Papal Visit to Ireland

Started by T Fearon, September 28, 2015, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I was in Croke Park as one of the Choir of Thousands.

It was enjoyable......day flew.

Left my 'buts' and 'wells' at the gate and just enjoyed being part of it.

Yes - his homily was a bit 'meh' but what did you expect?

Syferus

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 25, 2018, 11:44:22 PM

Something with a bit more humility than a rambling speech about the dangers of smartphones at the dinner table and critique of your fûcking sign of the cross technique?

In the context of being 20 years late arriving to apologise for the abuses his company has inflicted on the people of Ireland it was honestly shocking in its relative brazenness. Did he think two minutes with Leo was enough apologising and contrition or something, Sham?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2018, 01:28:44 AM

Something with a bit more humility than a rambling speech about the dangers of smartphones at the dinner table and critique of your fûcking sign of the cross technique?

In the context of being 20 years late arriving to apologise for the abuses his company has inflicted on the people of Ireland it was honestly shocking in its relative brazenness. Did he think two minutes with Leo was enough apologising and contrition or something, Sham?

What was his speech? I'm stuck in hospital and was channel hopping all evening.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dougal Maguire

Good man SS. Glad you enjoyed it. Watched it at home and regretting that I wasn't there.  Was in Galway in 1979. We were told that horslips would be playing but it was late when our bus got there. Can you find out if they did actually play that night
Careful now

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2018, 01:35:47 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2018, 01:28:44 AM

What was his speech? I'm stuck in hospital and was channel hopping all evening.

It put back the start of Iron Man 3 by 35 minutes, we could leave it at that.

Imagine the bog standard Sunday sermon from an octogenarian parish priest with references to the Cold War, modern technology being dangerous, the importance of family, but add in that he felt like he had zero time restraints so he droned on and on for page after page after page. I was amazed at how poor it was.

If he just said three or four paragraphs and properly apologised to the Irish people he would have been praised endlessly in the media tomorrow but he let his own ego overtake him in a way that suggests despite him being better at PR than Ratzinger, he really doesn't get the hole the Church in the West is in, which is entirely of its own creation. Words are starting to ring very hollow with the fella given the action has not really amounted to anything of note.

I was also shocked that a celebration of family seemed entirely fixated on the most narrow description of family possible - two parents (of different sexes, but even I wasn't expecting respect being show to same sex families) and children. No single mothers, no widowed fathers, no childless married couples, at least from the 80% of it I saw. I had to chase a calf down the field to give him a dose around the time Riverdance was on, though.

It was frankly embarrassing to watch.

Dougal Maguire

Jesus you're an angry person
Careful now

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 26, 2018, 02:16:26 AM
Jesus you're an angry person

He's just crying out for attention! Wish people would stop quoting him as it destroys the ignore function.

Farrandeelin

I haven't been to many octogenarian priest's masses in a while. Our local curate, though in his 70s gives a lovely homily any time I go to mass.

He might apologise today in the Phoenix Park. And even that would only be words Syf...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

grounded

Quote from: balladmaker on August 25, 2018, 10:20:57 PM
QuoteHe must be knackered. On the go 10 hours or more. Isn't he over 80? He should be in bed by now.

Apparently he was on the go since 4am in Rome this morning, some man for his age.  Great production in Croke Park.

Thats it. The man is 81 i think. Fair play to him, he looked wrecked near the end. Hopefully weather fairs up a little for today.

ONeill

Found it sorta captivating.

Had zero interest in it until yesterday morning. So far all the speeches have been on the ball for the audience and timing. Thought the Pope's one last night was spot on. All about family values and none of this heaven or hell or damnation or paradise shite.

But today is crucial. Like Mickey next week, he has to do something big.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

The Pope - You think he'd be taller.

Wildweasel74

Roscommon, heathens county lol

Owen Brannigan

Desperation in Mayo as they get the Pope to sign a jersey to attempt to lift the curse!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1033659822208692224/video/1

Cunny Funt

I hear those that traveled to Knock this morning were forced to park their cars 2 miles outside of Knock in mucky fields and the people mostly old ones had to walk. Shuttle buses from Claremorris were meant to be the best option as they were to bring people close to event but Garda on the N17 wouldn't allow cars onto Claremorris and directed them to knock instead it all sounded like a total shambles. On top of all of that every there got soaked to the skin with the non stop rain.