Bad news for Leeds United fans

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2007, 08:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_2639663,00.html

Leeds United must start the League One season with a 15-point deduction after receiving their Football League share.

The Whites have been trying to secure the share in time to begin the new campaign next weekend against Tranmere Rovers.

But in order to take up their spot in League One for the coming season, Dennis Wise's Leeds must accept a 15-point penalty.

An appeal has been lodged with the Football League, with Leeds releasing a statement to confirm the announcement.

Appeal

"We are pleased to announce that the board of the Football League Ltd have agreed to transfer the share in the Football League to Leeds United 2007 Ltd," read the statement.

"The Football League have transferred the share in 'exceptional circumstances' and have imposed a 15-point penalty for the start of the 2007/08 season.

"The club have appealed against this sanction. The timescale for the appeal is not yet known.

"The club has received an amount of criticism from supporters for not keeping them up to date with developments during what has been a very difficult time for us all.

"We appreciate this policy was difficult for fans to accept, but please be assured that this was done in the best interests of Leeds United which is justified by the return of the share.

"We are now planning the appeal and we are able to complete the squad rebuilding for the 2007/08 season, albeit with only one week to go before our first League One game at Tranmere."

Datsun Donaghy

That'll piss the hell out of Rufus - wonder will they get above zero point? (insert French accent)

wrecked_em

Balboa

Square Ball

who is to blame for all this? Surely they will amass enough points to stay in Div 1?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

magpie seanie

Last year 47 points was the cut off for relegation so Leeds will need to earn about 65 points on the field to be safe.

ONeill

There's bound to be a great book/film in years to come on the whole Leeds story from the Valencia game/top of the league to starting the third tier at -15.

Wise is a classy lad though...from the Leeds website (on the points deduction)

"It's laughable,"  said Dennis. "Not only have they taken my arms and legs off, now they've cut my balls off as well. It's just not funny at all. We'd like to know deep down the real reasons. If you look at the teams in our division I'm sure they probably wouldn't have voted for us.

"Some will have done it for their own reasons and probably not the right reasons. Everyone wants to get a head start, so 23 teams in our league have got a very good head start on us.

"I'm disappointed with the whole thing. Minus 15 points. We have to get 106 points to win the league, 92 points to get in the play-offs and 70 points to stay up. Lovely. Thank you very much.

"It's so disappointing, but these players, these fans are going to stick together and be strong and try to achieve it.
Dennis Wise looks on at York

"It's going to be very difficult. A lot of people want to see us fall flat on our faces and they've helped make the situation as well.

"So we've got to fight against it, pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get on with it."
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.