Mickey Harte new Louth manager?

Started by Gael85, November 23, 2020, 08:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2020, 09:30:31 PM
I always thought after 2011 that football was what kept Mickey Harte going.

It most certainly is, you could be cynical and say he wasn't long in a BBC studio and then taking another county. I just think he needs it.

That commute to Louth isn't exactly handy from his home house.

sensethetone

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 25, 2020, 09:56:47 AM

It most certainly is, you could be cynical and say he wasn't long in a BBC studio and then taking another county. I just think he needs it.

The man likes saying the Rosary in the car, he could have a few done on that commute.
When he gets home he could just shower and go straight to bed as he has his praying for the evening done.
Win Win.

GetOverTheBar

It's efficient use of time alright. Not much craic for Gavin Devlin though.

sensethetone

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 25, 2020, 11:48:48 AM
It's efficient use of time alright. Not much craic for Gavin Devlin though.

Horse can pray away to Holie Gohost that an IS200 doesn't hand brake turn in front of them and take their money back.

StPatsAbu

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 25, 2020, 09:56:47 AM

On good authority that an agreed quota of training sessions will be in Garvahey.  Money no object to Louth so the mountain will come to Jehovah!

Blowitupref

Took on the Louth gig in November 2020 when they were just relegated to Division 4 losing 6 of their 7 games.

March 2022 Louth promoted to Division 2.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

grounded

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 29, 2022, 05:41:04 PM
Took on the Louth gig in November 2020 when they were just relegated to Division 4 losing 6 of their 7 games.

Yep, he has Louth going well.

marty34

Quote from: grounded on March 29, 2022, 06:56:09 PM

Yep, he has Louth going well.

Great achievement alright. Punching well above their weight.

Fair play to him and Devlin.

Jim Bob

Knowing Mickey he ll be convincing Louth that Dublin can be taken this year.

Armagh18

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 29, 2022, 11:10:53 PM
if ever there was a year to do it. What I could see happening is Kildare beating Dublin then a weaker county catching Kildare in the final. (Assuming Kildare meet the Dubs before the final.)

RedHand88

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 29, 2022, 11:10:53 PM

Well next year Louth will be in the same division  as Kildare who took Dublin this year so you never know.
Ok I'm clutching at straws here but better to be an optimist than accept defeat against Dublin. Too many have done that in the last 5 years.

twohands!!!

I remember McConville saying that Louth were very likely to bounce back based on what he saw with Dundalk IT in terms of what was coming through and Mickey had been fairly astute in joining when he did.

The most likely thing come championship is a win over Carlow followed by a loss to Kildare.

After that things could get nasty in the qualifiers - it's hard to see them going on much of a run there, considering the quality that will be there - themselves and Limerick might yet end up looking on enviously at the Tailteann Cup teams.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 30, 2022, 04:28:03 PM

I remember McConville saying that Louth were very likely to bounce back based on what he saw with Dundalk IT in terms of what was coming through and Mickey had been fairly astute in joining when he did.

The most likely thing come championship is a win over Carlow followed by a loss to Kildare.

After that things could get nasty in the qualifiers - it's hard to see them going on much of a run there, considering the quality that will be there - themselves and Limerick might yet end up looking on enviously at the Tailteann Cup teams.

McConville would always talk up any team he's involved with, in reality Dundalk IT would struggle to be competitive in the Sigerson cup.

Since the U20 championship was introduced in 2018 Louth have played 5 and lost 5 to Offaly twice, Longford, Carlow, Wexford.

Louth senior footballers would have a certain ceiling and it remains to be seen if they can do a Clare and become a long term divsion 2 outfit under a good manager. If they are to be demoted next year i wouldn't be surprised if Louth won Tailteann Cup.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 30, 2022, 05:32:12 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on March 30, 2022, 04:28:03 PM

McConville would always talk up any team he's involved with, in reality Dundalk IT would struggle to be competitive in the Sigerson cup.

Since the U20 championship was introduced in 2018 Louth have played 5 and lost 5 to Offaly twice, Longford, Carlow, Wexford.

Louth senior footballers would have a certain ceiling and it remains to be seen if they can do a Clare and become a long term divsion 2 outfit under a good manager. If they are to be demoted next year i wouldn't be surprised if Louth won Tailteann Cup.

I think the fact that they won 2 promotions in a row kinda proves McConville right though.

A lot of people seem to think that because Louth is the smallest sized county it's got a small population.

However in the last census it was the county with the 18th biggest population (it was less than 2,000 behind Mayo in 17th and about 10,000 ahead of Clare in 19th)

It was the 6th most populous Leinster County.

I know soccer has a serious hold in the county but you'd have to think there is serious potential to develop the game in the county given those sort of numbers.

Surviving in Division 2 next year is going to be a serious ask (both for them and Limerick)

I'm not sure about their chances in terms of the Tailteann Cup if they do get relegated next year.

I can't help wonder if Mickey might be a manager who is a bit ambivalent about it.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the teams who do end up in the Tailteann Cup after getting relegated from Division 2 struggle in the year they get relegated.

Over the last decade the form of teams who get relegated in the league has tended to be pretty poor in that year's championship bar a handful of exceptions and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen with the Tailteann Cup over the next few years - out of the 4 relegated teams this year (Down, Offaly, Wicklow, Longford) the only one I wouldn't be surprised to see have any real impact are Offaly.