Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Commentator on.The radio today suggested that Cech has never saved a penalty in the EPL.   Anyone know how many he's faced and if that stat is true?

ONeill

I wouldn't be surprised.

This late Wenger era is just crap.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

Can you pinpoint the moment/year  where it went to shite?

I mean Liverpool have been shite for a long time now but it's an entertaining kind of shite, kind like the late late toy show or winning streak.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mrdeeds

Quote from: StGallsGAA on November 05, 2017, 10:46:06 PM
Commentator on.The radio today suggested that Cech has never saved a penalty in the EPL.   Anyone know how many he's faced and if that stat is true?

13 wirh Arsenal all scored. Not sure on his Chelsea record.

tiempo

Quote from: trileacman on November 06, 2017, 06:45:12 PM

I mean Liverpool have been shite for a long time now but it's an entertaining kind of shite, kind like the late late toy show or winning streak.

Quite a number of serious miscalculations in succession.

Beat by Utd after 49 game unbeaten run, begins to immediately dismantle that squad, Boro Pimorac his right hand man has said that outright
Let Edu go to Valencia on free, Parlour to Middlesborough for free, strips leadership spine from team replaces with kids, pathetically refuses to give 30 year olds more than 1 year contract extension despite legions of them running the show for AC Milan in that era and Scholes, Giggs, etc. lording the Premiership well into their late 30's
Sol Campbell scores in Champions League Final, next season is playing for Portsmouth
Let Ashley Cole the 1 genuine world class homegrown player to come through the youth in his time go to Chelsea, signs Gallas the French mercenary in return
Gives Gallas the captaincy and Dennis Bergkamps number 10 jersey
Refuses to spend a modest sum on Van Der Sar from Fulham or Shay Given and instead insists on Almunia, a total clown
Signs Silvestre, Squillachi, Flamini for a second time, Nasri, persists with Diaby despite crocked, massively baised towards French players
Persists with Eboue, Clichy, Senderos, Bentdner, etc. despite being truely shocking
Buys Lasanna Diarra - inspired signing, MOTM in his first 3 games, drops him, Diarra calls Wenger out, Wenger sells Diarra in the next transfer window, literally bought in August sold in January
Re-signs Sol Campbell, re-signs Henry, re-signs Lehman, massively sentimental towards them
Sells Van Persie to Utd
Persists with Walcott (who has taken £60m out of the club in wages and sign on fees since he has been there!) but lets Serge Gnabry go
Refuses first buy back option on Fabregas
Lets Ozil and Sanchez contracts run down
Wastes Koscielny's career, a guy that could have been at Real, Barca, etc. by sorrounding him with second rate cannon fodder

Fairly chronological off top of the head. Had potential to win 3 or 4 leagues in last 11/12 years, pissed it away with pure stubbornness, unwillingness to spend, French bias bullshit, ineptitude and in the end he's just well past his sell by date, and you may forget the recent FA Cups, damn lucky to beat Wigan and Hull at Wembley in 2014. Champions League performance a much more accurate barometer of the fuckery he's overseen since the invincibles.

redhandofgod

tiempo

Won the league 3 times playing 4-4-2, but when Barca came along with a formula based on Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Messi, Villa, Neymar, etc. etc. he insisted on 4-3-3, Barca light bullshit with light frame players to match, hasn't played 4-4-2 since 2006, Leicester played it and won the league the other year... unreal antics.

ONeill

Quote from: tiempo on November 06, 2017, 10:21:35 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 06, 2017, 06:45:12 PM

Quite a number of serious miscalculations in succession.

Beat by Utd after 49 game unbeaten run, begins to immediately dismantle that squad, Boro Pimorac his right hand man has said that outright
Let Edu go to Valencia on free, Parlour to Middlesborough for free, strips leadership spine from team replaces with kids, pathetically refuses to give 30 year olds more than 1 year contract extension despite legions of them running the show for AC Milan in that era and Scholes, Giggs, etc. lording the Premiership well into their late 30's
Sol Campbell scores in Champions League Final, next season is playing for Portsmouth
Let Ashley Cole the 1 genuine world class homegrown player to come through the youth in his time go to Chelsea, signs Gallas the French mercenary in return
Gives Gallas the captaincy and Dennis Bergkamps number 10 jersey
Refuses to spend a modest sum on Van Der Sar from Fulham or Shay Given and instead insists on Almunia, a total clown
Signs Silvestre, Squillachi, Flamini for a second time, Nasri, persists with Diaby despite crocked, massively baised towards French players
Persists with Eboue, Clichy, Senderos, Bentdner, etc. despite being truely shocking
Buys Lasanna Diarra - inspired signing, MOTM in his first 3 games, drops him, Diarra calls Wenger out, Wenger sells Diarra in the next transfer window, literally bought in August sold in January
Re-signs Sol Campbell, re-signs Henry, re-signs Lehman, massively sentimental towards them
Sells Van Persie to Utd
Persists with Walcott (who has taken £60m out of the club in wages and sign on fees since he has been there!) but lets Serge Gnabry go
Refuses first buy back option on Fabregas
Lets Ozil and Sanchez contracts run down
Wastes Koscielny's career, a guy that could have been at Real, Barca, etc. by sorrounding him with second rate cannon fodder

Fairly chronological off top of the head. Had potential to win 3 or 4 leagues in last 11/12 years, pissed it away with pure stubbornness, unwillingness to spend, French bias bullshit, ineptitude and in the end he's just well past his sell by date, and you may forget the recent FA Cups, damn lucky to beat Wigan and Hull at Wembley in 2014. Champions League performance a much more accurate barometer of the fuckery he's overseen since the invincibles.

Haha! That's about right! Dein leaving around 2007 seemed to have an impact too.

Syferus

Is it he's biased towards French players as much as he's both got a great scouting system in France and London is very appealing for French players?

I can think of more hits than misses when it comes to his French buys. Even this season Laca looks well worth the money, and it would be hard to make the case that LK was a bad buy either. Giroud for what they paid for him and continue to pay him is good, even if he will never be the next Ibra.

Lemar is a class player too and he wasn't making much of a misstep gonig after him either.

ONeill

Captain Obvious

All Arsenal in the last 30 minutes of that half and have somehow not scored.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 02, 2017, 06:21:27 PM
Because that's what you get when you spend the money on the world's best keeper instead of going for a Chelsea reserve player on a free transfer.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 02, 2017, 07:42:39 PM
Because that's what you get when you spend the money on the world's best keeper instead of going for a Chelsea reserve player on a free transfer.

Manchester City will score 3 or 4 goals next weekend in the Derby if given the same amount of shots on target.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 02, 2017, 07:42:39 PM
£10 million

Syferus

Careful you don't put out your back reaching for that joke, StGall.