Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: red hander on October 13, 2008, 04:29:56 PM
I believe the IFA have just terminated Howard Wells' contract today ... hasn't he already taken them to an Industrial Tribunal?  Looking forward to the court case on this one

The OWCers will be singing and dancing tonight.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

They don't want an Englishman, Celtic player or anyone else who isn;t an Ulster Protestant about the place. >:(

I hope Mr Wells spills the beans on the rotten modus operandi of this so called sporting organisaton

nifan

Youve changed your tune, you had many a choice word about Wells being an Englishman when he was hired :D

ziggysego

Quote from: Donagh on October 13, 2008, 05:14:57 PM
Why is he so disliked?

Well Wells said in August that he was be discriminated against because he's English. Go figure!
Testing Accessibility

red hander

For all their union jacks, rule britannias and god save the queens, they don't seem to like the very thing they want to be

nifan

Nothing to do with the fact he is english, simply due to his reign the fans see themselves as being fleeced.
He also talked shite over the maze, promised to keep fans informed and did nothing of the sort.

Nothing to do with being english - the fans where delighted to see him after the debacle that was Bowen, but he hasnt lived up to the hype

fred the red

Quote from: nifan on October 13, 2008, 05:34:24 PM
Nothing to do with the fact he is english, simply due to his reign the fans see themselves as being fleeced.
He also talked shite over the maze, promised to keep fans informed and did nothing of the sort.

Nothing to do with being english - the fans where delighted to see him after the debacle that was Bowen, but he hasnt lived up to the hype

Fleeced by who?

nifan

Fleeced by the IFA - wells and jeff wilson (the marketing guy) receive most of the blame.
Ticket prices, supporters schemes etc etc etc.

People where happy for the IFA to become more professional, but ticket prices for friendlies etc have gone up by ridiculous amounts.

red hander

Quote from: nifan on October 13, 2008, 05:34:24 PM

Er, was the reason for the case taken against the IFA not based purely on racism, i.e anti-English remarks made to him by kennedy and a few of the other gulpins at the IFA?  S'pose it makes a change from sectarianism as far as the IFA is concerned.  If you think Wells was bad, I believe kennedy has been appointed to his post on a temporary basis ... great, you'll have that great man of words doing two jobs for you very badly, as opposed to one :P

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on October 13, 2008, 05:41:55 PM
Fleeced by the IFA - wells and jeff wilson (the marketing guy) receive most of the blame.

People where happy for the IFA to become more professional, but ticket prices for friendlies etc have gone up by ridiculous amounts.
I don't doubt you on the higher prices etc. Did they waste the money gathered?
Howard seemed to think that it would take around 20k? fans at a game just to break even.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on October 13, 2008, 07:55:10 PM
Quote from: nifan on October 13, 2008, 05:41:55 PM

I don't doubt you on the higher prices etc. Did they waste the money gathered?
Howard seemed to think that it would take around 20k? fans at a game just to break even.

Not only ticket prices but also an 'admin' charge per each ticket in the block booking scheme even though only one credit/debit card transaction has taken place. 

Admin fees for away tickets despite these being produced by the other association.  Oh, and he let slip to a fan off the record that the so called admin charge fell outside the IFA's contract with the bloos and therefore they didn't have to pay out 15%.

His lies and spin around the new stadium debacle hasn't helped either.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Donagh

But I seem to remember so many millions being given by the Brits on condition that someone like Wells came in and restructured things. Did this happen?

Then there was the multi-million £ Sky deal. Was the IFA not broke before this due to previous mismanagement and a big payoff to some previous fella?

Did he not manage to get Sunday football despite the objection of the Orange Order types that abound in theh IFA?

Seems to me that Wells has dragged the IFA out of the Dark Ages and it's no coincidence his appointment coincides with the most successful period yez have had in 20 or 30 years.

nifan

Donagh, he certainly was more professional in some respects - but being better than Bowen was hardly much of an achievement. Getting rid of Bown was an achievement, only problem was he walked with a huge pay off rather than sacked for incompetence.

I think the success on the pitch had little to do with changes wells made, the improvements like sky tv etc where much more down to the success on the pitch and the FFA improvements than wells.

I dont think the restructuring was done to get the money - if it was it certainly took a lot longer than it was supposed to.

I dont like him for his attitude and outright lies he told to me and others.

Bensars

They cant really complain about the ticket prices. The IFA ( going by radio reports this evening ) are facing an annual shortfall of £ 300,000. With a capacity at of 12,000 or whatever it is, you will always be up against it. Apparrently ( once again from radio journalists ) he tried to make the outfit more professional. The reality was that he had to knock a few heads together and resulted in rubbing the old tie brigade up the wrong way. That along with a discrimination case ( which apparently he win, or to be announced he win) left him a sitting duck.