Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2018, 05:27:24 PM
High octane stuff, if only all games were played in that spirit.

Enda Smith was unbelievable. Such a classy footballer. The Super 8s are the perfect stage for this team to develop on.

That cheer after the final goal, though. Something else.

Which number was smith?

Great game and although we lost I cane out of the game feeling positive. We are building. A lot to work on still but I am positive overall. Good luck to Roscommon good forward

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 07, 2018, 08:41:39 PM

Enda Smith was unbelievable. Such a classy footballer. The Super 8s are the perfect stage for this team to develop on.

Which number was smith?

Great game and although we lost I cane out of the game feeling positive. We are building. A lot to work on still but I am positive overall. Good luck to Roscommon good forward

illdecide

Armagh had nothing left at 70 mins, the successive games took their toll on the players who gave their all. Was a decent performance where that extra bit of quality was missing. Roscommon deserved their win and the very best of luck in S8's. That was some roar all right when last goal went in, good game

Someone mentioned Charlie Vernon played well whereas I thought he was poor, just shows you how different people see and read games... Smith (12) was lethal and we couldn't handle him at all... Serious player with great pace.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

keeperlit

Quote from: illdecide on July 07, 2018, 09:23:57 PM
Armagh had nothing left at 70 mins, the successive games took their toll on the players who gave their all. Was a decent performance where that extra bit of quality was missing. Roscommon deserved their win and the very best of luck in S8's. That was some roar all right when last goal went in, good game

Someone mentioned Charlie Vernon played well whereas I thought he was poor, just shows you how different people see and read games... Smith (12) was lethal and we couldn't handle him at all... Serious player with great pace.

Would agree about Charlie. Real trier but thought he was burned for pace a few times and also the pass he giveaway for Roscommon first goal was criminal. Thought Enda smith was very quiet in first half but definitely seemed to step it up in second half and was immense.

Did Armagh tire or did Roscommon move up a gear?

Would usually be a critic of joe mcqullian but I thought he was quite good today (can't comment on penalty incident until I see it again) with a few marginal calls going Armagh's way and a few going Roscommon's way with Armagh maybe coming out slightly better off. Definitely was as bad as the Roscommon people around me at the match were saying!

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2018, 09:03:43 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 07, 2018, 08:41:39 PM

Which number was smith?

Aye. He had a very good game.

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2018, 06:53:57 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on July 07, 2018, 06:43:40 PM
Roscommon forwards were lethal. We could have conceded 5 goals today. Rossies were worthy winners, but couldn't help thinking that Jamie Clarke would have torn up that defense as opposed to the typical blanket formation he has faced in the past.

Jamie had bother dealing with Leitrim backs in the New York game, in fairness. We showed in the last two CFs we can play more defensively but we always fancy ourselves to win a free-flowing open game of football like that.

Armagh play a lovely style of football too, I hope they don't see this as a failure of their style because if football has a future it's this type of football and not the dull, dour stuff than the likes of Tyrone and Fermanagh typify. People just don't care to watch or support that.

To be fair there would be a hell of a difference between Clarke in that game and Clarke had he been with us all year. He wasn't tho and more than likely won't be again. Regardless we can go into division 2 confident

Rossfan

I'm still not the better of the game especially those closing minutes when we pulled away to win.
We're in the big League now so hopefully we put up a credible shoeing.
I'm told it was an excellent game on TV .
When you're in the middle of it and it's nip and tuck it's hard to be sure what it's like.
Big performances by so many players at vital times but I think Cathal Cregg and Enda when he woke up (about 20 minutes in) were our top men.
Mind you Cathal better leave the goal scoring attempts to Enda in future.
Big shout to John McManus too who was to the fore when we weren't going so well in the 1st half.
If I was neutral I'm sure I'd have admired the Armagh kicking game -lovely to watch but couldn't appreciate it today.
Our defence loose and shaky as usual.
On to the Quarter Final series now and 2 visits at least to Croker.
Be great if we caneed make it 3 OR EVEN FOUR :o.
Let's enjoy becoming part of the elite and get ready for Saturday.
I suppose we'll  hardly score 2-22 against the mean Tyrones.

One last thing - some grand people from Armagh beside us. Pity they didn't get Cork or Laois.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Throw ball

A great game of football today. For the most part both teams tried to play football and it was worth watching. McQuillan gave a lot of soft frees I thought which made defending difficult. Towards the end i thought that bit if luck Armagh needed - and probably got last week - deserted them. The legs seemed to go and Roscommon deserved to win. Hopefully the lack of depth in the Armagh panel can be sorted next year with a few returnees , newbees and development of the younger players.

Best of luck to Roscommon in the super 8s. Maybe if they can beat Tyrone teams will move away from the defensive counter attacking crap.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2018, 09:59:20 PM
I'm still not the better of the game especially those closing minutes when we pulled away to win.
We're in the big League now so hopefully we put up a credible shoeing.
I'm told it was an excellent game on TV .
When you're in the middle of it and it's nip and tuck it's hard to be sure what it's like.
Big performances by so many players at vital times but I think Cathal Cregg and Enda when he woke up (about 20 minutes in) were our top men.
Mind you Cathal better leave the goal scoring attempts to Enda in future.
Big shout to John McManus too who was to the fore when we weren't going so well in the 1st half.
If I was neutral I'm sure I'd have admired the Armagh kicking game -lovely to watch but couldn't appreciate it today.
Our defence loose and shaky as usual.
On to the Quarter Final series now and 2 visits at least to Croker.
Be great if we caneed make it 3 OR EVEN FOUR :o.
Let's enjoy becoming part of the elite and get ready for Saturday.
I suppose we'll  hardly score 2-22 against the mean Tyrones.

One last thing - some grand people from Armagh beside us. Pity they didn't get Cork or Laois.

Excellent post agree with everything you said. Delighted with the win. Armagh should be proud came to play football like it should be played

weareros

Wonderful day in O'Moore Park today that will live long in the memory. Hard luck to Armagh who contributed to this great game and the supporters who sat beside me were so gracious in defeat and even stayed for the next game despite a long, hard auld journey back when you lose a thriller. Have to say I found it uncomfortable for long spells in particular midway through first half when Armagh looked the likely winner playing lovely direct football and it seemed every thing they kicked was destined to sail over the bar. Fortunately McStay started Cathal who greatly troubled a number of markers and really kept us in it during that dodgy period, while Enda was a colossus in second half with spectacular catches and his runs through the Armagh defense. I thought  all our forwards had great games and ran themselves into the  ground, did a lot of tracking back in tough conditions. Hopefully we are not a spent force for next weekend ala Mayo replay  as it is becoming increasingly obvious this will be the only competitive R4 game, perhaps another nail in the coffin for the provincials.

mackers

Quote from: Throw ball on July 07, 2018, 10:17:41 PM
A great game of football today. For the most part both teams tried to play football and it was worth watching. McQuillan gave a lot of soft frees I thought which made defending difficult. Towards the end i thought that bit if luck Armagh needed - and probably got last week - deserted them. The legs seemed to go and Roscommon deserved to win. Hopefully the lack of depth in the Armagh panel can be sorted next year with a few returnees , newbees and development of the younger players.

Best of luck to Roscommon in the super 8s. Maybe if they can beat Tyrone teams will move away from the defensive counter attacking crap.
I'd agree with all that Throw Ball. Roscommon played some great football and I'll be very interested to see how they get on against Tyrone next week. They've no need to fear them and hope they get rewarded for their adventurous play.
We died with our boots on. We played some really good football but run out of steam and were beaten by a better team. Roscommmons fans brought great passion and atmosphere. Could give dialled down on the booing of the ref at times though.
Fair play to Geezer for letting the younger lads at it again. We have something to build on but we have to get everyone back on board to compete with Donegal and Kildare etc next year. We need to learn how to cope with blanket defences to progress in Ulster otherwise we'll be in the qualifiers early doors again.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Solo_run

The Roscommon ones are quite likeable chaps in winning. I was dreading the ribbing on here after the loss on my 30th birthday but I think you have found yourselves a new fan.

Good luck to Ross in the super 8s

Syferus

Quote from: Solo_run on July 08, 2018, 12:25:43 AM
The Roscommon ones are quite likeable chaps in winning. I was dreading the ribbing on here after the loss on my 30th birthday but I think you have found yourselves a new fan.

Good luck to Ross in the super 8s

Armagh and Fermanagh people are the only Ulster lads we can stand.

Rossfan

We like the Cyavans too seeing we always bate them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2018, 12:40:40 AM
We like the Cyavans too seeing we always bate them.

Itchy doesn't seem to like us, though.