The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Compared Teeling Small Batch $10, Teeling Single Malt $10, Tullamore 12 $9 and Tullamore Phoenix $9.50 tonight.

I'm a smooth whiskey, smooth nose, mellow flavour preference drinker.

Tullamore Phoenix limited edition by a length.

Pick up a bottle if you can

screenexile

Quote from: tyroneman on September 28, 2016, 07:16:53 PM
Monkey Shoulder is pretty tasty alright. Talisker a nice Scottish range also

Received a 10 glass of Monkey Shouder as a present from a client . . .  having hated scotch any time I've tried it is it worth sticking with or should I palm it off to somebody?

I'm a big Jameson fan but hate the smokey after taste/gag reflex of a scotch but maybe I should persist and it gets easier??

All comments welcome!

Puckoon

Monkey Shoulder is absolutely palatable. In fact, its pretty good.

Its an Irish Facing Scotch - in my opinion

tyroneman

Teeling single grain is a phenomenal drink.

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on December 16, 2017, 03:04:23 AM

Received a 10 glass of Monkey Shouder as a present from a client . . .  having hated scotch any time I've tried it is it worth sticking with or should I palm it off to somebody?

I'm a big Jameson fan but hate the smokey after taste/gag reflex of a scotch but maybe I should persist and it gets easier??

All comments welcome!

Monkey Shoulder is absolutely fine, very smooth blend.

Saying you don't like all Scotch is daft. They're not all smokey/peated.

stiffler

What's the best whiskey around the £30-£40 mark ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

gallsman

Quote from: stiffler on February 07, 2018, 09:31:25 PM

Irish/Scotch/American/Asian?

Malt? Blend?

Peated?

Not being a p***k but there are umpteen answers to that question.

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on December 16, 2017, 03:04:23 AM

All comments welcome!

I was the same, thought of scotch as cutting piss as you do when reared on the softness of Irish whiskey. Got a bottle of 12yr glenfiddich a few years ago, only a 50cl. It was beautiful, having being getting into scotch more and more since. Id advise you to get a soft sotch 70cl and persevere till you finished it over a few months. Start with that glenfiddich 12 yr old and then ramp up the flavours from there if you want.

I actually find green spot very underwhelming. There's a host of scotch and irish whiskey id have ahead of it. Would like to try yellow spot to see if it's much better.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: stiffler on February 07, 2018, 09:31:25 PM

There's 20 answers to this. Glenfiddich 12yr old probably falls into this price range but you'll probably find it disappointing enough since it's been recommended to you. I found whiskeys that are recommended tend to disappoint, it's the ones you find by accident that you tend to treasure.

What's the board view of laphrioag? Peaty as f**k but fun all the same.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

stiffler

Been asked by a European colleague what whiskey should he buy when here. I don't drink the stuff so wouldn't be the best to advise.

I have heard teelings is good ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

gallsman

Presumably he's looking for an Irish whiskey then. Can't go wrong with a bottle of Green Spot towards the top end of your price range.

macdanger2

Quote from: stiffler on February 07, 2018, 10:16:08 PM
Been asked by a European colleague what whiskey should he buy when here. I don't drink the stuff so wouldn't be the best to advise.

I have heard teelings is good ?

Wouldn't be gone on Teelings tbh, prefer Connemara for a similar price (although being peated is not typically Irish) . Kilbeggan is decent for bog standard price

Harold Disgracey

A bottle of Redbreast would do the job.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: gallsman on February 07, 2018, 11:07:04 PM
Presumably he's looking for an Irish whiskey then. Can't go wrong with a bottle of Green Spot towards the top end of your price range.
Yeah, green spot is hard to beat for me
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me