Roscommon v Clare - AIQ R4A [23/07/16]

Started by Syferus, July 18, 2016, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 24, 2016, 12:33:24 PM
I don't know too much about the thinking of Rossie people or the team but as an outside looking in they appear to blame everything but themselves. Last years U21 defeat was blamed on big bad Tyrone, nothing to do with how Roscommon players couldn't handle the heat when pressure was applied. A few weeks ago the bloody rain and wind was blamed, yesterday McStay is blaming a 6 day turnaround, even though Clare had the same turnaround. Until they look at their own failings they will never progress. After a huge amount of moaning about big bad Meath in 1996, Tyrone eventually used the experience as a positive. Roscommon have plenty of good players, hopefully they can learn from their mistakes and eventually become a big force, the championship would be better for it.

I agree, the bottom line is they are pretty average.

Some of their fans seem to have a bizarre take on where their team are at. They don't look to have any standout player in their team, they don't seem to have any player who has done it at Championship level, they haven't beaten Mayo or Galway in 15 years in Championship, they haven't really beaten anyone of note in 15 years of Championship football. If Roscommon are to progress I think there needs to be an acceptance that they are pretty ordinary and in order to compete with the best they will have to sacrifice their games and fight and battle for every ball. I think as has been shown in the past few years with them, when the heat is turned up they don't want to know about the battle.

I asked the question 4 months ago how good were Roscommon when they couldn't beat Dublin's B Team in the National League

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: INDIANA on July 24, 2016, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 12:40:57 PM
I don't know too much about the thinking of Rossie people or the team but as an outside looking in they appear to blame everything but themselves. Last years U21 defeat was blamed on big bad Tyrone, nothing to do with how Roscommon players couldn't handle the heat when pressure was applied. A few weeks ago the bloody rain and wind was blamed, yesterday McStay is blaming a 6 day turnaround, even though Clare had the same turnaround. Until they look at their own failings they will never progress. After a huge amount of moaning about big bad Meath in 1996, Tyrone eventually used the experience as a positive. Roscommon have plenty of good players, hopefully they can learn from their mistakes and eventually become a big force, the championship would be better for it.

I agree, the bottom line is they are pretty average.

Some of their fans seem to have a bizarre take on where their team are at. They don't look to have any standout player in their team, they don't seem to have any player who has done it at Championship level, they haven't beaten Mayo or Galway in 15 years in Championship, they haven't really beaten anyone of note in 15 years of Championship football. If Roscommon are to progress I think there needs to be an acceptance that they are pretty ordinary and in order to compete with the best they will have to sacrifice their games and fight and battle for every ball. I think as has been shown in the past few years with them, when the heat is turned up they don't want to know about the battle.

I asked the question 4 months ago how good were Roscommon when they couldn't beat Dublin's B Team in the National League

I think it's also worth noting that Roscommon had one of the biggest spending budgets of any intercounty team last year.

Mclf

As I said yesterday this thread needs more Syferus, however just like every other time when he is called out as a spoofer he runs to another thread with his tail between his legs, as Joe Brolly said, Roscommon are useless, simple are them three words. Where the sense of grandeur or delusion comes from inside the county of how good they are is insane.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2016, 12:33:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2016, 12:21:08 PM
The best thing the Rossies (Players and management) can do now is take a break from all things football for two months. Clear the head! Serious thought has to be put into what effort is put into various competitions. Roscommon has won the FBD and done well in the League the last two seasons. FBD has to be relegated greatly importance wise. The last two seasons we have played the Rossies in the FBD, I found they were hitting hard and taking it to serious. I can totally understand Ros taking the League serious the last two seasons. Next year they are going to have to take a chance on not being as sharp for the league. Two to three wins can keep you in Division One. The Championship is the be all and end all of the season. In 2010 Mayo won the FBD, won 6 out of 7 league games and got to the league final. We were flying and looking forward to the Championship. We lost to Sligo in the Connacht Quarter final and Longford in round one of the Qualifiers. We put to much effort into earlier competitions and were flat coming into the Championship.

The reality is the Championship is where it is at. Galway stumbled through Division Two this year. The Rossies held their own in Division One. All the talk is of Galway. No body cares that they are a mid-table 2nd Division side! They put Mayo on their Arse, Won a Connacht, are in the Quaters and could make a semi final at least. Roscommons early form is all but forgotten (or even ridiculed in true GAA fashion).

Bunker, we were naming quintessentially FBD teams against ye in January, to put it in perspective in this year's FBD League final we played 6 of the eventual starters for the Connacht final whereas Galway lined out with something like 13 of their starters. The idea the FBD even registers is nonsense to be frank - we've won a single one of them since 1999, how many do Mayo and Galway have in that period? The only reason the Mayo game has any importance is because it's usually the last warm-up game before the league starts barring a final appearance, which is more of a hassle than a help given it will always be week before Round 1. Players are playing to either stay on the panel for the league or make the starting line-up for the league. There's plenty of motivation for every team in the country in that situation.

The NFL you might have more of a case to be made but we've basically been in a tailspin since we beat a Donegal team that was in fine form coming into that game in March. People can say, oh you peaked too early, but really March was still very early in the year so it's hardly as simple as that. We had plenty of time between the Donegal game and our next serious game - Galway, with all due respect to Sligo - on July 10th to find energy or form but we found neither. That needs to be looked at and the answer will not be as simple as pretending we're doing absolutely no work in the winter ala Kerry.
All due respect my arse, you wouldn't know the meaning of the word, your sense of delusion has been well exposed the last few weeks, we might be rather mediocre but we realise it, and besides at least we have beaten Mayo and Galway (x 3) in championship football in the last 15 years, unlike your heroes for all the talk. Well done Clare.

Captain Obvious

In fairness the Roscommon U21 team last year was Connacht champions and got within four points of Tyrone the eventual All Ireland champions.

Roscommon seniors even though they drew the first Connacht final they look further than ever away from winning a provincial title. Yesterday they had no energy,confidence game plan or system of play. I don't want to take away from Clares fine achievement of reaching All Ireland quarter final but Roscommon in that type of form was there for taking for any decent organised team.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 24, 2016, 04:50:04 PM

In fairness the Roscommon U21 team last year was Connacht champions and got within four points of Tyrone the eventual All Ireland champions.

Roscommon seniors even though they drew the first Connacht final they look further than ever away from winning a provincial title. Yesterday they had no energy,confidence game plan or system of play. I don't want to take away from Clares fine achievement of reaching All Ireland quarter final but Roscommon in that type of form was there for taking for any decent organised team.

Roscommon have been there for the taking in the last 15 years for any decent organised team.

The four point defeat we inflicted on them in last year's u21 final was as flattering on them a yesterday's 6 point defeat to Clare was. It should have been a lot more.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 04:59:42 PM

Roscommon have been there for the taking in the last 15 years for any decent organised team.

The four point defeat we inflicted on them in last year's u21 final was as flattering on them a yesterday's 6 point defeat to Clare was. It should have been a lot more.

Don't agree. Only two years ago I seen Roscommons seniors get within one point of Mayo. The Tyrone Roscommon U21 semi final last year was in balance right up to the final few minutes Tyrone secured the win with a few late scores.

Clare could easily have won by more but that was as much about Roscommon and how they performed than Clare in my opinion.

manfromdelmonte

For a team that was in Division 4 only 5 years ago, Roscommon aren't doing that bad

A lot of the bad habits formed by playing at that level are still evident.

It'll take a few years but I'd have confidence in the quality of young players in the county. But do we have the coaches and management good enough to improve them?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 24, 2016, 05:11:33 PM

Don't agree. Only two years ago I seen Roscommons seniors get within one point of Mayo. The Tyrone Roscommon U21 semi final last year was in balance right up to the final few minutes Tyrone secured the win with a few late scores.

Clare could easily have won by more but that was as much about Roscommon and how they performed than Clare in my opinion.

The Tyrone Roscommon u21 game was in the balance the same way the Roscommon Clare game was in the balance yesterday. The scoreline flattered Roscommon as it did yesterday, they were kept at arms lenght for the majority of the game, Tyrone pretty much led from start to finish in the u21 game.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 05:25:55 PM

The Tyrone Roscommon u21 game was in the balance the same way the Roscommon Clare game was in the balance yesterday. The scoreline flattered Roscommon as it did yesterday, they were kept at arms lenght for the majority of the game, Tyrone pretty much led from start to finish in the u21 game.

You must have watched different games than me. Yesterday game was over when Clare led by five  points at half time against the wind. Tyrone only led that U21 game by 2 points and it took three injury time points to secure the win. Like I said already that was a good Tyrone team that went on to win that All Ireland Clare on the other hand will likely get well beaten next Sunday.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 24, 2016, 05:41:07 PM

You must have watched different games than me. Yesterday game was over when Clare led by five  points at half time against the wind. Tyrone only led that U21 game by 2 points and it took three injury time points to secure the win. Like I said already that was a good Tyrone team that went on to win that All Ireland Clare on the other hand will likely get well beaten next Sunday.

There was about 3 points in it yesterday with not too long to go and I think Clare might have been a man down at the time, the game should have been over a lot earlier but it wasn't. That doesn't disguise the fact that the 6 point defeat flattered Roscommon.

The same was the case with Roscommon and Tyrone in the u21 game, Tyrone led from pretty much start to finish and had Roscommon at arms length, the result flattered Roscommon.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 05:51:48 PM

There was about 3 points in it yesterday with not too long to go and I think Clare might have been a man down at the time, the game should have been over a lot earlier but it wasn't. That doesn't disguise the fact that the 6 point defeat flattered Roscommon.

The same was the case with Roscommon and Tyrone in the u21 game, Tyrone led from pretty much start to finish and had Roscommon at arms length, the result flattered Roscommon.

You are missing my point. The Tyrone U21 win and manner of it was all about the quality of Tyrone. Clares win yesterday and the manner of it was as much about Roscommon than Clare.

Rossfan

That Bomber has a bad obsession.
Get herself a girl friend.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2016, 06:17:59 PM
That Bomber has a bad obsession.
Get herself a girl friend.

He has an unhealthy obsession of how good Tyrone truly are as well.

Roscommon are guilty of playing like an u21 team still. Not uncommon for a young panel but they have no defensive organisation whatsoever.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 24, 2016, 06:10:38 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 05:51:48 PM

You are missing my point. The Tyrone U21 win and manner of it was all about the quality of Tyrone. Clares win yesterday and the manner of it was as much about Roscommon than Clare.

And you're missing my point.

Tyrone comprehensively beat Roscommon in u21 last year, they led from start to finish, held a 3 point wind against the breeze at half time and the result flattered Roscommon. They never looked liked winning and Tyrone had them at arms length for the majority of the game.

The same happened yesterday.

Roscommon were big favourites for that game, they were favourites against Clare yesterday, they were favourites against Sligo and Fermanagh last year, they were favourites against Armagh the year before that. They were pretty much comprehensively beaten in all those games with the exception of the Fermanagh game where they collapsed late on.