Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2020, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 08, 2020, 12:59:21 PM
Not quite just running but I see the first ever Down syndrome person completed an Ironman going. Some going.
Absolutely fantastic achievement by him, had a few tears in my eyes watching the video of him finishing.
Society puts limits on guys like him, its fantastic to see what he and others like him might be able to achieve when they are given the chance.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3513785315311024&id=417155091640744

Ya, thought is was amazing. Fair play to him.

clarshack

any recommendations on where to get a decent pair of runners online?

imtommygunn

laoislad

Quote from: clarshack on January 18, 2021, 02:06:46 PM
Adidas have a sale on at the moment.
Picked up a pair of SL20 for €52
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Quote from: laoislad on January 18, 2021, 02:21:36 PM

Do you have a link for that LL? Can't seem to find it. The .co.uk site has them at £60
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 18, 2021, 02:42:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 18, 2021, 02:21:36 PM

Do you have a link for that LL? Can't seem to find it. The .co.uk site has them at £60
They are €64.90 on Adidas.ie but then I used the code EXTRA20 for another 20% off to bring them down to €52 or €51.92 to be exact!!

https://www.adidas.ie/sl20-shoes/EG1144.html?cm_mmc=AdieSEM_PLA_Google-_-GS-OPT-IE-Categories-SubBranded-_-SUBBRAND+-+outlet-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&cm_mmca1=IE&cm_mmca2=&71700000024812056&ds_agid=58700003074129335&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB04FmTJRVlvoPQM8YjYk7cG8hK5XlGiPnankYdaxP_83ryH8nfGa1BoCg64QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Cheers LL. got a pair there as well. Have been mostly Asics  over last few years so will be good to try different make.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lurganblue

I've managed to get a few 5ks completed over the last couple of weeks without the calf going again (touch wood).  I was scrolling through facebook last night and noticed the virtual Belfast half marathon being advertised.  If I get a couple more injury free runs completed this month I definitely think I will take a stab at that. Something to motivate myself during these times.

imtommygunn

I had to do a period of isolation there and the first run I went back to I pulled my calf. I actually have more or less this same issue and I think it boils down to glute "control" for me. I work in a very static job so if I don't keep at exercises mine just go dead and for whatever reason that has a knock on effect on the calf.

bogball88

Quote from: Rois on November 16, 2020, 03:07:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 01:20:40 PM
Recommended physio's in Belfast areas?
Physio specifically or sports massage?
Former Tyrone player (All Ireland winner) won  has started a sports massage business if you want to talk football at same time 😁
Whos that?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogball88 on February 17, 2021, 04:44:30 PM
Quote from: Rois on November 16, 2020, 03:07:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 01:20:40 PM
Recommended physio's in Belfast areas?
Physio specifically or sports massage?
Former Tyrone player (All Ireland winner) won  has started a sports massage business if you want to talk football at same time 😁
Whos that?

I ended up at the Physio group in Belfast Ormeau Avenue.

Was a very successful few sessions which cleared up things

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 17, 2021, 04:42:57 PM
I had to do a period of isolation there and the first run I went back to I pulled my calf. I actually have more or less this same issue and I think it boils down to glute "control" for me. I work in a very static job so if I don't keep at exercises mine just go dead and for whatever reason that has a knock on effect on the calf.
Do you foam roll?
Glute activation - check banded exercises
Tight hamstrings also impact calves

imtommygunn

I foam roll non stop lol. I do banded exercises a lot but if I stop them then after about a week everything goes to shit again. Yeah hamstrings from too much sitting also not ideal. I try and stretch too but too easy to get out of the habit.

lurganblue

Yeah I think that is the same problem that I have.  Most of my working day is at a computer so I would say it all develops from my hips too.  I have worked quite a bit on strengthening my calf as best I could. Heel drops on the stairs, even 1 legged ones to add more weight to the calf. I tried the foam rolling but I have to say I don't think it's helping.

Fingers crossed it holds out.