Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

*Removed due to title change, would have deleted it if possible*
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

full back

Mentalman

Just wondering who's going to forfeit the points and have a 3-0 loss registered against them?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

T Fearon

Firstly Kane is never going to make the real Ireland senior squad and he has probably been told that by Don Givens.

Darron Gibson is the real star with ambition.

nifan

Did you not highly rate kane not that long ago?

And why would someone tell a player on the fringe of a premiership club they will never make the senior squad? That would be a very strange thing to do.

T Fearon

How else can his change of heart be explained in the space of a couple of months? Also I have no doubt that Worthington has stalked him and promised him a full cap in the next few months etc.

nifan

Kane initially switched after being frustrated over an administration error by the IFA youth teams that screwed him over - the FAI saw this and got him over.
Worthington has obviously apologised etc. and kane has decided to return.

As it happens e will be in our senior squad now, and perhaps he will get the cap sooner rather than later. I will be happy enough as he is a good wee player, and id rather have him as an option than not (i regret not having the option of gibson or oconnor still)

Id ask if you think that the ROI has such a strong team that you can tell young players at premiership clubs they have no chance.

T Fearon

I suppose its all to do with pecking orders at any given time, and it sounds like he sees a better chance in getting a place in a defence where his main rivals are Chris Baird, Aaron Hughes etc rather than Steve Finnan, Richard Dunne and John O'Shea. Can hardly blame him! ;D

nifan

Seriously - how much strength in depth do the ROI have at the back that they could tell him he has no chance.

your current squad:
Richard Dunne - Manchester City
Steve Finnan - Liverpool
Kevin Foley - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Stephen Kelly - Birmingham City
Paul McShane - Sunderland
John O’Shea - Manchester United

Is kevin foley that much better a prospect than Kane?

Main Street

QuoteKane initially switched after being frustrated over an administration error by the IFA youth teams that screwed him over - the FAI saw this and got him ove
And you think the FAI are blessed with such vision  ;D

How about Kane contacted them about declaring and Kane sent in his written request to FIFA.

Quoteand why would someone tell a player on the fringe of a premiership club they will never make the senior squad? That would be a very strange thing to do.
It's nonsense anyway. Givens has no sway with the senior team.
Kane was not picked for a competitive u21 match. It is more likely that Kane could not get a gaurentee from Givens that he would be in the u21 team. Givens is a football grinch :) 
We are lucky that any of our footballers manage to survive that phase of their path through the underage set up.

heganboy

QuoteCan hardly blame him! Grin

Oh I'd say you'll blame him for something sooner or later
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on September 04, 2007, 07:11:17 PM
QuoteKane initially switched after being frustrated over an administration error by the IFA youth teams that screwed him over - the FAI saw this and got him ove
And you think the FAI are blessed with such vision  ;D

How about Kane contacted them about declaring and Kane sent in his written request to FIFA.

Fair enough my - it may have been him contacted the FAI, though i heard the opposite, not sure.

What is certain it was the IFA calling him back from a blackburn pre season to play for the youth team, then failing to register him for the tournament that caused it all.

Main Street

It was Givens who stated that it was Kane who approached the FAI asking to play for Ireland.

Kane played for the Republic in an U-21 friendly against Germany last week

"If it's true, it would be a massive change of heart from Tony," said Givens.

Could indicate that he does not have much of a rapport with Givens.
Indicates a strong decision taken in private.
Could also be the result of an unethical fervent approach by the NI manager to a player registered with another federation.
Imo, it smacks of IFA hypocrecy.

I have never seen Kane play also I don't know in what esteem he was held by Givens. Looks like he might have been good enough for the u21 squad.
It is his right to change his mind, he always had up to the age of 21 as long as he only played underage friendlies for Ireland..

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on September 05, 2007, 11:48:48 AM
Could also be the result of an unethical fervent approach by the NI manager to a player registered with another federation.
Imo, it smacks of IFA hypocrecy.

Hardly unethical or hypocritical of the IFA approaching a player born within the IFA's jurisdiction.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Main Street

The bit you missed was 'registered to another Federation'.
Where the player was born or who he qualifies for doesn't come into it.
He can only change federations after his request for a transfer to NI has been processed by FIFA.

IFA "tapping"
Unethical but not illegal.