Cambridge Analytica & Facebook

Started by screenexile, March 19, 2018, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on March 20, 2018, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 20, 2018, 11:09:02 AM
policitcal party spend bucket loads of money and gets more votes  and gets elected
of course advertising works whay do you think unilever and coke spend billions every year on it and you can be sure they was that spend to be as targeted and as efficient as possible.
and yes it works on you  Too despite wat you might think.
can some one point out what CA broke the Law , then they should face full sactions of the law, other wise its just grist to the mill

Well they've said they have offered political opponents bribes and set up stings involving prostitutes before which I'm pretty sure violates a few laws!

On the Facebook side of things Cambridge Analytica bought a load of Facebook data that was obtained illegally and used it to shape the messages sent out for elections . . . which is also illegal.

Blah, blah blah

I'm with her

Blah

She won the popular vote

Blah

Russian collusion

Blah

Rascism

Blah

Sexism

Cambridge Analytics

Blah

screenexile

shark

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 11:54:01 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 20, 2018, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 20, 2018, 11:09:02 AM
policitcal party spend bucket loads of money and gets more votes  and gets elected
of course advertising works whay do you think unilever and coke spend billions every year on it and you can be sure they was that spend to be as targeted and as efficient as possible.
and yes it works on you  Too despite wat you might think.
can some one point out what CA broke the Law , then they should face full sactions of the law, other wise its just grist to the mill

Well they've said they have offered political opponents bribes and set up stings involving prostitutes before which I'm pretty sure violates a few laws!

On the Facebook side of things Cambridge Analytica bought a load of Facebook data that was obtained illegally and used it to shape the messages sent out for elections . . . which is also illegal.

Blah, blah blah

I'm with her

Blah

She won the popular vote

Blah

Russian collusion

Blah

Rascism

Blah

Sexism

Cambridge Analytics

Blah

You're missing the point here completely. Which isn't surprising.  This is much bigger than one election in the US. I (and many others from what I can see) care about the privacy of data. CA and FB have overstepped. That much is clear. US politics is a drop in the ocean. I accept that those living in the US may feel differently about that as they have to live there. Thankfully most of us don't.

Gabriel_Hurl

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 20, 2018, 01:03:07 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 20, 2018, 12:00:09 PM
Poor whitey . . .

Spreading it across 2 threads now

When I see the AG of Massachusetts with her hair on fire about something I am automatically skeptical. When CNN devote most of their morning show to it.....I'm doing doubly skeptical.

Collusion myth is imploding so they need something else to delegitimize Trumps victory

Looks like Obama did something very similar (according to one of HIS staffers) in 2012

https://heavy.com/news/2018/03/carol-davidsen-obama-facebook-tweets-davidson/

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 01:09:21 PM
Poor whitey . . .

When I see the AG of Massachusetts with her hair on fire about something I am automatically skeptical. When CNN devote most of their morning show to it.....I'm doing doubly skeptical.

Collusion myth is imploding so they need something else to delegitimize Trumps victory

Looks like Obama did something very similar (according to one of HIS staffers) in 2012

Did he or his team illegally obtain Facebook data?? If they did I should hope they get the book thrown at them!!!

The issue here is that they didn't though did they . . . keep going whitey the false equivalence is good viewing for those who wouldn't be used to it!!

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on March 20, 2018, 02:12:52 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 01:09:21 PM
Poor whitey . . .

Did he or his team illegally obtain Facebook data?? If they did I should hope they get the book thrown at them!!!

The issue here is that they didn't though did they . . . keep going whitey the false equivalence is good viewing for those who wouldn't be used to it!!

Actually its more concerning to me that Facebook seem to have let one political campaign have unfettered access while blocking others. 

Who the fvck are they to call balls and strikes in a political campaign? 

whitey

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/opinion/technology/379245-whats-genius-for-obama-is-scandal-when-it-comes-to-trump%3famp

Haha....it's all above board when it benefits the Democrats, but when it's turned back on them by the Republicans it burning pitchfork time

Hardy

"These <stories they put out about their opponents> are things that don't necessarily need to be true as long as they're believed."
- Alexander Nix, CEO, Cambridge Analytica.

armaghniac

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 03:47:12 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/opinion/technology/379245-whats-genius-for-obama-is-scandal-when-it-comes-to-trump%3famp

Haha....it's all above board when it benefits the Democrats, but when it's turned back on them by the Republicans it burning pitchfork time

This is not the same thing at all. If you directly go to a Democrat website and choose to login then that is a conscious choice you make and you are aware that they know about you. If you go to a website with nothing to do with politics and they sell your details on to Cambridge Analytica then that is a totally different order of magnitude.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2018, 05:09:52 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 03:47:12 PM

This is not the same thing at all. If you directly go to a Democrat website and choose to login then that is a conscious choice you make and you are aware that they know about you. If you go to a website with nothing to do with politics and they sell your details on to Cambridge Analytica then that is a totally different order of magnitude.

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and he'll tow the party line that the Dems did it so it's fine that Republicans did too even though they actually broke the law!

whitey

What specific law did they break and who are "they" ?

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU