The Minister, the Commissioner and the whistleblower

Started by Hardy, February 20, 2014, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 16, 2017, 09:51:09 PM
Have to say I find this whole thing awful strange - why is there such a lack of political interest in this? It's not like anyone in particular is benefitting from this? So why the reluctance to listen to the whistle blowers and treat them correctly?

Kenny is obviously going to go soon but without having an answer to the question above, it's hard to see how it will change a whole lot

The fair  administration of Justice is utterly fundamental to any democracy .  The full truth must be found and wrongdoing punished . 

ashman

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2017, 08:51:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 16, 2017, 08:37:11 PM
The southern posters are posting more on the Brexit thread than here

So what? This is a local scandal. Brexit is f**king nuts

Brexit will be proved a good thing for the Uk .  Probably not for NI.  The EU is crumbling .  The Euro will be the rock on what it perishes .

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 16, 2017, 06:19:34 PM
There's no opportunism here

Basically the main party in power didn't want to deal with this issue properly, for the past 5 years!

I don't know why anybody didn't believe Luke Ming Flanagan, Wallace, and Clare Daly when they raised this issue over 5 years ago???? They first raised the McCabe issues in the Dail.
Penalty points issue
whistleblowers
intimidation and bullying in the gardai
Yet now it is only when FF and Lab start nosing about the issue that it comes to a head.

It was Ming, Wallace, Daly and other Independents who have done the state a lot of good by continuously raising this issue

My point exactly - when opposition raise an issue, the party under attack claim political opportunism and repeat it, as if it is a legitimate response.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

ashman

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on February 16, 2017, 10:20:00 PM

Basically the main party in power didn't want to deal with this issue properly, for the past 5 years!

I don't know why anybody didn't believe Luke Ming Flanagan, Wallace, and Clare Daly when they raised this issue over 5 years ago???? They first raised the McCabe issues in the Dail.
Penalty points issue
whistleblowers
Yet now it is only when FF and Lab start nosing about the issue that it comes to a head.

It was Ming, Wallace, Daly and other Independents who have done the state a lot of good by continuously raising this issue

My point exactly - when opposition raise an issue, the party under attack claim political opportunism and repeat it, as if it is a legitimate response.

That is politics .  It's a dirty game. We have an adversarial system on these islands .  It's awful to be honest . 

Rossfan

Quote from: ashman on February 16, 2017, 10:17:44 PM

Brexit will be proved a good thing for the Uk .  Probably not for NI.  The EU is crumbling .  The Euro will be the rock on what it perishes .
Sounds like a member of UKip
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 16, 2017, 11:22:27 PM
Quote from: ashman on February 16, 2017, 10:17:44 PM

Sounds like a member of UKip

Jesus which is worse? UKIP FF or FG?? All liars
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

They're Politicians.
What do you expect FFS!!
You need to add all the 6 Cos lots and the British Tories, Lab, Lib Dems and the vile evil cnut in the White House.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: ashman on February 16, 2017, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on February 16, 2017, 10:20:00 PM

Penalty points issue
whistleblowers

That is politics .  It's a dirty game. We have an adversarial system on these islands .  It's awful to be honest .

I know Ashman, but this Machiavellian thinking dates back to the 1500's - is it a human trait at this stage?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

vallankumous

It's the same with anything relating to the north.
The difference is, a political scandal in the north is an opportunity to say 'the north is a basket case'. Any political scandal in the north is attributed to the entire people of the north and dismissed as 'typical of the basket case the north is'. DUP, SF, SDLP, PUP etc, regardless of how different they are they are clumped together as northerners.
While in the south, it's the individual or a particualar party or institution that are responsible and isolated. Regardless of how similar the parties in the south are, they are separate and seen as separate. There is no blame attributed to the wider community. The Church Scandal, the property scandal etc. The church and the bankers are to blame, not the Irish people.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: gallsman on February 16, 2017, 09:53:10 PM
Mick Wallace being held up as a champion of righteousness.

Next, the Healy-Raes are a great bunch of lads with the national interest at heart.
stick to your stuff above the border

Wallace might be a tax cheat, and a crappy boss of his companies

but he has been fairly consistent on this issue
As have his other independent colleagues

this whole issue would never have reached the recent climax without the Independents being in the Dail

macdanger2

Quote from: vallankumous on February 17, 2017, 08:38:57 AM

It's the same with anything relating to the north.
The difference is, a political scandal in the north is an opportunity to say 'the north is a basket case'. Any political scandal in the north is attributed to the entire people of the north and dismissed as 'typical of the basket case the north is'. DUP, SF, SDLP, PUP etc, regardless of how different they are they are clumped together as northerners.
While in the south, it's the individual or a particualar party or institution that are responsible and isolated. Regardless of how similar the parties in the south are, they are separate and seen as separate. There is no blame attributed to the wider community. The Church Scandal, the property scandal etc. The church and the bankers are to blame, not the Irish people.

Much of a chip on your shoulder??

macdanger2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 17, 2017, 09:29:05 AM

Next, the Healy-Raes are a great bunch of lads with the national interest at heart.

this whole issue would never have reached the recent climax without the Independents being in the Dail

I wouldn't have much time for Wallace & Daly but they've been very good sticking with this. Fact is though it was getting nowhere until prime time reported on it which is a poor reflection on things.

Probably not that different to the RHI scandal which was widely known for quite a while but only became an issue after media coverage of it

gallsman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 17, 2017, 09:29:05 AM

He is consistent because he has an ulterior motive. Wallace is, always has been and will continue to be a crook.

As for "stick to your stuff above the border", I lived below the border for ten years and paid my personal taxes and VAT. I'll call that **** out on it if I want, thank you very much.

trileacman

Agreed holding Wallace up as your moral guardian is a f**king joke. The Bertie/haughty legacy thrives yet.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014