The most bonkers moments in GAA

Started by BennyCake, April 27, 2020, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Watched MOTD's most bonkers Premier League moments. Most were fairly non-events. Cantona's Kung fu kick, Di Canio shoving the ref and Bent's beachball goal v Liverpool about the most memorable.

Anyway, it got me thinking about a GAA one.

Meath v Louth 2010 obviously is a big one.
Offaly fans sit down protest on the pitch in 1998 another.
Charlie Redmond getting sent off twice in 1995.

Any others you would include?

GetOverTheBar

Your big Mayo fella had to be held back by the daughter is another one for sure

Davy Fitz bound to have 2/3 entries on his own.

seafoid

Mayo winning the 1925 Connacht final but Galway represent Connacht and win the All Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on April 27, 2020, 01:10:11 PM
Watched MOTD's most bonkers Premier League moments. Most were fairly non-events. Cantona's Kung fu kick, Di Canio shoving the ref and Bent's beachball goal v Liverpool about the most memorable.

Anyway, it got me thinking about a GAA one.

Meath v Louth 2010 obviously is a big one.
Offaly fans sit down protest on the pitch in 1998 another.
Charlie Redmond getting sent off twice in 1995.

Any others you would include?

Cork take the train home
https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0423/696114-cork/

Jeansgate Crossmaglen Rangers vs Domintee
https://youtu.be/JLYo1pqmrlQ

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

The Meath 'goal' V Louth in Leinster Final and the 'schmoozzle' afterwards where the lad tried to shoulder the ref in the back and completely missed then came back for seconds.

Funny if it wasn't so serious!

befair

larryin89

How Shane enright stayed on the pitch in 2014 replay , laugh you may but I still can't fathom how Cormac loveskerry Reilly could award the penalty for a drag down and not card him , it was bizarre or plain cheating ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

brokencrossbar1

The Biffos sitdown protest in the 1998 semi versus Clare was a bit mad!

imtommygunn

Slightly more local but a player walking off the pitch in senior football when their team mates wouldn't pass to them lol.

Yeah Offaly Clare, Cork 83 or whatever year there were no opponents. Meath vs Louth has to be up there.

Ethan Tremblay

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Aaron Boone

Kerry's first All-Ireland was in hurling.

BennyCake

The Meath Antrim fiasco a couple of years ago, when it finished level but they got the score wrong and presented Meath with the Christy Ring cup.

Then for Meath to have to hand back the cup, and have a re-match.

A simple solution. Something lacking in 2010.

BennyCake

Roscommon wrecking the place in 1992. Well, just the crossbar...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CybEz6qHtNs

thewobbler

I don't know if it actually got the media attention (disdain) that it deserved. Which kind of shows how common the behaviour had become. But this was meant to be a showpiece game.

Dublin handpassing the ball around in circles for over 5 mins, with their opponents continuing to hold their defensive shape, despite being 5 points down, in one of the first Super 8 clashes vs Donegal. This should have been considered a seminal moment for Gaelic Football, one which should have been met with the end of the Super 8s, and frees being awarded against back passes back into your own half.

Everyone should watch it again. And vomit.

dublin7

Quote from: thewobbler on April 27, 2020, 04:29:39 PM
I don't know if it actually got the media attention (disdain) that it deserved. Which kind of shows how common the behaviour had become. But this was meant to be a showpiece game.

Dublin handpassing the ball around in circles for over 5 mins, with their opponents continuing to hold their defensive shape, despite being 5 points down, in one of the first Super 8 clashes vs Donegal. This should have been considered a seminal moment for Gaelic Football, one which should have been met with the end of the Super 8s, and frees being awarded against back passes back into your own half.

Everyone should watch it again. And vomit.

Dublin v Donegal in 2011 and the beginning of the blanket defence in football. Now that was vomit enducing and no one should be forced to watch it again.

Thank f**k we are finally starting to see the end of it and teams now realise it wont work against the top sides and/or win an All Ireland.

Also back in the 80s Wexford were playing Dublin in the championship in Wexford Park. Stand was full so some dubs took up positions on the roof of the dressing rooms to watch the game. Part of the roof gave way and a few dubs fell through the roof and landed in the middle of the Wexford dressing room during their pre match teamtalk.