The most bonkers moments in GAA

Started by BennyCake, April 27, 2020, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

GAA president Liam O'Neill insulting fans who didn't like the Sky deal in 2014

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-president-clarifies-remarks-about-prime-time-audience-member-1.1750883

The following day, speaking at a GAA function in Croke Park, O'Neill sharply criticised RTÉ's treatment of the story stating: "I think the star of the show was Prime Time in fairness. Where they got people in the audience... where they got the character barely able to read, calling us whatever he called us. Where did they get them?"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

five points

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2020, 12:46:39 PM
GAA president Liam O'Neill insulting fans who didn't like the Sky deal in 2014

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-president-clarifies-remarks-about-prime-time-audience-member-1.1750883

The following day, speaking at a GAA function in Croke Park, O'Neill sharply criticised RTÉ's treatment of the story stating: "I think the star of the show was Prime Time in fairness. Where they got people in the audience... where they got the character barely able to read, calling us whatever he called us. Where did they get them?"

Par for the course with O'Neill's car crash presidency.

J70

Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 27, 2020, 04:13:33 PM
Kerry's first All-Ireland was in hurling.

Before the Ulster Senior Hurling Championship was abandoned after WW2, Donegal made it to 13 finals, winning 3. Haven't been back since.

We didn't make a football final until 1963 and didn't win a senior football title until 1972.

johnnycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 27, 2020, 04:04:03 PM
The Biffos sitdown protest in the 1998 semi versus Clare was a bit mad!

Certainly the maddest thing I've ever saw and it was live on TV at the time.
There was meant to be either a B or intermediate championship game on after that game and it had to be cancelled.
If you watch the footage of it again there's either Carlow or Kildare hurlers pucking balls about in the background.

Biffo's went on to win the AI that year IIRC.

Clare were out on their feet in the replay.

screenexile

Clones 1994 James McCartan is destroying Paul Donnelly and loses his boot as he runs in towards goal and is fouled for a penalty.

Donnelly lifted his boot and fired it into the crowd. . . But it wasn't Tyronies who invented cynical play ;)

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 01:54:10 PM

There was meant to be either a B or intermediate championship game on after that game and it had to be cancelled.
If you watch the footage of it again there's either Carlow or Kildare hurlers pucking balls about in the background.

Nearly sure Paul Galvin was hurling for one of the teams afterwards. Think he was actually injured or suspended for that match, but was available for the rescheduled match. Read it in his book.

BennyCake

Recall Kerry scoring a goal a few years back. Might have been Maurice Fitzgerald who shot, ball went wide but hit the metal stanchion thing and back into play. Ball came back to him and he put it in the net. The goal stood.

rosnarun

I think the picture of 5 men trying to eject one mayo man in limerick deserves a mention
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mrdeeds

Peter Reilly in an Ulster championship game looking for a contact lense on the pitch.

Rudi

Mayo V Dublin at the neutral, sorry I mean Dublin home venue of Croke Park in 06. Mayo warmed up in front of the Dublin supporters in Hill 16. Ciaran Whelan threw his weight about like a big sausage as did his manager a member of the Gaurds. Hitting Jim Morrisson (RIP) with a big shoulder into the back, like a big coward. Never as happy to see a team getting beat as I was that day, McDonald & Mayo put manners on the brats that day. Mayo were not just roared on that day by their own supporters, Rossies & Leitrim fans roared them on to.

dublin7

Quote from: Rudi on April 28, 2020, 03:02:48 PM
Mayo V Dublin at the neutral, sorry I mean Dublin home venue of Croke Park in 06. Mayo warmed up in front of the Dublin supporters in Hill 16. Ciaran Whelan threw his weight about like a big sausage as did his manager a member of the Gaurds. Hitting Jim Morrisson (RIP) with a big shoulder into the back, like a big coward. Never as happy to see a team getting beat as I was that day, McDonald & Mayo put manners on the brats that day. Mayo were not just roared on that day by their own supporters, Rossies & Leitrim fans roared them on to.

David Brady has made a career out of dining out on that story on radio/TV. For all the talk of Mayo getting one over on the dubs with warming up at the hill end people forget though that dubs were cruising in that game and were 7 points ahead at one stage in the 2nd half. A typical 2nd half collapse by that team of that era and Sherlock (I think) hitting the bar going for a last minute equaliser cost them

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 01:54:10 PM

I was at the match. It was so weird and impossible to know what was happening. We were walking back to the city centre when we heard there was a replay.

The Michael Duignan laochra gael episode covers the Babs/Bond summer that ended in Offaly's last all Ireland

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Quote from: dublin7 on April 28, 2020, 04:56:27 PM

David Brady has made a career out of dining out on that story on radio/TV. For all the talk of Mayo getting one over on the dubs with warming up at the hill end people forget though that dubs were cruising in that game and were 7 points ahead at one stage in the 2nd half. A typical 2nd half collapse by that team of that era and Sherlock (I think) hitting the bar going for a last minute equaliser cost them

The rumour doing the rounds is that Caffrey thought the same was won and changed up his formation as a dry run to something he was going to try in the final. Unlike the current Dublin team, that Dublin team was particularly unlike able and I think the entire country was delighted to see Whelan put on his arse by David Brady

BennyCake

Whelan looked like a complete tool marching up to the hill like a big gorilla.

By the way, it was John Morrison, not Jim  ;D

Sportacus

This could be a Mayo thread all of its own.  Two own goals in an All Ireland Final - very very rare to see  an own goal in club games, never mind two in the one day in an All Ireland Final.