Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 04, 2018, 01:06:59 PM
Sorry I didn't realise this discussion forum was not open to new members with thoughts that span beyond the next or previous game .

That's rather silly. It is open to new members, who can discuss what they want. However those new members can expect to be challenged on their contribution if some deem it worthy of challenge.

If you can tell me Armagh have progressed in any shape or form since McGeeney came on board with his 5 year plan you are deluded, to use the example of a 69 minute non performance followed by Complete Clare collapse is more evidence of delusion.

I really really hope that your contributions going forward will be better than that above. To imply that I used the Clare game as an example of progress under McGeeney's "5 year plan" is at best mistaken and at worst disingenuous.

I have no agenda or axe to grind with anyone

Interesting, and yet you prefer to explain our victory on Saturday by highlighting a "Complete Clare collapse" and imply that the current management of the team is responsible for the absence of 20 - 24 players!?!?

I don't think you'll find any apologists for mediocrity, despite what you and many others like you, would wish to believe. What you perceive to be apologists are actually loyal Armagh supporters, who want the best for our County and who maybe have a different perception as to the true potential of our playing resources, and who try and be a wee bit more objective in their critical analysis than the 'Geezer Out Brigade'. 

Tim’s Hero

Would agree on the O'Neill's , but lot of talent in the county that is being wasted , no point waking up in another 5 years and thinking where to now !

APM

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 04, 2018, 01:55:23 PM
Would agree on the O'Neill's , but lot of talent in the county that is being wasted , no point waking up in another 5 years and thinking where to now !

I'd say there's a lot of talent being wasted in a lot of mid-ranking counties - some players waste their own talent, some are victims of circumstance.  Success breeds success and without it, lads will struggle to commit to the demands of county football.

Also remember during the noughties Joe Kernan was castigated for not giving gametime to men like Paedar Toal and several opted off the panel.  Great player, but the reality is that will be players that don't pull with the management and there will some that understandably can't justify the intense effort for a place on the bench.  There will be others that don't want to give the commitment under any circumstances because they don't want it enough due to other interests like drinking, soccer, bullets or coffee. Others, rightly in my opinion, pursue their careers.  Some are happy being the big fish in club football.

I have to say that there is something odd when so many players are opting out.  The squad would have benefited from continuity from last year, you cannot place all of the blame at McGeeney's door.  As a Division 3 outfit that took a pasting in Croke Park from our nearest and bitterest rivals, it is little wonder that some have opted out.  It also doesn't help that every time a county footballer puts on a jersey, he puts himself forward for abuse from anonymous trolls on the internet. 

seafoid

Quote from: laoislad on July 04, 2018, 12:44:35 PM
Probably the only time I've ever wanted Armagh to win a game...
Syferus is a national treasure
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tim’s Hero

Rufus your love affair with your own opinion is unrivalled , add in your intolerance of others opinions and your ability to squirm out of facing facts makes you an ideal candidate to lead UK brexit campaign !!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 04, 2018, 02:44:06 PM
Rufus your love affair with your own opinion is unrivalled , add in your intolerance of others opinions and your ability to squirm out of facing facts makes you an ideal candidate to lead UK brexit campaign !!

My hope that your contributions might improve going forward is now looking distinctly optimistic.

illdecide

O'Moore Park apparently holds 27,000 not sure if that's accurate as these figures tend to fluctuate depending on Safety measures etc. What is anticipated crowd for Saturday? Can't see Cork bringing too many(1k), Armagh could bring 3-4k and Tyrone probably 5k and i'm sure Roscommon would bring a big crowd if Syferus wasn't going (only messing) say 2-3k. Throw in a few neutrals and is this game heading for about 15k?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JP

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 04, 2018, 02:50:36 PM

My hope that your contributions might improve going forward is now looking distinctly optimistic.

Some supporters have wildly unrealistic expectations. Its an ameteur sport, there will always be players who don't commit for personal reasons and there will always be players that don't fit in with the management's regime. Asking qhether we are living up to our maximum potential is a rhertorical question as nobody can define what our potential is. However what we do have is a bunch of lads who are giving it their all and don't give up, I would rather have lads on the team giving 110% then a player who is half arsed regardless of how talented they are. We are on a good run in the qualifers and I hope to see it continue on Saturday. The Super 8's will be incredibly tough and likely we will get a few tankings should be beat Roscommon but in my book two quarter final apperances in a row is great achivements for us.

smelmoth

Quote from: JP on July 04, 2018, 05:05:05 PM

Some supporters have wildly unrealistic expectations. Its an ameteur sport, there will always be players who don't commit for personal reasons and there will always be players that don't fit in with the management's regime. Asking qhether we are living up to our maximum potential is a rhertorical question as nobody can define what our potential is. However what we do have is a bunch of lads who are giving it their all and don't give up, I would rather have lads on the team giving 110% then a player who is half arsed regardless of how talented they are. We are on a good run in the qualifers and I hope to see it continue on Saturday. The Super 8's will be incredibly tough and likely we will get a few tankings should be beat Roscommon but in my book two quarter final apperances in a row is great achivements for us.

Tim is here to antagonise.

But we move away from that and from Armagh and from McGeeney there is a real issue re players dropping out. There will not be a single reason that covers all but one issue I do have is the number of skilful forwards dropping out. So I would be a little concerned about the ultimate conclusion if we stick to the lads giving 110% line of thinking. Especially when it's 110% on the training pitch or in the gym that might influence selection.

If we stick to that, and in some quarters we already have, there is no room for a Maurice Fitz in our game. I don't think we are the richer for that

JP

Quote from: smelmoth on July 04, 2018, 05:57:07 PM

But we move away from that and from Armagh and from McGeeney there is a real issue re players dropping out. There will not be a single reason that covers all but one issue I do have is the number of skilful forwards dropping out. So I would be a little concerned about the ultimate conclusion if we stick to the lads giving 110% line of thinking. Especially when it's 110% on the training pitch or in the gym that might influence selection.

If we stick to that, and in some quarters we already have, there is no room for a Maurice Fitz in our game. I don't think we are the richer for that

I agree, nobody wants a team full of gym monkeys and robots that just go through the motions. But you can't say the likes of Grugan or Murnin full into this category and they certainly give it everything they have. If someone has the talent but doesn't really want to be there or can't commit, then they shouldn't be there. You can't build a team and rely on fellas who heads aren't in it IMO.

twohands!!!

Quote from: illdecide on July 04, 2018, 02:58:01 PM
O'Moore Park apparently holds 27,000 not sure if that's accurate as these figures tend to fluctuate depending on Safety measures etc. What is anticipated crowd for Saturday? Can't see Cork bringing too many(1k), Armagh could bring 3-4k and Tyrone probably 5k and i'm sure Roscommon would bring a big crowd if Syferus wasn't going (only messing) say 2-3k. Throw in a few neutrals and is this game heading for about 15k?

I'd say Cork will be doing very well if they break the 1k barrier after the Kerry destruction.

I think 15k might be a bit optimistic - I'd guess around the 12k mark.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 04, 2018, 06:26:41 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 04, 2018, 02:58:01 PM

I'd say Cork will be doing very well if they break the 1k barrier after the Kerry destruction.

I think 15k might be a bit optimistic - I'd guess around the 12k mark.

12k of the 19k Connacht final attendance was probably from Roscommon you would imagine about half of that support will now travel to O'Moore park. Armagh and Tyrone have good support also. Less said about Cork the better.

smelmoth

Quote from: JP on July 04, 2018, 06:11:51 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 04, 2018, 05:57:07 PM

I agree, nobody wants a team full of gym monkeys and robots that just go through the motions. But you can't say the likes of Grugan or Murnin full into this category and they certainly give it everything they have. If someone has the talent but doesn't really want to be there or can't commit, then they shouldn't be there. You can't build a team and rely on fellas who heads aren't in it IMO.

The nature of the game today drives the commitment levels required, which appeals to a mindset and deters another which further influences the nature of the game. The point is - is this a virtuous circle or a downward spiral?

My concern is that anyone who is bold enough to do anything about it or suggest doing about it is shouted down as negative or a died in the wool traditionalist

Tim’s Hero

Apologies again ,I must be in the wrong thread this is obviously the Armagh cheerleaders association and any debate about and analysis of Armagh's performances under the current regime are not welcome, we all agree to let Rufus spoof on like a poor mans Joe Brolly and not challenge any of his assertions .

tonto1888

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 04, 2018, 08:44:10 PM
Apologies again ,I must be in the wrong thread this is obviously the Armagh cheerleaders association and any debate about and analysis of Armagh's performances under the current regime are not welcome, we all agree to let Rufus spoof on like a poor mans Joe Brolly and not challenge any of his assertions .

So analyse Armagh's performances then