Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2017, 10:17:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:37:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:18:42 PM
What he has done with ni is one of the better jobs you would see in world football irrespective of outcome here.

Iceland, playing better football and off a population less than half that of Belfast, is far more impressive. All three island teams have done well recently.

Yeah but as well as anything here has rugby, gaa, hockey etc. and not everyone in ni wants to play for Ni. Agree though iceland doing fantastic and arguably better.
Switzerland are a much better team. They are also better at cross community relations.

They're also very friendly with big business, though, Sea. That should surely count massively against them in your viewing.

ashman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 09, 2017, 10:07:16 PM
If the officials got those penalty decision correct Northern Ireland providing they scored their penalty would have won that game 1-0 putting them in a great position to win this tie. After the Henry hand ball against the Republic of Ireland you would think these officials would be more tuned in by now?

Ireland were well  beat outplayed tonight and the writing was on the wall .

They still have a small , very small chance .

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:22:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2017, 10:17:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:37:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:18:42 PM
What he has done with ni is one of the better jobs you would see in world football irrespective of outcome here.

Iceland, playing better football and off a population less than half that of Belfast, is far more impressive. All three island teams have done well recently.

Yeah but as well as anything here has rugby, gaa, hockey etc. and not everyone in ni wants to play for Ni. Agree though iceland doing fantastic and arguably better.
Switzerland are a much better team. They are also better at cross community relations.

They're also very friendly with big business, though, Sea. That should surely count massively against them in your viewing.
I don't know if they are as neoliberal as you, Syf.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ashman on November 09, 2017, 10:33:23 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 09, 2017, 10:07:16 PM
If the officials got those penalty decision correct Northern Ireland providing they scored their penalty would have won that game 1-0 putting them in a great position to win this tie. After the Henry hand ball against the Republic of Ireland you would think these officials would be more tuned in by now?

Ireland were well  beat outplayed tonight and the writing was on the wall .

They still have a small , very small chance .
Beaten 1-0 by very dubious penalty. Any chance they had of winning this tie is more or less gone now.

macdanger2

Jaysus, just saw the penalty decision there. Unbelievably bad call

longballin

Aye terrible penno decision  tho Switzerland played them off the park... be 2 or 3-0 on Sunday

stiffler

Gerry Armstrong gave the worst commentary performance I have ever witnessed.

So bad, it was comical.

On the game itself , norn iron didn't threaten the Swiss goal and were outclassed. 1-0 was probably a fair result.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Main Street

Itchy

Swiss got really bad offside call in 2nd half too which Gerry agreed was clearly offside despite it being clearly onside.

Main Street

I watched the game on an ESPN channel, the co commentator said as much that NI were crap and boring, that this a home game and they play as if they are an away team playing for a draw. He even recommenced that viewers turn over to the Croatia v Greece game but had to to turn that into a joke comment after an intervention.

ashman

Quote from: stiffler on November 09, 2017, 11:04:54 PM
Gerry Armstrong gave the worst commentary performance I have ever witnessed.

So bad, it was comical.

On the game itself , norn iron didn't threaten the Swiss goal and were outclassed. 1-0 was probably a fair result.

Gerry was like a local radio commentator doing their home county's championship .   Utterly prejudiced and enjoyable in a funny way .

Over the Bar

Capt Pat

The tie is not over yet. A 2-1win for the north in the away leg will be enough.

More importantly I didn't see the game as it was on sky.  Why didn't the BBC or UTV have the game on live?

T Fearon

Had the Swiss backed at 5/4,and even lumped another few quid on at the 13/8 in play offer not long before they scored.I Had to sweat far too much for my money,they should have score 4 at least

Poppies emblazoned on the black armbands worn by North players,of course

Swiss are 8/15 for the second leg.With North of Ireland compelled to open up and try to score I think I'll put my (second) house on that! In fact I might put both houses on it

Asal Mor

I was on them too. Shouldnt have needed the ref to give them the game but they did. Would agree that looks a fairly safe 8/15 bet, though experience has taught me to be cautious.