Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 25, 2018, 10:16:46 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 24, 2018, 11:59:58 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 24, 2018, 11:14:23 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 24, 2018, 07:16:50 PM
PTG's take on it - https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/peter-canavan-you-could-interpret-the-timing-of-rts-statement-this-week-as-trying-to-put-pressure-on-tyrone-37246678.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ffs, more everyone's out to get us. Harte is really gonna milk this paranoia to whip the players into a frenzy.
This is one time when I back Mickey Harte and all of Tyrone by the looks of it, 100%.
The "sketch" wasn't funny  and, even if it was, the timing wasn't coincidental; it was meant to poke fun at a man still trying to come to terms with his recent, terrible loss.
Any self-respecting individual would upset by the by the content and timing of this pathetic attempt to raise a laugh at a bereaved parent's grief.
RTE's failure to make any meaningful attempt to apologise for the uncalled for insult or to reprimand the so-called "comedian" should be remembered also.

They covered themselves more in shit than glory on this one.

Well said Lar, it really was a shameful little piece of vindictive venom, ill becoming of any institution that has designs on being anything more than a pretty parochial irrelevance in the grander scheme of things.

Bit over the top there, Fear. Imagine judging Tyrone on one tackle. There is always room for nuance. Like Mugsy's dummies.

It is a pity the issue is so polarising.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2018, 12:04:53 PM
Bit over the top there, Fear. Imagine judging Tyrone on one tackle. There is always room for nuance. Like Mugsy's dummies.

It is a pity the issue is so polarising.

This wasn't an isolated incident, they have form, and not just with ourselves.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

joemamas

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 24, 2018, 11:59:58 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 24, 2018, 11:14:23 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 24, 2018, 07:16:50 PM
PTG's take on it - https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/peter-canavan-you-could-interpret-the-timing-of-rts-statement-this-week-as-trying-to-put-pressure-on-tyrone-37246678.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ffs, more everyone's out to get us. Harte is really gonna milk this paranoia to whip the players into a frenzy.
This is one time when I back Mickey Harte and all of Tyrone by the looks of it, 100%.
The "sketch" wasn't funny  and, even if it was, the timing wasn't coincidental; it was meant to poke fun at a man still trying to come to terms with his recent, terrible loss.
Any self-respecting individual would upset by the by the content and timing of this pathetic attempt to raise a laugh at a bereaved parent's grief.
RTE's failure to make any meaningful attempt to apologise for the uncalled for insult or to reprimand the so-called "comedian" should be remembered also.

They covered themselves more in shit than glory on this one.

+1.
A classless shower of pricks at best

Ambrose

Quote from: joemamas on August 25, 2018, 06:09:25 PM
A classless shower of pricks at best

That's Tyrone in a nutshell. Tyrone for Psalm
You can't live off history and tradition forever

SkillfulBill

I fully respect Mickeys stance on RTE. I am no Harte supporter when it comes to how he has had Tyrone play in the past and possibly in the future. However when faced with such family tragedy and for the national broadcaster to have been so insensitive towards this and to actually facilitate and support such a personal attack was totally unacceptable.  The players have chosen to fully respect an support their manager in this and that has to be applauded.  This is no longer an issue for Tyrone people  and is the one issue that you will find that Mickey has the full support of his family the county board his players and the people of Tyrone.Fcuk RTE and Tir Eoghan Abu

rrhf

RedHand88

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 25, 2018, 09:17:13 PM
I fully respect Mickeys stance on RTE. I am no Harte supporter when it comes to how he has had Tyrone play in the past and possibly in the future. However when faced with such family tragedy and for the national broadcaster to have been so insensitive towards this and to actually facilitate and support such a personal attack was totally unacceptable.  The players have chosen to fully respect an support their manager in this and that has to be applauded.  This is no longer an issue for Tyrone people  and is the one issue that you will find that Mickey has the full support of his family the county board his players and the people of Tyrone.Fcuk RTE and Tir Eoghan Abu

Has the county board stated such?

Unless you've asked everyone in the county, you can't say such things.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on August 25, 2018, 11:47:51 PM

If the county board have any major issues with it they would have replaced Mickey years ago. I don't hear to many people from the county kicking up much fuss over it in support of RTE and if the opinions on this board are reflective of the opinions in the county then yes the people of Tyrone are generally unconcerned by it. Just because you may hold another view on it does not mean you are not in a small minority who hold that view.

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 26, 2018, 12:04:49 AM

If the county board have any major issues with it they would have replaced Mickey years ago. I don't hear to many people from the county kicking up much fuss over it in support of RTE and if the opinions on this board are reflective of the opinions in the county then yes the people of Tyrone are generally unconcerned by it. Just because you may hold another view on it does not mean you are not in a small minority who hold that view.

Well, there was contract issues with Mickey in the last 2/3 years. There was a point where it was unclear he'd be kept on. Maybe the rte thing was an issue? Who knows.

To be honest, good results and good c'ship season helps people forget such things. If McGeeney was winning us Ulsters and getting us to AI semis/final, people wouldn't give a hoot if he was strangling kittens on a Friday night.

Just because you haven't heard anyone complain don't mean there's nobody complaining. You could be just talking to the wrong people.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on August 26, 2018, 12:16:49 AM

Well, there was contract issues with Mickey in the last 2/3 years. There was a point where it was unclear he'd be kept on. Maybe the rte thing was an issue? Who knows.

To be honest, good results and good c'ship season helps people forget such things. If McGeeney was winning us Ulsters and getting us to AI semis/final, people wouldn't give a hoot if he was strangling kittens on a Friday night.

Just because you haven't heard anyone complain don't mean there's nobody complaining. You could be just talking to the wrong people.

Could be Benny but living in the county and being involved with the club scene I don't hear to much annoyance about the RTE thing plenty off people who have an issue about how the team has been managed over last few years but on the RTE issue that transcends football and I do think Mickey does have the support of the vast majority of Tyrone people. Somethings are beyond the pale and RTEs treatment of the Harte family at the time was reprehensible and unforgiveable regardless if they felt aggrieved by Mickeys interference in internal appointments. Much as you might feel that Tyrone people are split on this issue because they might have issues with Mickeys management you will find you are way off the mark. When it comes to the important things in life like family a community will always support their own. You are wrong to think otherwise.

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 26, 2018, 12:31:02 AM

Could be Benny but living in the county and being involved with the club scene I don't hear to much annoyance about the RTE thing plenty off people who have an issue about how the team has been managed over last few years but on the RTE issue that transcends football and I do think Mickey does have the support of the vast majority of Tyrone people. Somethings are beyond the pale and RTEs treatment of the Harte family at the time was reprehensible and unforgiveable regardless if they felt aggrieved by Mickeys interference in internal appointments. Much as you might feel that Tyrone people are split on this issue because they might have issues with Mickeys management you will find you are way off the mark. When it comes to the important things in life like family a community will always support their own. You are wrong to think otherwise.

No I'm not saying the county is split down the middle on this. I was drawing attention to you saying the whole county was behind Harte, when it's difficult to say that for certain. It's even difficult to say the whole CB is behind him too, given recent contract issues.

It's a bit like saying all of Ireland were in favour of the same sex marriage vote, when 750,000 actually voted No. You just don't hear the views of the No's. Ok maybe that's not a great example, but you know what I mean.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on August 26, 2018, 12:53:30 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 26, 2018, 12:31:02 AM

No I'm not saying the county is split down the middle on this. I was drawing attention to you saying the whole county was behind Harte, when it's difficult to say that for certain. It's even difficult to say the whole CB is behind him too, given recent contract issues.

It's a bit like saying all of Ireland were in favour of the same sex marriage vote, when 750,000 actually voted No. You just don't hear the views of the No's. Ok maybe that's not a great example, but you know what I mean.

Ok Benny with out the need for a plebiscite on the issue would it be ok for me to say from my experience it would appear that a majority of the county board and the majority of the people of Tyrone who may have an opinion on the matter appear to have little or no issue with the stance taken by the Tyrone team not to co operate with RTE. Not quite sure what your issue may be in regards to my opinion of the general consensus with the county on the subject but there you have it.

give her dixie

Peter Canavan: All of Tyrone united behind RTE ban

August 24 2018

If you have never been there then it is hard to judge. So if Mickey Harte decides that he doesn't want to deal with RTE after a tasteless sketch on radio then I think Tyrone people are okay with that. Being honest, whether the Tyrone football team co-operate with the broadcaster is not something that consumes us in the county.

Probably the only surprise about this whole episode was that it became a story this week. Monday's statement only confirmed what we already knew. RTE were not welcome in Garvaghey. That's been the way of things since 2011.

Confusion reigned over the leaking of the letter to RTE regarding Brian Carthy's role, and whatever your take on that, the sketch was wrong. Plain and simple. I think there's a broad acceptance of that.

In Mickey's eyes, the response after that was inadequate. You can only imagine the pain he was going through at the time and how much worse that made things. The aftermath wasn't dealt with in a satisfactory manner so Mickey felt he had to make a stand. I think people here know he's a principled man and they admire him for that. People know what Mickey and his family have gone through and fully understand his decision.

So, in truth, the news was there was no news. RTE breathed life into a non-story with their statement. It was released at just the same time the Tyrone All-Ireland press day was kicking off.

You could say that seeing as we are preparing for an All-Ireland final they had to clarify their position with relation to their coverage of the biggest game of the year. However, if you were of a more sinister mind, you could interpret the statement, and in particular its timing, as something designed to put pressure on Mickey and the team.

I know there were moves afoot a few years ago to try and bring the dispute to an end. Mickey wasn't for moving and the players followed suit. They went to the county board and told them they were going to stand behind Mickey. It's not like they are being made to do this against their will. It was out of a sense of loyalty to their manager.

And once you are out of that group, then you're free to do what you want. You see that with a few former Tyrone footballers working with RTE in a variety of guises. And I know Mickey has no issue with those players now.

I've been asked a few times if this row is part of an ongoing unease between Tyrone football and RTE that can be traced back to the 'puke football' comment and on to the 'following them around like a bad smell' line from Colm O'Rourke and maybe a few other barbs in between.

And there probably are those who feel Tyrone are regularly on the receiving end, whether this is due to their disengagement with RTE or their style of football, one never knows.

Honestly, I think, as a county, we are past that. We know now that when you are at the top table, people talk about you in very different ways. It just comes with the territory. You can see a bit of that in the way the conversation around this Dublin team has changed. For many, the top dogs are there to have their chain yanked.

There's a new man at the top of RTE sport now in Declan McBennett, who is of a GAA pedigree. His initial soundbites have been positive. He's come out and stated that personal attacks won't be tolerated. And maybe time will help heal that wound but it really hasn't been given much oxygen in the county this week. It seems like it's a bigger issue for other parts of the island than for Tyrone.

We're more interested in getting ready for the game. Mickey has proven down through the years that he's a master of getting his team right for the biggest days. And he has a track record of pulling something different out of the hat and when it comes to All-Ireland finals. This final puts two of the great modern managers against each other. Mickey is sitting on a three wins from three record in finals. Jim Gavin's is even better, having won all four of the deciders he's been in.

And these are the weeks where management teams earn their corn. When you're a player, you can only fine tune at this stage. Managers, however, are presented with a whole new set of problems and how they deal with them is key.

And the RTE row, along with distributing match tickets and organising post-match banquets and all the other little extras that come with a final, are all just distractions. In these weeks, small things can become big things quite quickly. I remember I got caught up a little with the ticket scramble before the 1995 All-Ireland final. You spend the week before the match trying to please everyone and make sure they're sorted. In that scenario, you're only wasting valuable energy.

There'll be loads of different personalties to handle this week. I have seen lads who are hyper in the build-up to a big game, other lads will be relaxed. A few will just want to be left alone with their thoughts. It's up to the manager to handle his group as he sees fit.

I see Limerick chose to travel up on the train the morning of their final. That's obviously what John Kiely felt would work for his lads. I heard Brendan Cummins tell a story about how, before an All-Ireland final, he heard the floodlights were going to be switched on. He hadn't planned for that and he said it threw him for a while.

With Tyrone back in 2005, Collie Holmes used to get a room of his own because of his sleeping habits. That's not something you want to learn when you're trying to get some rest the night before an All-Ireland final. They are small things but they're vital too.

Nervous energy will be coursing through lads and it can put you in strange situations. The day before the '05 decider, myself and a few others went for a few holes of golf. That game ended when Brian McGuigan drove a buggy into a pond in CityWest. The fact that Kevin Hughes was in the passenger seat might explain the mishap.

I read this week that in the hours before the 2008 final, Colm Cavanagh and Tyrone's sub keeper at the time, Johnny Curran, went for a few games of tennis. I know a lot of teams play cards when they are in camp. But you don't need someone losing a week's wages the night before the game either. Those are some of the little, seemingly innocuous things that can quickly become detrimental to the team if they aren't managed correctly.

And that's what both managers will be trying to do over the next week and a bit. They'll look to remove the variables, foresee any problems and head them off.

There's hundreds of little decisions to be made and whether management get them right or wrong will go a long way towards deciding whether their team plays to its potential on the big day.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/tyrone/peter-canavan-all-of-tyrone-united-behind-rte-ban-37246496.html
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

omagh_gael

I want to know what Collie Holmes' sleeping habits are that require him getting a room himself!