Laois U20 Championship

Started by The Monument Road, October 06, 2019, 11:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA-SMART

I met the guy after the 15s beat Cork and he was very articulate and he has the best interests of the players in his mindset, clearly has a big passion for Laois GAA driven through family, and that was from a 2/3 minute chat. ive gone to a good few games as we have a few lads in the club on the 15s county panel. From talking to parents they all seemed of been very impressed by his workrate and getting the best from the players. Regardless i think its a positive that the development squad coaches are moving up to Minor. Its a model held in alot of counties, why do we need some "experienced" county journeyman taking these teams when we have guys who know and coached the players at our disposal. Seems like no matter who gets these jobs, you have someone ready to give out at the start.

BallyroanAbu

Two Laois based applicants did not get the job over some chap from Dublin safe to say I am not surprised. 

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: GAA-SMART on October 12, 2019, 11:29:51 PM
I met the guy after the 15s beat Cork and he was very articulate and he has the best interests of the players in his mindset, clearly has a big passion for Laois GAA driven through family, and that was from a 2/3 minute chat. ive gone to a good few games as we have a few lads in the club on the 15s county panel. From talking to parents they all seemed of been very impressed by his workrate and getting the best from the players. Regardless i think its a positive that the development squad coaches are moving up to Minor. Its a model held in alot of counties, why do we need some "experienced" county journeyman taking these teams when we have guys who know and coached the players at our disposal. Seems like no matter who gets these jobs, you have someone ready to give out at the start.

Sounds like your talking to yourself Mark  ;D ;D

Place gets Stranger and Stranger

GAA-SMART

Sounds like your talking to yourself Mark  ;D ;D

Place gets Stranger and Stranger
[/quote]

Its just an opinion. Thats all. No need for smart replies. He might be useless he might not be. I think the model going forward should be that development squad coaches take the minors if the are deemed to be ok. Benefit of the doubt is all.

Blow-in

He was told he had the job before the interview process even began. Also told the dual players not to play hurling on a number of occasions.

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Batman!!! on October 13, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
He was told he had the job before the interview process even began. Also told the dual players not to play hurling on a number of occasions.

If he did then he shouldnt be near the job to be fair.. surprised he wasnt pulled on that or was he

Zooming around

Both of those things come as no surprise to me.

Target Man

Hearing there's a heavy Thomas Davis involvement in backroom team.......surely we would be better giving Laois coaches these roles or have we no trust in our own people

les Antiques

In fairness you talk a lot of rubbish.
Back that statement up Batman. 

GoZonal66

Lads this appointment is a farce. As a parent of a u16 Dev panel member, I am outraged that Noel Coss did not get this job.
This U15 team has some v good players but lets be realistic here- they scrapped over a Cork divisional team and were beaten by 10 points by a Kerry Divisional team.
From what i gather training sessions were made up of a game of tag followed by a 15 aside match. Mark Bates is far from Jim Gavin.

The CB are well aware that Mark Bates can not coach and have approached a number of people to join the minor set up as they knew Bates isnt up to it. This is a fact.

I can not reason as to why we are giving such an important role to someone who we know nothing about....
He is involved with Thomas Davis alright- the pro. Think he fills water bottles for the senior team. This man is not County Minor management material.

Well done Laois CB on this complete joke. Two semi finals in the last two years under Donnacha Phelan and now we are preparing to take 10 steps backwards.

I can confirm there will be atlesst 3 Thomas Davis lads involved. No faith in the coaches in Laois.

My son was looking forward to going in with Donnacha or atlesst a decent coach- his friends are telling him that the u15 lads laugh at Bates. They actually listen to the Laois lads involved.

Blow-in

Les Antiques, a member of his own management team was heard saying it to numerous people he had it before the process even began. Wasnt pulled up on the hurling issue as the person who deals with those things doesn't care about hurling.

Shambles the whole set up and the appointment of both minor management teams.

GoZonal66

Strangest interview process I have ever heard of.... someone knowing he has the job well in advance of doing an interview.
Then the boys that interviewed him looking for coaches for him!l?!

I have it on relatively good authority that complaints were made to both Peter Hally and Donie Brennan about how clueless Bates is..... and these complaints were apparently made by the lads that were in with him!!

Newbie 04

R.e Minor Managment

I'm a bit baffled by your post and comments made by others to be honest .

We in Laois seem to have an awful habit of being negative and basing our opinions on here say .

Who knows how this year's minor management will do but jeez give them a chance will you !
The man has just been ratified and some have him written off .

Just a few points of  interest

1. Complaints made by his own coaches..
As far as I am aware his coaches from the 15s have followed through with him to minors . Would they really back sombody they didn't believe in ???
I know I wouldn't would you ??

2. Telling lads not to hurl .
Within the team there is hurlers ,rugby players and Soccer  players and  were all accomadated throughout the year . Same can't be said about other years

3. The u15 team were very successful under him and played some very tough competition along the way so aside from coach it's unfair to make little of what the u15 team achieved last year .

It was also noted the panel was  never closed management attended a lot of club games in both A and B competitions and added to the panel throughout the season based on performance at club games  instead of the usual  have trials and close shop .

Whilst I understand everyone  will have a difference of opinion .  It's unfair to write the management off before a ball is kicked an base it on false information .

GoZonal66

No false statements made there I am afraid Newbie04.

Facts.

1. Bates was told he had the job before interview
2. Laurence Phelan and Mike Hency were asking every coach in the county to join Bates Minor set up before it was ratified. One of the many coaches asked was in for the job in the first place.
3. Complaints were made about Bates.
4. Successful u15 team- big wins included wins over Galway and Cork divisional teams and then went on to lose to a Kerry divisional team!!
5. Noel Coss - won Minor and 21 with Port and trained their senior team. LaoisToday were struggling with what to write about Bates in the article about minor appointment.
6.Outgoing minor management team included Sean O Shea, Donie Brennan and Doonacha Phelan all brilliant coaches. What is coming in in place it that?? Pj Dempsey the only one with any notable coaching experience from what I can gather.

I feel sorry for the young lads in this. This farcical appointment is the talk of the county.

Tintin84

Quote from: Newbie 04 on October 15, 2019, 08:53:13 PM
R.e Minor Managment

I'm a bit baffled by your post and comments made by others to be honest .

We in Laois seem to have an awful habit of being negative and basing our opinions on here say .

Who knows how this year's minor management will do but jeez give them a chance will you !
The man has just been ratified and some have him written off .

Just a few points of  interest

1. Complaints made by his own coaches..
As far as I am aware his coaches from the 15s have followed through with him to minors . Would they really back sombody they didn't believe in ???
I know I wouldn't would you ??

2. Telling lads not to hurl .
Within the team there is hurlers ,rugby players and Soccer  players and  were all accomadated throughout the year . Same can't be said about other years

3. The u15 team were very successful under him and played some very tough competition along the way so aside from coach it's unfair to make little of what the u15 team achieved last year .

It was also noted the panel was  never closed management attended a lot of club games in both A and B competitions and added to the panel throughout the season based on performance at club games  instead of the usual  have trials and close shop .

Whilst I understand everyone  will have a difference of opinion .  It's unfair to write the management off before a ball is kicked an base it on false information .

Looks like Newbie04 is the new account of Mark, Now that he was identified as GAA-Smart...