Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

As for the arrests there was 2 things at play here.

1 was a scum element amongst our support, a lot of guys I know where saying there was definately a larger number of dicks than usual at this game. Dont know what it is - band wagon jumpers/cheap flights/cheap drink.

The other was the cops lifting boys, taking them round the corner and releasing them for a fine. Warned about this before, and pretty common in Riga with tourist apparently, and soem other places in eastern europe/russia.

Bensars

Quote from: nifan on September 10, 2007, 08:32:04 AM
As for the arrests there was 2 things at play here.

1 was a scum element amongst our support, a lot of guys I know where saying there was definately a larger number of dicks than usual at this game. Dont know what it is - band wagon jumpers/cheap flights/cheap drink.

The other was the cops lifting boys, taking them round the corner and releasing them for a fine. Warned about this before, and pretty common in Riga with tourist apparently, and soem other places in eastern europe/russia.

If youre insinuating that the local police were arresting NI supporters to pocket the fine, then letting them go, it would not be on the offical figures therefore putting the actual arrests at a much higher level !

I suspect that Mr Fearon will be honing his letter writing skills as we speak

ziggysego

Quote from: Bensars on September 10, 2007, 01:25:09 PM
I suspect that Mr Fearon will be honing his letter writing skills as we speak

I was wondering why he hasn't been on today!  :D
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Bensars, i was saying that both these events occured.
I said that there where some scumbags about, and these guys got lifted for fighting etc.
Some people did get arrested for "minor" things like public pissing etc also, but from what i am hearing a few boys seemed happy to start something which is pathetic.

The fine thing is something that happened also, and yes it wont be recorded, though it is being discussed. Nothing surprising - happens in a lot of places as i said.

nifan

Quote from: rafasarmy on September 10, 2007, 02:33:55 PM
Was sorry to see N.Ireland lost the other night..Pity that they lost two of their easier games in the group ie Iceland and Latvia because they would have a great chance of qualifying otherwise.Alas i think it will prove to much for them now.

Hard to know if we hadnt lost the iceland game so badly how things would have gone - it may have given them the kick up the backside they needed

hopefully this result can be a similar kick up the ass.

ExiledGael

Doubt that NI will emerge from the group now, but nonetheless it was a difficult ask from the start and they can certainly take a lot from the campaign. They really seem to struggle when the onus is on them to take the game to teams. it suits them to sit and absorb then hit teams on the break and defend what they have. Dominating the opposition seems to be a real problem, especially when it's a middle ranked team who'm they ought to be beating

ziggysego

The NI team seem to have more pride in their shirt than the RoI team do at present.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ziggysego on September 10, 2007, 04:24:01 PM
The NI team seem to have more pride in their shirt than the RoI team do at present.

I agree..Especially the likes of John O'Shea who seems to put in more of an effort for his club than he does for his country
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on September 10, 2007, 04:24:01 PM
It all pales in comparison to the pride that the  Monaghan team have for their shirt :)

I hear that Healy is out or at least a serious doubt for Wed evening according to Skysports
latest flash just in type of news item.

nifan

Healy, Gillespie and Evans all sat out training but are all expected to be fit last i heard.
I certainly hope so, but better service is essential if healy is actually going to do anything while on the pitch.

stiffler

northern Ireland and the Republic are two mediocre sides. The only chance they have of regularly qualifying for the major tournaments is merging the two teams together. The sooner this is done the better for (almost) all concerned.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Main Street

Looked pretty wet on Sky Sports for NI at their training session.
Weather forecast for Wednesday is cold, windy and with heavy rain -  turning to sleet -  ouch.
Eidur Gudjonsson is back but hasn´t played in a while. I´d assume he was targeted for the NI game and wasn´t risked against Spain. There is another Gudjonsson, Joey, who is pretty good. Hreidarsson is the Kevin Moran type rock in the defence even if he is the LB.
NI better try and make hay down the other flank. Hreidarsson sets up the counter attacks, if Gillespie can´t tackle, yer fecked.
I saw some time ago that Iceland were not even favourites with the bookies.
If NI get a draw they will be doing well.

Chrisowc

Was able to watch the Iceland v Spain match in Riga.  The rain was sideways across the pitch.  As Mark Sidebottom said I'd better pack the wooly hat and the wallet.  (£8 per pint & £15 for fish and chips!!)

From a football perspective Iceland rode their luck on saturday against 10 men.  Northern Ireland will need to be more direct in their play tomorrow than they were on saturday.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Main Street

Not quite a "rode their luck" scenario. 
Spain couldn´t convert possesion to chances, Iceland had 3 or 4 clear cut chances to win the game. Spain were relieved at the end to gain a point.