Is this the next of it ?

Started by orangeman, March 21, 2013, 11:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on March 28, 2013, 11:28:22 AM
And helmets with radios in them so the manager can tell the robot players what to do. also more advertising space.
And in the present sideways handpassing world why not give a team a free every time they manage to move the ball 5 metres forwards.
Then you'd need only one man able to kick the ball who of course could be brought on just to take the kicks the handpassers would win.

The game you try to take the piss out of is officiated correctly. Mistakes are so rare in American Football refereeing because the yanks wouldn't accept it. They went ballistic when there were replacement refs who made some bad calls last year. In Ireland though we think the answer to bad refereeing is....make more stupid rules!

orangeman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2013, 02:11:00 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 28, 2013, 02:00:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2013, 01:06:11 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 28, 2013, 07:11:42 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 27, 2013, 11:04:23 AM
Why does the timing of the team announcement matter? There seems to be a suggestion that early naming of the teams helps with promotion/PR/whatever. I don't get that. Surely speculation about team selection generates as much, if not more, media attention - will he/won't he play, the Johnny vs. Joey phone-in debate, etc.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, perfectly sums up the GAA's inability to promote its games like a proper organisation.

QuoteI don't see anything wrong with releasing player numbers (they don't have to be season-long squad numbers) a few days in advance so that the programme can be printed. It can even include a notional line-up. But the actual team is announced on the PA before the match. Even if it's not, people have eyes and biros and they can make the appropriate adjustments on their programmes.

There are problems the RAC could be addressing. This is not a problem. Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.

No. People don't have biros.  I don't carry a pen with me to every sporting event. When I buy a program I expect the information in it to be f**king correct, not to have to do the organisers' job for them.  ::)

Any premiership game I've ever been to has the squad list and a space beside it where you can mark if he's playing or not. In the states the full active roster is printed.

So, for programmes in the GAA, an ideal solution would be to have squad numbers that can be printed, and if a new addition comes on then simply give them 25/26/27 whatever.
Funnily enough, the MacRory Cup final had a player from St. Paul's Bessbrook wear a jersey with the number 42! How that came about I've no idea.

They had a squad of 43, I shit you not!

Better than that - 42 started !!

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 28, 2013, 02:46:21 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 28, 2013, 11:28:22 AM
And helmets with radios in them so the manager can tell the robot players what to do. also more advertising space.
And in the present sideways handpassing world why not give a team a free every time they manage to move the ball 5 metres forwards.
Then you'd need only one man able to kick the ball who of course could be brought on just to take the kicks the handpassers would win.

The game you try to take the piss out of is officiated correctly. Mistakes are so rare in American Football refereeing because the yanks wouldn't accept it. They went ballistic when there were replacement refs who made some bad calls last year. In Ireland though we think the answer to bad refereeing is....make more stupid rules!
Is every thread going to assailed with your whinging over the black card  :-[
Easy to referee a game that has one bit of action every 20 effin minutes.
As for GAA refs -every time they enforce the Rules all the gurus line up to complain about them " Sure that was a grand game - no need to be givin red cards" after some lad was caught boxing the head of an opponent. And so on and so forth.
Anyway back to the point - The official team and subs is the list given to the Ref before the game is it not?
So any "team" announced 4 days earlier is highly unlikely to be the final team anyway.

As for the team with a squad of 42 - 27 subs. Nothing like sitting on a could bench for improving a young lad's ability
::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

No matter how you do, somebody can always counter argue - but I don't quite follow the bit in bold.

Just over 37pc of delegates to the GAA Congress last weekend voted against a motion to force counties to publicly name senior championship teams four days before games. In the great world of GAA democracy that was enough to reject the proposal, which required a two-thirds majority.

Proposed by Cork County Secretary, Frank Murphy, in his role as Rules Advisory chairman, it attracted only one speaker, who said that the introduction of the rule might lead to bogus teams being announced.

Indeed. But have counties so little influence over their managers that they can't demand compliance with a rule?

Anyway, the motion was beaten. Well done, folks, you made the day for rugby and soccer by adding no requirement to announce teams to the lengthening lists of anti-promotional devices now rampant in the GAA, led by the gagging of players. After all, the less publicity for GAA, the more for global games.

LeoMc

Quote from: orangeman on March 29, 2013, 10:38:37 AM
No matter how you do, somebody can always counter argue - but I don't quite follow the bit in bold.

Just over 37pc of delegates to the GAA Congress last weekend voted against a motion to force counties to publicly name senior championship teams four days before games. In the great world of GAA democracy that was enough to reject the proposal, which required a two-thirds majority.

Proposed by Cork County Secretary, Frank Murphy, in his role as Rules Advisory chairman, it attracted only one speaker, who said that the introduction of the rule might lead to bogus teams being announced.

Indeed. But have counties so little influence over their managers that they can't demand compliance with a rule?

Anyway, the motion was beaten. Well done, folks, you made the day for rugby and soccer by adding no requirement to announce teams to the lengthening lists of anti-promotional devices now rampant in the GAA, led by the gagging of players. After all, the less publicity for GAA, the more for global games.

Are you in favour of it?
How is it anti-promotional?
What is to stop Managers changing the team anyway?

orangeman

Quote from: LeoMc on April 02, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

Are you in favour of it?

I agree with you. Squad numbers are the way to go.

LeoMc

Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2013, 01:39:22 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on April 02, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

Are you in favour of it?

I agree with you. Squad numbers are the way to go.
Cheers. I misread you there. Where did the bit in bold come from?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Rossfan on March 28, 2013, 03:04:24 PM
Easy to referee a game that has one bit of action every 20 effin minutes.

::)

"Easy" eh?  Spoken like a man who knows nothing about the sport.

Everything happens so quickly in American football that they have the field swarming with referees. Milwaukee Hurling Club has taken a cue from this and they use two refs on the field in their internal league.  No hitting off the ball because for every ref that has his back turned there's one facing you.  And it's a lot easier to keep up with the play when you only have to cover one half of the field.