GAA presidential election 2020

Started by Eamonnca1, February 26, 2020, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Jarlath Burns and Larry McCarthy the frontrunners, I hear. McCarthy would be a strong candidate. Hugely qualified, and would have a global perspective.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 26, 2020, 02:12:45 AM
Jarlath Burns and Larry McCarthy the frontrunners, I hear. McCarthy would be a strong candidate. Hugely qualified, and would have a global perspective.

I would want Jarlath Burns, id imagine he is favorite.

Taylor

Correct Greatest - he is 4/5 favourite.

Always seems very level headed and would hope he would bring a level of 'realism' to the position.

Someone said before he is head of a large school - wonder what would happen to his role if he was to win the Presidency

Tyrdub

Quote from: Taylor on February 26, 2020, 08:34:39 AM

Always seems very level headed and would hope he would bring a level of 'realism' to the position.

Someone said before he is head of a large school - wonder what would happen to his role if he was to win the Presidency

the same JB who suggested doing away with Amhran na bhFiann??????

tiempo

Realism?  :o

Q. Are you saying then that you'd have no reluctance in hauling down the green, white and orange flag flying over a GAA pitch, your own club or any other GAA club throughout Northern Ireland or without the island of Ireland?

A. Yeah, it wouldn't cost me a thought

rosnarun

normally they go on career break and get paid the same amount as they were getting . thought there are suggestions this time a flat figure be used
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

trailer

Quote from: Tyrdub on February 26, 2020, 08:39:44 AM

the same JB who suggested doing away with Amhran na bhFiann??????

Context

For those who would like the entirety of what he said - here's a link to the interview with Eamonn Mallie.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/id-haul-down-tricolour-if-it-would-make-gaa-more-acceptable-to-unionists-31563469.html

Rossfan

I seldom see a Tricolour at Club grounds.
When the new All Ireland State comes there will be a new flag.
Meanwhile sports organisations in the North should simply fly their Organisations flag.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

The idea that Jarlath Burns is some sort of anti-republican is hilarious.

TheGreatest

Quote from: five points on February 26, 2020, 10:18:13 AM
The idea that Jarlath Burns is some sort of anti-republican is hilarious.

Its a valid point he made. I dont think it will happen for quite some time yet.

Never heard of the others tbh,

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0927/1078629-new-yorks-mccarthy-enters-race-for-gaa-presidency/

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2020, 10:16:08 AM
Meanwhile sports organisations in the North should simply fly their Organisations flag.
I have to agree completely.
I think the GAA should concentrate on, well, being the GAA and leave politics of any sort on the sideline.. A short while ago, during the abortion controversy, we had the likes of Mickey Harte and Joe Sheridan trying to use their GAA profiles to highlight their opposition to a change in the law. I think i's fair to say that the reaction to their publicity stunt was overwhelmingly negative.
The overall reaction was that it is unacceptable to bring matters of religious beliefs into sport. In simple terms, using the GAA to promote any religious agenda is unacceptable - the majority of its supporters.
The association has a policy of staying aloof of party politics; I'd go further and say that politics of any sort should have no place in our national games.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tiempo

What I like most about this post is the confirmation that you see the tricolour at club grounds without pontificating what sports organisations in the south, east and west should do re flags?

Way back to the shires lad.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tiempo on February 26, 2020, 03:20:12 PM

What I like most about this post is the confirmation that you see the tricolour at club grounds without pontificating what sports organisations in the south, east and west should do re flags?

Flags are somewhat less of a contentious issue in the south, east and west.

Rossfan

Translation anyone?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2020, 04:39:05 PM

Translation anyone?

It meant that you were a partitionist west Brit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B