County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 01, 2017, 07:03:13 AM
There is only one Rory Gallagher in Donegal and it defo isnt this one.

Much as I dislike McGuinness he was a great manager. Gallagher's "Phil Neal" act annoyed me even more and he has proved hiimself to be nothing more than a hanger on as the team got progressively worse every year.

In fairness to Gallagher he has had to introduce all the youngsters together because McGuinness didn't. Stuck with the same players and ran them into the ground. Whoever takes over will have a group of young lads who at least have a year's experience behind them

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2017, 12:41:08 AM
Rochford is dead man walking  and McStay will be on thin ice also unless they beat Mayo in replay. Walsh in Galway as well is cooked. Very well done.
McStay is quite safe now no matter what happens next Monday.
Walsh and Carew are on the thin ice.
Leinster is some graveyard for Managers with the Midlands being a total wipe out. Wonder will Wexford stop wasting money on the Barry buck?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2017, 08:43:37 PM
Cork, Laois, Longford, Westmeath, Wicklow, Louth, Fermanagh, Donegal.......

Ahem! Don't forget Offaly. We must be top of the charts in Manager turnover.

Rossfan

Indeed AZ. Someone added them earlier.
Anyone on the horizon or  are ye engaged in merger talks with Laois?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rossfan on August 01, 2017, 11:21:06 AM
Indeed AZ. Someone added them earlier.
Anyone on the horizon or  are ye engaged in merger talks with Laois?

They are too busy trying to kick the chairman out and the chairman is too busy trying to outmanoeuvre them to even thing about new managers. When I despair at our board I remember it could always be worse.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

J70

Quote from: dublin7 on August 01, 2017, 09:15:48 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 01, 2017, 07:03:13 AM
There is only one Rory Gallagher in Donegal and it defo isnt this one.

Much as I dislike McGuinness he was a great manager. Gallagher's "Phil Neal" act annoyed me even more and he has proved hiimself to be nothing more than a hanger on as the team got progressively worse every year.

In fairness to Gallagher he has had to introduce all the youngsters together because McGuinness didn't. Stuck with the same players and ran them into the ground. Whoever takes over will have a group of young lads who at least have a year's experience behind them

McGuinness left three years ago. And in his last season, when we could easily have won it all again, he introduced Ryan McHugh, Odhran MacNiallais and Darragh O'Connor to the first 15. The likes of Mark McHugh, Paddy McGrath, 17 year old Paddy McBrearty and Dermot Malloy became regulars in his first season. Granted, one would like to have seen another one or two introduced in 2013, in addition to Ryan McHugh making a start, but were the players there?
Gallagher should have started bringing one or two more through last year, in addition to Kieran Gillespie. But he was probably victim as well to circumstance, in that there was a bit of a gap in quality between the young and older players playing football in Donegal. And if you believe the Declan Bonner column in the Donegal News, there is another gap looming following the current crop of young lads who made up this years U-21s.

omagh_gael

Bonner fairly sticks the knife into Gallagher there. Is he still the u21 manager? Not very cool to be lamenting the lack of talent coming through!

macdanger2

Owenmoresider

He'll get ten yet, sure if we stumble out of Ruislip next year it'll probably secure him another year alone. What hope we might have for next year is gone.

Rossfan

AZOffaly

Just wondering if any other county in Ireland has had the Turnover in Hurling and Football managers since 2003, when I believe Paul O'Kelly was badly wronged, as Offaly has had?

Paul O'Kelly 02-03
Gerry Fahy  03-04
Kevin Kilmurray 04-06
Pat Roe 06-08
Richie Connor 08-09
Tom Cribben 09-11
Gerry Cooney 11
Tom Coffey 11
Emmett McDonnell 12-14
Pat Flanagan 14-17

10 managers in 14 years or so.

And in hurling

Michael McNamara 02-04
John McIntyre 04-07
Joe Dooley 07-11 (Unbelievable stint in Offaly terms!)
Ollie Baker 11-13
Brian Whelehan 13-15
Eamon Kelly 15-16
Kevin Ryan 16-17

Average of change every second season.

So we've had 17 different managers in 14 years, or in 28 'team years'. Stability how are you?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2017, 10:22:47 AM
Just wondering if any other county in Ireland has had the Turnover in Hurling and Football managers since 2003, when I believe Paul O'Kelly was badly wronged, as Offaly has had?

Paul O'Kelly 02-03
Gerry Fahy  03-04
Kevin Kilmurray 04-06
Pat Roe 06-08
Richie Connor 08-09
Tom Cribben 09-11
Gerry Cooney 11
Tom Coffey 11
Emmett McDonnell 12-14
Pat Flanagan 14-17

10 managers in 14 years or so.

And in hurling

Michael McNamara 02-04
John McIntyre 04-07
Joe Dooley 07-11 (Unbelievable stint in Offaly terms!)
Ollie Baker 11-13
Brian Whelehan 13-15
Eamon Kelly 15-16
Kevin Ryan 16-17

Average of change every second season.

So we've had 17 different managers in 14 years, or in 28 'team years'. Stability how are you?

Kildare have had 20 in 112 years....
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 01, 2017, 11:45:49 PM
Bonner fairly sticks the knife into Gallagher there. Is he still the u21 manager? Not very cool to be lamenting the lack of talent coming through!

Hadn't heard anything to the contrary, so I am assuming he is still U-21 manager. However, he had brought the current bunch up through each age level, so I don't know if he will be going again (he managed them to AI minor runners up in 2014, after also having them as U16s).

I would question his condemnation of the lack of coordination and transition between the successive management teams though - he admits himself he never spoke to his predecessor when he took over the group. He's an influential figure in Donegal football, with a weekly column in a county paper also. Although perhaps he has been trying to improve things behind the scenes and just getting frustrated. Politics and fiefdoms is not exactly new in Donegal GAA, as the likes of McGuinness, McHugh, Mulgrew, Bonner himself and outsiders such as Brian McIvor will attest from their experiences as senior managers or candidates.