Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Longford

Ah I knew he didn't own it. Hence the question. Thought it was strange to begin with that they set it up the way they did with him when it was almost certainly gonna be a temporary position he had with the team. Having a different s&c coach is likely to have avery detrimental effect on him trying to run a seperate business from there.

The Insider

2014 championship format going in front of clubs next week ,
Senior will still have 12 . Choice between 4 groups of 3 with predetermined q/final draw , or present format of 3 separate draws for each round followed by open draw for q/finals with no repeat pairings till semi final and no score difference .
Intermediate will now have 10, Choice between 2 groups of 5 or present format of 3 separate draws for each round followed by open draw for q/finals ,with no repeat pairings till semi finals and no score difference
Junior "A" Forgney and Shroid with the 3 strings of any club bar Killoe and Longford Slashers

LaurelEye

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Congrats Laureleye - the long wait for the half-parish is over, even longer than Colmcille's for the championship.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 02, 2013, 08:52:50 AM
Congrats Laureleye - the long wait for the half-parish is over, even longer than Colmcille's for the championship.

Thanks, Billy - all the sweeter for being unexpected - I think our hopes for this year were mainly riding on the under-21 team next weekend.

Only two of the team that last won it are still alive (there is another still living who was on the bench on the day) and the first place in the parish that the cup was brought to yesterday evening was the graveyard.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Congrats Laurel and glad to hear the phone is back working. All that scandal I've been texting you is now lost in the ether.

Do ye regret not playing for the Div1 title in the same game - I believe this was on offer.

At least Cashel Slashers will be missing Foy the next day out. I believe he went medieval on a few Mullinalaghta gossuns.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 02, 2013, 05:12:42 PM
Congrats Laurel and glad to hear the phone is back working. All that scandal I've been texting you is now lost in the ether.

Do ye regret not playing for the Div1 title in the same game - I believe this was on offer.

The Leader Cup is the big one. The Leader Cup is the historic folklore of Mullinalaghta. The Leader Cup is the lighted candles left on the graves of the five-in-a-row team last night. It is our Beowulf, our Fenian Cycle, our Táin Bó Cuailgne.

The Division 1 play-off is a new-fangled gee-gaw in comparison.

Not that we won't want to win that as well.

QuoteAt least Cashel Slashers will be missing Foy the next day out. I believe he went medieval on a few Mullinalaghta gossuns.

Never say never where Slashers suspensions are concerned. Foy went medieval on a seventeen-year-old in the semi-final against Abbey - in clear view of the authorities - and got away with it. He got a straight red against us in the league and still was back for the Killoe match the week after.

North Longford

Well done to the Mullinalaghtas........I'm sure whatever Peter done the Laeder will note the unjustness of his red card.!! Going by that particular publication they are the only unjustly treated team in the county and unfortunately for them it appears to happen quite regularly!!!

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on December 03, 2013, 03:11:49 AM
Well done to the Mullinalaghtas........I'm sure whatever Peter done the Laeder will note the unjustness of his red card.!! Going by that particular publication they are the only unjustly treated team in the county and fortuneteller it appears to happen quite regularly!!!

That would be the third straight red of the year for poor Foy (though one of them managed to turn into a second yellow in time for the Killoe match). I'm sure the Mullinalaghta player currently in James's getting a plate fitted in his jaw as a result of his head kicking Peter's boot on the ground will concur.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteI'm sure the Mullinalaghta player currently in James's getting a plate fitted in his jaw as a result of his head kicking Peter's boot on the ground will concur.

Now that is pure shocking and I hope to God that the ref's report will have this and a lengthy suspension is served.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 03, 2013, 02:11:04 PM
QuoteI'm sure the Mullinalaghta player currently in James's getting a plate fitted in his jaw as a result of his head kicking Peter's boot on the ground will concur.

Now that is pure shocking and I hope to God that the ref's report will have this and a lengthy suspension is served.

The broken jaw only became obvious later on in the evening. As to your hopes, the first one might be fulfilled but you know as well as I do that the second one won't be.

The Insider

Longford Slashers plc rumoured to be chasing Brian Kavanagh and Emlyn Mulligan for the 2014 season. Both to be eligible would have to relocate to the county. Awkward for Kavanagh unless he gets a teaching position closer to home , while Mulligan works in  Longford . Declan Reilly's name also mentioned with a  transfer but highly unlikely to move from Colmcille.

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Insider on December 15, 2013, 01:15:14 PM
Longford Slashers plc rumoured to be chasing Brian Kavanagh and Emlyn Mulligan for the 2014 season. Both to be eligible would have to relocate to the county. Awkward for Kavanagh unless he gets a teaching position closer to home , while Mulligan works in  Longford . Declan Reilly's name also mentioned with a  transfer but highly unlikely to move from Colmcille.

Kavanagh, from what we've heard up in the borderlands, has denied the rumour.

Other clubs in this county might have more justified appeal for Mulligan (https://twitter.com/emlynmulligan/status/407210323637440512) if he were to move again (which I suspect he won't unless it's back to Melvin Gaels).

And as for Declan Reilly, I'd have thought the cousin with the broken jaw is more likely to move to ThugLife than Little Dec is.

And more generally...

...the spectacle of a club with a catchment area of one-fifth of the population of the county mounting raiding parties on smaller clubs (or trying to strangle the minor sections of other clubs so as not to have to try to develop the game amongst people in the town whose surnames and faces don't fit) is an absolute disgrace in any case. I'd say they should be ashamed of themselves except that it's clear that they don't do shame.

Shamrock Shore

Nothing like a bit of Slasher bashing this time of the year.

It's good clean fun.

Billys Boots

What is it with clubs in Longford - do they all have pinky and the brain on their committee?

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...