Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 08:53:46 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 01, 2019, 07:55:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 07:17:58 AM
Quote from: michaelg on May 01, 2019, 07:10:08 AM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 07:02:30 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2019, 11:23:38 PM

She still brings marking home, still has classes and subjects to teach and under the same pressure to get results but for lesser money than a civil servant doing 9-5

A civil sevrant will probably be have about twice the standard working hours in a year as a teacher and to which grades of civil servant do you refer to? Entry level civil servants?
I would severely doubt that.  Teachers get around 12 - 13 weeks off a year admittedly, but many would work a significant number of hours  during those weeks off.  Given that many teachers would generally working 55 hours or so in any given week, not sure where you are getting your figures from.

Teachers are not working 55 hours a week, I've lived with them, I know some. This is the type of myths perpetuated by them and their associates to garner sympathy but it's a complete untruth.
Some are
Working with children is very tiring.
Dealing with the parents can be a misery.
Down here we seem to have a new initiative for schools every month and generally all they do is cause hassle and take away from quality teaching time with the children.

Why do teachers think they are unique in having to deal with certain aspects of work which they find frustrating/counter productive? Teachers seem to benchmark workplace practices against their utopian view of what they feel should be an easy, well paid part time job with summers off every year. The sense of entitlement is off the chain.

You don't see many of them going for career changes and what does that tell you?

You know some teachers. Lived with some. But have never been one have you. I was. I took a career change that teachers never took. Do you know what into? The civil service. And not the NICS. And I can tell you the civil service does not have twice the standard working hours

manfromdelmonte

She still brings marking home, still has classes and subjects to teach and under the same pressure to get results but for lesser money than a civil servant doing 9-5

A civil sevrant will probably be have about twice the standard working hours in a year as a teacher and to which grades of civil servant do you refer to? Entry level civil servants?
I would severely doubt that.  Teachers get around 12 - 13 weeks off a year admittedly, but many would work a significant number of hours  during those weeks off.  Given that many teachers would generally working 55 hours or so in any given week, not sure where you are getting your figures from.

Teachers are not working 55 hours a week, I've lived with them, I know some. This is the type of myths perpetuated by them and their associates to garner sympathy but it's a complete untruth.
Some are
Down here we seem to have a new initiative for schools every month and generally all they do is cause hassle and take away from quality teaching time with the children.

Why do teachers think they are unique in having to deal with certain aspects of work which they find frustrating/counter productive? Teachers seem to benchmark workplace practices against their utopian view of what they feel should be an easy, well paid part time job with summers off every year. The sense of entitlement is off the chain.

You don't see many of them going for career changes and what does that tell you?
go on, what career change could most teachers go for?

ONeill

Teachers are paid far too much as it is. Most teaching is just putting on youtube videos.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

HiMucker

Id pay good teachers more. There is plenty of good teachers out there but there is plenty of woeful ones which drags the standard down and there doesn't seem to be anyway in differentiating between the two. When do you ever hear of a teacher being sacked or managed out of a job for performance related issues? Outside of gross misconduct they are virtually unsackable, which obviously leads to the problem that your unable to replace crap teachers with the good ones coming through. I know plenty of teachers, and every one of them to a man or woman when I asked them why they chose teaching, gave one of two answers. Either one of their parents were teachers and advised them to do it, or they said because of the holidays. That tells you something.

trailer

There was only one Teacher who made my life hell to the point of bullying. A real nasty piece of work and when the **** dies I'll throw a f**king party.
Teachers are a funny cliquey bunch. They all marry one another, it's like some sort of secret cult. I always professions who do that with suspicion. 

However most Teachers are good people and I think are paid a fair remuneration package. It's a recession proof career, guaranteed promotion, weekends off and great holidays. That can't be overlooked.

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on May 01, 2019, 12:57:45 PM
There was only one Teacher who made my life hell to the point of bullying. A real nasty piece of work and when the **** dies I'll throw a f**king party.
Teachers are a funny cliquey bunch. They all marry one another, it's like some sort of secret cult. I always professions who do that with suspicion. 

However most Teachers are good people and I think are paid a fair remuneration package. It's a recession proof career, guaranteed promotion, weekends off and great holidays. That can't be overlooked.
;D ;D ;D

JimStynes

If I was given 29 holidays and the stat days, guaranteed to work 9-5 only and allowed to use those holidays whenever I want them I would take that over getting the summer off. And workload changes from school to school. I've moved schools and I'm doing half the work with half the issues and getting paid the same as my old colleagues.

I don't think we get paid enough considering we are doing a pretty important job. I was talking to a fella who owns an IT firm and his new fellas out of Uni are earning 60k by the time they're getting to 26. Most principals don't get that.

trailer

Quote from: HiMucker on May 01, 2019, 01:18:46 PM

;D ;D ;D

Tell me I'm wrong.  ;D ;D ;D

tonto1888

Quote from: ONeill on May 01, 2019, 12:23:40 PM
Teachers are paid far too much as it is. Most teaching is just putting on youtube videos.

Oh dear. How sad

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on May 01, 2019, 01:20:26 PM

;D ;D ;D

What about doctors and nurses marrying?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on May 01, 2019, 01:19:55 PM
If I was given 29 holidays and the stat days, guaranteed to work 9-5 only and allowed to use those holidays whenever I want them I would take that over getting the summer off. And workload changes from school to school. I've moved schools and I'm doing half the work with half the issues and getting paid the same as my old colleagues.

I don't think we get paid enough considering we are doing a pretty important job. I was talking to a fella who owns an IT firm and his new fellas out of Uni are earning 60k by the time they're getting to 26. Most principals don't get that.

Inc stats rather than in addition. Not many private firms offer 29 days holidays. There's not many 26 year olds earning £60k no matter what your friend says.

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2019, 01:22:26 PM

;D ;D ;D

Doctors marry Doctors exactly. Another profession that runs its own secret incest group.

trueblue1234

Quote from: JimStynes on May 01, 2019, 01:19:55 PM

It's demand and supply. If they are into niche IT which is currently in demand then that's possible. But there'll be few IT people who are earning 60K 3 years out of Uni unless it's in Dublin. For every one that is there'll be 10 doing Helpdesk roles at £20-30K.  That's the private sector. Not everyone will be on the same pay and while you'll find outliers like the 3 year old graduate on £60K most won't be. But in teaching....
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: trailer on May 01, 2019, 01:24:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2019, 01:22:26 PM

;D ;D ;D

Doctors marry Doctors exactly. Another profession that runs its own secret incest group.

The legal profession is the exact same!  Surprise surprise people marry people who they have a common interest with and likely met when they were in University together....hardly a big jump is it?

lenny

Some are

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/mar/31/four-in-10-new-teachers-quit-within-a-year

You don't think 40% is a lot? I have to say it sounds like there's an issue there whether it's to do with pay or conditions I wouldn't know. That kind of turnover is bad in any profession.