Motions to congress

Started by believebelive, November 10, 2006, 10:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

believebelive

This topic got a little bit of interest on the last board. Im going to try and put a few motions forward at my club AGM with the view to getting them passed and on to county convention. The general consensus from watching the views on this board is that most GAA people are annoyed about the club game.
Anyway is there any chance we could get a universal motion that we all put to our clubs and see what happens.
As far as I know you cannot change the rules this year - whho is the rules expert here so we know what were doing..lol

Lone Shark

I've had a go this year. The idea being that if players/teams escape sanction on the grounds of a silly technicality, then the sanction can be re-applied with procedures correctly followed. It would stop stupid appeals on nitpicking grounds (I hope) because people would realise that either the evidence is in their favour or else they will eventually have to serve an appropriate punishment, rather than escape because the appropriate committee read the ref's report before a cup of coffee rather than after it.

Here's my wording, though if anyone has a better way of phrasing it, feel free to try and put it through your own clubs.

Amendment to Official Guide

That Riail 156, leathanach 92 T.O. (2006) (Part 1) be amended by the insertion of the following new section (h). Existing sections (h), (i) and (j) to be listed as sections (i), (j) and (k), respectively. New section (h) to read:

In the event of the appellant being successful in their appeal due to misapplication of the rules of the association, the relevant disciplinary body shall have the right to re-impose another sanction with the rules applied correctly.

Rules affected or possibly affected: Riail 47, 142, 143, 145, 151, 156, 159 T.O. Part 1

believebelive

Sounds good lone shark - almost too sensible to be got through - what wud the legal minds make of the wording? Has BC made the trip across yet?

tayto

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 10, 2006, 10:22:39 AM
I've had a go this year. The idea being that if players/teams escape sanction on the grounds of a silly technicality, then the sanction can be re-applied with procedures correctly followed. It would stop stupid appeals on nitpicking grounds (I hope) because people would realise that either the evidence is in their favour or else they will eventually have to serve an appropriate punishment, rather than escape because the appropriate committee read the ref's report before a cup of coffee rather than after it.

Here's my wording, though if anyone has a better way of phrasing it, feel free to try and put it through your own clubs.

Amendment to Official Guide

That Riail 156, leathanach 92 T.O. (2006) (Part 1) be amended by the insertion of the following new section (h). Existing sections (h), (i) and (j) to be listed as sections (i), (j) and (k), respectively. New section (h) to read:

In the event of the appellant being successful in their appeal due to misapplication of the rules of the association, the relevant disciplinary body shall have the right to re-impose another sanction with the rules applied correctly.

Rules affected or possibly affected: Riail 47, 142, 143, 145, 151, 156, 159 T.O. Part 1

That's a great idea Lone! We look a bit stupid whinging about the aussies when we've lads getting away with murder in our own games.

I wouldnt mind a modified sin-bin, or some other way of punishing teams that are fouling again and again, even if they are genuine fouls [by that i mean not cynical] a lot of games, at club level especially, get ruined by serial fouling. Maybe something like in basketball where you commit X number of fould and you give a free shot on goal or something like that ... not sure which would be the best system but i think something could be brought in to reduce the number of fouls.

Fionntamhnach

Lone Shark's idea is in theory a good idea but in practice it is open to abuse. The main problem with disciplinary bodies that that over the last few years they have, at national level at least, only reacted very much to media pressure and ignored similar incidents that for whatever reason aren't given the same publicity treatment. If the first disciplinary charge was thrown out on technicalities, what is to stop the second one also being thrown out on the same case with the said body that was ignorant enough not knowing how to apply it the first time right.

The sin-bin is one that could work well after some teething problems to start with. It would help cut down on a lot of cynical fouling.

cavanmaniac

It's not rocket science but I hope there's hard and fast rules laid down, along with real punishments, firmly dictating the maximum number of weeks a county board can leave its club players idle for even if its county team is still active in the championship. Players should only be quarantined by a county manager in the week before a county championship game IMO.

Heavy penalties should be incurred by any county board stepping out of line, such as expulsion from competitions, whatever it takes.

This one change would do so much for the club players.

Fionntamhnach

Well I suppose I should put my own ideas forward...

1. The inter-county championship season in both hurling and football to be condensed between June and September.

2. Extra time to apply to all inter-county championship games in football and hurling except All-Ireland Semi Finals and Final.

3. The GAC and provincial councils to set out dates for inter-county championships no later than the end of January, with the county boards to have theirs for club games set by the start of March. Failure of county boards to publish their fixture lists in time, or to not follow their own dates for club games except for very good reasons will see them being fined and possibly docked points in the forthcoming national league.

4. A player sent off in a game through two bookable offences misses the next game of the competition they are playing in.

tayto

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 10, 2006, 05:14:58 PM
The sin-bin is one that could work well after some teething problems to start with. It would help cut down on a lot of cynical fouling.

I think they went overboard with a sin bin for every yellow. A better way to work it would be to have set sin bin offences and a referee, at his discretion, should be able to warn a teams captain that if his team are commiting too many fouls he will sin bin the next player on that team to give away a free. Or something like that.

tayto

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 10, 2006, 05:16:46 PM
It's not rocket science but I hope there's hard and fast rules laid down, along with real punishments, firmly dictating the maximum number of weeks a county board can leave its club players idle for even if its county team is still active in the championship. Players should only be quarantined by a county manager in the week before a county championship game IMO.

Heavy penalties should be incurred by any county board stepping out of line, such as expulsion from competitions, whatever it takes.

This one change would do so much for the club players.

I agree with that. I'd much prefer to try and play club matches during the sumer in tandem with inter-county championships then trying to condense the championship too much, we need the hype and coverage that the championship gets in the papers for as long as possible.

tayto

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 10, 2006, 05:29:46 PM
Well I suppose I should put my own ideas forward...

1. The inter-county championship season in both hurling and football to be condensed between June and September.

2. Extra time to apply to all inter-county championship games in football and hurling except All-Ireland Semi Finals and Final.

3. The GAC and provincial councils to set out dates for inter-county championships no later than the end of January, with the county boards to have theirs for club games set by the start of March. Failure of county boards to publish their fixture lists in time, or to not follow their own dates for club games except for very good reasons will see them being fined and possibly docked points in the forthcoming national league.

4. A player sent off in a game through two bookable offences misses the next game of the competition they are playing in.

1] I think I prefer the idea of stopping inter-county managers calling off club games during the summer. If the same rule is there for all counties then it's fair enough. Also if anything i think the league could be shortened, the championship brings in the crowds, money, media attention etc the longer it goes on the better IMO. Why not just play the league as a straight up league, no semis or final, and then start the championship a little earlier and spread it out more, Possibly playing more matches on the same weekend thus allowing club weekends, that way club matches are played in the best conditions. There is plenty of wiggle room really, surely something can be sorted to allow club players have regualr games over the summer without curtailing the championship.

2] Agree, even though i think it's fair that some games end in a draw it plays havoc with the fixtures. [cant see it being passed tho!]

3] Agree

4] Spot on. Simple and effective deterent.

Another thing I think is worth trying is to link the league to the championship somehow. also mandating Galway and Antrim into the Leinster championship in hurling. [woud have to change the name obviosly]