jayzus Braveheart, would Kildare have had 4-500 max there yesterday?? Owenbeg is a handy enough drive for anyone in the county, how much more do we want to move the mountain to Mohammad? There's serious apathy in the county towards the county teams, not just the senior football team. Folk need to stop the sniping and get behind the county. In the past I would have had zero problem with the games being in Glen, 'Screen wherever (I live 7 mins from Celtic Pk door to door btw), but the last couple of years, especially travelling to the away games, I'm now of the opinion, if a man or woman wouldn't travel to support their county in Dungiven, will they can run on.

Plus they're crap fans anyway. Streaming out of the ground with six in it and the best part of ten minute to play. Same old story, Derry fans always seem to have somewhere better to be. Very disrespectful to the players.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: June 11, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
Yeah, maybe an issue was having McKinless and Hartin as senior goalkeepers with both being U20.  I’d assume that Hartin wasn’t named yesterday as the management didn’t want to take the risk of having to use him for the seniors and thus ruling him of the U20’s.
AFAIK Scullion is currently the second choice keeper for the U20’s.
I still think that McKinless is the first choice keeper with both Barton and McErlain going with him over the last two years.  I’ve no idea as to what other goalkeepers were or were not asked to join the panel.  Or if players refused as they’d end up with little or no game time.

In my eyes Senior championship should take priority. 1st choice keeper should start, 2nd choice keeper should be on bench (only in a rare case will he be needed anyway) then if not needed should start u20 game and u20 2nd choice should be on the bench (starting - in the rare case Hartin was needed in senior game)

I as much as anyone would love to see the u20's have a great year, however seniors should take priority. On that note the u20's have an Ulster final to look forward to now, brilliant going. The only game I saw them play was  Q.Final win over Donegal and I was seriously impressed. Looking forward to the final.

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
What can you say about the season. Lets cut to the chase, we had a tough draw in the Ulster championship, but our performance was poor, Donegal never got out of first gear and the game was over after 15 minutes. I can accept getting beat by Donegal they are a cut above us, so are Kildare. But why cough up kick outs so easily? it makes your job to win the match considerably tougher.
Mc Erlain is a poor manager at this leve,l him and his back room team lack of experience has shone through and his decisions at the heel of the hunt put us into division four, a few more experienced players would have kept us in division 3, two points would have been enough. He should never have taken the job, it was to early for him, a couple of years with the u20's then progress,  but he did and he has to live with the fact that he took Derry to division four for the first time in decades. But as direct result of his  decisions we are in division four and it will be hard to get out of it. Why because I believe many of the players will have lost faith in him already, our current group of players are a fickle lot, a reflection of our current apathy towards our county team in many ways. The CB fecked up in this appointment big time.
cccc is a true supporter lol

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 11, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Another point. I don't know the exact numbers but kildare seemed to have as many,if not more supporters in Owenbeg yesterday. Derry need to bring the National league games to Glen/Bellaghy/Ballinascreen next year if they want a decent support behind the team.

Ah, jayzus Braveheart, would Kildare have had 4-500 max there yesterday?? Owenbeg is a handy enough drive for anyone in the county, how much more do we want to move the mountain to Mohammad? There's serious apathy in the county towards the county teams, not just the senior football team. Folk need to stop the sniping and get behind the county. In the past I would have had zero problem with the games being in Glen, 'Screen wherever (I live 7 mins from Celtic Pk door to door btw), but the last couple of years, especially travelling to the away games, I'm now of the opinion, if a man or woman wouldn't travel to support their county in Dungiven, will they can run on.

Plus they're crap fans anyway. Streaming out of the ground with six in it and the best part of ten minute to play. Same old story, Derry fans always seem to have somewhere better to be. Very disrespectful to the players.

We are taking the County team’s home base further south, we’ll be in Tyrone playing.

Anyway, as Derry Optimist said. We have shit support, we have had for years, no matter where the game is.

Anywho, what was the attendance on Saturday?

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 11, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »

We are taking the County team’s home base further south, we’ll be in Tyrone playing.

Anyway, as Derry Optimist said. We have shit support, we have had for years, no matter where the game is.

Anywho, what was the attendance on Saturday?

Just shy of 2700
Ulster League Champions 2009

markl121

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 11, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
I still reckon that attendance figure is very under reported. Owenbeg couldn’t have held many more.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 11, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
I still reckon that attendance figure is very under reported. Owenbeg couldn’t have held many more.
There was a right number of seats left at the far side. I think Derry fans probably outnumbered Kildare at least 2 to 1 from what I seen though. If there was 2700 at it I'd say close to 2000 were Derry fans.

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 11, 2018, 01:34:44 PM »
What????

markl121

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 11, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
Well the supposed capacity of the place is 7k and it was definitely more than half full. The seats at the far end round section 108 were more empty but the rest of the stand was full and a decent crowd in the terrace. Anyway it’s probably the most support we have had all year.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 11, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
There is no way possible that Kildare had more supporters than Derry did on Saturday . . . there's enough to be getting annoyed about within the County and the team without having to make shit up!!

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 11, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »
There is no way possible that Kildare had more supporters than Derry did on Saturday . . . there's enough to be getting annoyed about within the County and the team without having to make shit up!!
Agree completely.

On a more positive note the U20's had a good comeback win and are now set for an Ulster final. Impressive given the number of their players that are still U20 next year.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 11, 2018, 11:32:34 PM »
McErlain has the job for at least a couple of years! We come out of division 4 nxt yr but playing that standard of fball we be way of the pace to make any impact in the ulster championship 2019 meaning we likely go 7years without a win except over down in 2015 all we have to show for it! Hard to believe many had us favourites to beat donegal bck in 2014; 2yrs after they had won the all-ireland! A def change is needed in the bckroom team! They are all simply too young and  inexperienced at this level with many never never managing a senior club team

ON THE HILL

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 12, 2018, 07:56:12 AM »
mackers has no senior experience either so that argument is a no go...