An Charraig Mhór GFC. The facts always kill the ‘myth’

Started by falay, October 01, 2014, 01:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falay

A reply to the question posed by Francis Mooney in The Irish News on September 30th when he asked 'Is the Carrickmore legend fading to myth? '.

Someone once said "Don't judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes."  I would urge Francis to bear that in mind when he is interviewing someone who has just managed a team to two consecutive finals only to lose both. I would doubt that Barney Gormley  Carrickmore manager, past winning captain, the holder of six senior championship medals and a player regarded by many as one of the best club players ever to play in this county knew the context in which his answers would appear when he had the decency to speak to Francis Mooney minutes after his team were denied victory. I would also doubt that he would want his responses to appear in a way which seems to lend weight to the assertions of the author.
Francis is a journalist of some note and in fairness to him he has played a significant role in raising the profile of Tyrone club football since the late 1980's. His work is a vital record of club history in the county and he must be applauded for that.  However, it is disappointing that he sees value in posing the key question in his article a day after a club has suffered the heartache of championship defeat in what most of those who played the game would recognise as cruel circumstances. I would imagine some degree of empathy would be a useful quality for a sports writer. Many like Brolly and Spillane can be quite scathing at times but the reader is always forced to remember that they walked the walk.  There is some suggestion by Francis that loosing County Finals is a new phenomenon to our club given that he was kind enough to remind us that we have lost four of them (2006,2010,2013 and 2014) since our last victory in 2005. He states that 'an almost mystical reputation is wearing thin'. Francis's interpretation of the game must exist on some higher astrological level where mystery supersedes real life but I can tell him that winning and losing championship's is far from 'mystical' and exists in a world of sacrifice, hard work and discipline which are all very earthly qualities.
His continuing reference to our series of defeats and his theory that this has in some way eroded our traditional qualities holds little water.  Historically our senior teams have been no strangers to defeat and in fact we have lost more senior finals than any other club in the county. Our first defeat in a final was in 1936 and we have had 11 since ('58,'67,'71,'74,'81,'94,'00,'06,'10,'13,'14). What most involved in either playing for or managing teams realise is that a team who consistently reach finals will inevitable loose some. Our senior team has contested 27 finals since our formation in 1932. Everyone in the county will be aware that we have won 15 of those('40,'43,'49,'61,'66,'69,'77,'78,'79,'95,'96,'99,'01,'04,'05) and yes that is a record in the County. Probably more relevant though is the fact, yes fact not myth, that we are the only club in Tyrone to have maintained senior status.
Furthermore, a 'myth' is a widely held but false belief or idea. Francis Mooney's news item is suggesting that a particular view of our club that was once widely held is now untrue. Are the facts, some of which are acknowledged by Francis, that we still lead the Senior Championship Roll of Honour, still top the Tyrone ACL Division 1 winners table and that we are the only club to have remained in senior football now untrue? Do clubs such as Ardboe, Clonoe, Trillick and Errigal Ciaran who also boast a rich history of championship success now regard us something less than they used to. Is the deep seated mutual respect that exists between us and our historic rivals throughout the county no longer there? Do worthy county champions Omagh now have a diluted view of what our club has stood for down through the years. Will they forget the way that our players and supporters shook their hands and congratulated them despite the devastation of defeat or that we did not begrudge them their celebrations after a 26 year wait. I would think not.
I would ask Francis to delve a bit deeper into what makes football clubs tick. It is not catchy sound bites, sensationalism or cheap shots.  The building blocks of a club like our own are hard work, community spirit and natural talent none of which exist in the realms of 'myths' or 'legends'. Every club in Tyrone has these qualities and are driven on by the tireless dedication of ordinary club men and women. Sometimes it delivers success but more often defeat. The history of a football club cannot be studied through a narrow lens focusing on the course of a few years but is a broad canvass of heartache and defeat interspersed with moments of elation that mark championship success. Omagh, Derrylaughlin, Clonoe, Coalisland, Moortown and Dromore have all lost successive finals but far from fading away they all returned to win championships. Art Mc Crory once told me that there were only two certainties in football - disappointment and injury. Everything else, he said, is a bonus. Players in our club have been very fortunate in that the bonuses have been quite considerable over the years. One thing remains certain as history dictates it. Carrickmore will lose more senior finals in the near and distant future but we will also win many and it is then that the real   quality that is the 'Spirit of Carmen' not the 'myth'  will once again be to the fore.

Gavan Mc Elroy, Carrickmore.

In hiding

Was involved in the periphery for omagh last Sunday. Have to say that the carrickmore people and players I met on the pitch were a credit to themselves and to their club. I'm sure it's of no consolation to them but I was extremely impressed with how they handled themselves in the aftermath of a cruel defeat

Up The Middle

Very well written and very true. Anyone who thinks any less of Carmen after Sunday or their recent final defeats knows very little about club football in Tyrone. Great club with a great tradition.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Man Marker

Gavan, I am really surprised that you took the time to do this, Mooney's piece clearly hit a sore point with you. Like seriously, why would you think Gaels in Tyrone wouldn't have the utmost respect for Carmen of all clubs? Have you replied to the Irish news 'of the fence' section?

Mikhailov

I have to agree with man Marker on this one - I don't think it is required from Carmen to make a public notification as to how great a club they are.... they are highly and well respected with Tyrone and Ulster and further afield. I feel Mooney is a loose cannon when  it comes to journalism and some of his previews this year for our club championship in the Irish News left a lot to be desired - no research done at all regarding players etc - just name the county players and that will do.... Yes, he has dramatically improved the public image and profile of Tyrone Club football but he appears to have the 'exclusivity' on it for the Irish News and no one else gets a look in. He however always played the card and image that Carmen were almost mythical and had enduring powers of recovery and endurance and were never beaten so I was slightly surprised that he done this on the club and indeed interviewing wee Barney so soon after a 2nd county final loss was too far in my opinion. Emotions are running high and the thought process would be all over the shop and I felt that was unfair on both wee Barney and the Carmen club.

It obviously has hurt Gavan a lot and I would be surprised if we was on a lone chase here and surely this would have to have been sanctioned by the club but maybe not. He was a great player himself and a super stalwart of many great Carmen teams so he obviously feels the players hurt and indeed the hurt in wee Barney and felt in necessary to reply to Mooney.

Carmen are very highly thought of in Tyrone as I said and indeed have been against them many times as a club and it is always hard but fair and nothing asked for or given - a truly great club.

Boghopper

Carmen were very unlucky on Sunday, I would pay little heed to what some local hack has written after all they have to find something to fill the column inches. I think to be honest they have a lot of positives to take from Sundays defeat and that will hopefully drive their young players to want to go one step further next year. I was particularly impressed with McLaughlin and Loughran in the half back line, couldn't understand why McAleer was withdrawn I thought he was playing well.

falay

Thanks to all who have taken time to reply and the thoughts are both balanced and well thought out.
In answer to a few of the comments.
I am not in the habit of replying to news articles and understand the surprise of some of you who are wondering why I took the time and effort to do so given that what I had to say is common knowledge amongst most genuine club members on the county. It was just that in this case I felt that a stand on behalf of the club had to be taken. Without being arrogant I know that we are respected in the same way as we respect many other clubs in the county regardless of the bitter rivalries that we have built up over the years. The timing and context of the article was poor and badly researched.
I have sent a reply to the Irish News, all local papers, hogan stand, teamtalk. Although I don't do facebook I would not mind if someone else wants to put the link on it.
The other key point is that the reply is totally my own opinion and although I am defending the club I am not speaking on its behalf in any official capacity.
Thanks
Gavan

Carmenalways

Absolutely superb gav. I found the piece repugnant. As our club and community pick up the pieces from a devastating defeat,Francis wants to stick the boot in. Perfect.

Carmen Stateside

Brilliant Gavin.  That was a superb read and filled me with pride!

rrhf

A super bit of writing. I can't comment on francies piece as I haven't read it but that makes brilliant reading. Carmen were superb on Sunday and certainly are respected for their achievements and competitively.

Club Rossa

Good reply Gavan.I read Mooney's piece the other day and thought it to be a very poor bit of writing from him.I would say every true gael in Tyrone would have the utmost respect for Carrickmore GFC and their achievements over the years.

LeoMc

Well written Gavin.
I dont think any team would relish drawing Carmen in the first rou d next year, despite what Francy thinks.

omaghjoe

I agree Gavan, this legend/myth stuff is total rubbish. The facts are Carrickmore's victories have always been based on a mixture of brute force and intimidation and when they have both done their work a little football.

God14

Quote from: omaghjoe on October 03, 2014, 03:14:11 AM

I agree Gavan, this legend/myth stuff is total rubbish. The facts are Carrickmore's victories have always been based on a mixture of brute force and intimidation and when they have both done their work a little football.

That made me LOL, even though it is true to a certain extent