Papal Visit to Ireland

Started by T Fearon, September 28, 2015, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2018, 11:18:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2018, 11:12:28 PM
Would only build 128 in Dublin....
But would be a start.
I wonder does Leo Varadkar feel any guilt for the abuse of 3,500 children sleeping in emergency hotel rooms tonight?

Yes. Let's try to change the spotlight the weekend that a Pope visits for the first time in 40 years. You definitely don't have ulterior motives or anything.
Pope was here on a work trip. Its outrageous that the taxpayer had to fund this.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rois on August 26, 2018, 09:59:02 PM
where did the 130k estimate come from? My ticket was not scanned as I went in so there can't be official figures to say that. Many "corrals" were empty because they didn't have a view of tv screens whilst others were over-capacity, and we just went into one that was more suitable. It felt like much more than 1.5x Croke Park.
The guards

smelmoth

Quote from: sid waddell on August 26, 2018, 11:39:12 PM
Looked a lot less than 130k there. More like 50/60k max.

Hard to be exact. But clear that as an event and as a PR exercise it was a flop. The church are probably now getting a belated insight into their significance in in Ireland.
It's also difficult to put a number on how many of that crowd were conscripts ie coach parties organised by schools and parishes and stocked with kids and choristers

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on September 28, 2015, 06:06:43 PM
Looks very likely! Will undoubtedly spark off a much needed spiritual revival.

Finger in the pulse as always

seafoid

The Pope said he was shocked by the Tuam mother and dead baby home. It wasn't Church policy in fairness. It wasn't a global system.

MoChara

Just when he thought he got away with everythign he kicked one into his own net on the way home on the plane. He doesn't sound like a man that wants "firm and decisive" action to secure "truth and justice"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/vatican-ex-ambassador-pens-jaccuse-in-mccarrick-affair/2018/08/26/c33a48ec-a8f3-11e8-ad6f-080770dcddc2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.80599dd02c2c

Wildweasel74

Some amount of hypocrites in on here! Saying you have so many misgivings for the Catholic church I hope you don't bother to waste time looking for burials in church graveyards or final blessing in when you time comes!!

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on August 26, 2018, 11:46:00 PM

But would be a start.
I wonder does Leo Varadkar feel any guilt for the abuse of 3,500 children sleeping in emergency hotel rooms tonight?

He has a point though.
And Zappone the Minister for Children getting in on the "Kick the Pope" bandwagon today while 3,500 children slept in hotel rooms lady night.

The Pope/Church well deserved a good kick but none of our Government Ministers or their apologists are in any fit place to be doing the kicking.
In fact the State had plenty to answer for too.
While neither Church or State can undo the past the Government can certainly do plenty more to stop the abuse of the present if they had a will to do so.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2018, 11:29:11 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 26, 2018, 11:46:00 PM

But would be a start.

He has a point though.
And Zappone the Minister for Children getting in on the "Kick the Pope" bandwagon today while 3,500 children slept in hotel rooms lady night.

The Pope/Church well deserved a good kick but none of our Government Ministers or their apologists are in any fit place to be doing the kicking.
In fact the State had plenty to answer for too.
While neither Church or State can undo the past the Government can certainly do plenty more to stop the abuse of the present if they had a will to do so.
And given that story about Tusla a few weeks back it'd be much more in Zappone's line to be getting to the bottom of that rather than playing to her fans in the media.

Sportacus

We spent over 100 euro in Drumcondra on Saturday afternoon and all the cafes were bunged so it wasn't all bad.  The concert in Croke Park was a great experience for our family.     

sid waddell

Quotehttps://twitter.com/vincentbrowne/status/1033783910419836935

RTE's reverential coverage of the Pope's visit was not journalism. It was propaganda for an institution that has been criminally complicit in the rape and buggery of children around the world and is the prime institutional carrier of mysogyny and homophobia.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Sportacus on August 27, 2018, 11:54:31 AM
We spent over 100 euro in Drumcondra on Saturday afternoon and all the cafes were bunged so it wasn't all bad.  The concert in Croke Park was a great experience for our family.     
But that happens at matches and gigs anyway. The taxpayer never covers those tickets.

Sportacus

Fair enough, my point simply is that we wouldn't have been in Drumcondra otherwise so there was plenty of extra business being done on Saturday it seemed to me. 

The Iceman

It's no surprise that the Pope's visit was underwhelming (at least in media coverage).  I would imagine for those who attended and who wanted to attend for all the right reasons, that it was a great occasion.
Lot's of leaders visit other countries. And those countries foot the bill. The media also cover things with the right amount of respect and reverance based on the occasion. Windsor weddings.....?

I didn't expect any more than the comments on here.  The purification of the Church is well underway.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

smelmoth

Quote from: MoChara on August 27, 2018, 08:06:16 AM
Just when he thought he got away with everythign he kicked one into his own net on the way home on the plane. He doesn't sound like a man that wants "firm and decisive" action to secure "truth and justice"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/vatican-ex-ambassador-pens-jaccuse-in-mccarrick-affair/2018/08/26/c33a48ec-a8f3-11e8-ad6f-080770dcddc2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.80599dd02c2c

Too early to call that one yet. That story has a bit to run