The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2020, 03:25:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:09:25 PM
Holy $hit....did anyone see this beating....a 3 year old got a deliberate kick in the head

https://mobile.twitter.com/RayGarciahawaii/status/1283302899469213696

That's appalling.

The political angle is...?
The political angle is that the white supremacist has reached the stage where's gone so round the twist that he's desperately scouring the internet for videos of black people behaving badly in an effort to portray all black people as criminals and degenerates.

That genuinely is where white, right-wing America has ended up.

Scientology is a haven of diverse debate compared to this cult.

J70

Gail Collins has been doing a weekly back-and-forth column in the Times with, first, David Brooks, and lately, Bret Stephens, for years now.

That must really get the sheeple frothing at the mouth.

sid waddell

whitey

Holy $hit....did anyone see this beating....a 3 year old got a deliberate kick in the head

That's appalling.

Crime in the big cities is on an a significant upward trajectory and many Democrats are calling for the police to be defunded and other people are calling for the police to be disbanded.

Who would you call if your wife/sister/mother was taking a beating like that?

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on July 16, 2020, 03:33:17 PM

That's appalling.

The political angle is that the white supremacist has reached the stage where's gone so round the twist that he's desperately scouring the internet for videos of black people behaving badly in an effort to portray all black people as criminals and degenerates.

That genuinely is where white, right-wing America has ended up.

Scientology is a haven of diverse debate compared to this cult.

"Desperately scouring"????.....it was all over twitter yesterday

I see lots of crazy stuff on the internet but I have never seen a 3 or 4 year old take an intentional  kick to the face. You guys are all for defunding the police, but it's people like that poor woman and her child who are the ones who are going to suffer. 

easytiger95

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:49:04 PM

That's appalling.

Crime in the big cities is on an a significant upward trajectory and many Democrats are calling for the police to be defunded and other people are calling for the police to be disbanded.

Who would you call if your wife/sister/mother was taking a beating like that?

Is that from a big city?

Did the presence of police in that city stop that beating?

Are those who are calling for the defunding of police suggesting that brutal beatings like this be indulged and not pursued by the police?

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 03:10:35 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 01:17:28 PM
LOL

Even Bill Maher thinks the bias at The NY Times is off the hook, but keep it up guys

That's the head in the sand attitude that got Trump elected in the first place

https://mobile.twitter.com/billmaher/status/1283120122521989120

"Resignation Letter — Bari Weiss.    As a longtime reader who has in recent years read the paper with increasing dismay over just the reasons outlined here, I hope this letter finds receptive ears at the paper. But for the reasons outlined here,I doubt"

I don't get to vote in the US, more's the pity. But making a free speech martyr out of a journalist who a) resigned rather than being fired and b) made her name by campaigning to have academics fired because their views did not mirror hers - makes you rather more of an ostrich than me Whitey. But that is just more of the attitude that got Trump elected in the first place, but won't help him in this cycle.

As for why more journos would leave NYT over philosophical differences than WSJ - well that is obvious - they hire a more diverse staff at NYT in the hope of stimulating debate (unadvisedly in the case of Weiss and Stephens, who are only trolls) whereas WSJ has a much more defined conservative bent, and they hire along that line, hence less disagreements.

So are Matt Talibbi and Bill Maher both wrong about the New York Times?

WSJ has plenty of Op Ed's written by liberals-their readership just don't go in meltdown mode every time someone writes something they disagree with.

NY Times is the left wing version of Fox News. It's subscribers are a bunch of sheeple who vilify anyone who holds opinions different to themselves

Yes, I think they are.

Amazingly enough, just because some people share some of the same views I have, I don't have to agree with them on everything.

And I subscribe to the NYT app, and am regularly annoyed by some of the views I see posited there.

I think they are far too soft on the right and Trump, especially their sub editors and headline writers.

In the pursuit of balance they often eschew telling the truth, like when they don't describe Trumps lies as lies.

Although, unlike Fox News, they regularly hire and publish contributors with diametrically opposed views to any progressive consensus.

Which has its drawbacks as I have stated, but in general is healthy for an institution like it. Just unfortunate that some of those hires, like Weiss and Stephens, are such whiny snowflakes, and are unwilling to participate in the free and robust exchange of ideas.

But I'm just a sheeple, what would I know?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 03:10:35 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 16, 2020, 01:17:28 PM
LOL

Even Bill Maher thinks the bias at The NY Times is off the hook, but keep it up guys

That's the head in the sand attitude that got Trump elected in the first place

https://mobile.twitter.com/billmaher/status/1283120122521989120

"Resignation Letter — Bari Weiss.    As a longtime reader who has in recent years read the paper with increasing dismay over just the reasons outlined here, I hope this letter finds receptive ears at the paper. But for the reasons outlined here,I doubt"

I don't get to vote in the US, more's the pity. But making a free speech martyr out of a journalist who a) resigned rather than being fired and b) made her name by campaigning to have academics fired because their views did not mirror hers - makes you rather more of an ostrich than me Whitey. But that is just more of the attitude that got Trump elected in the first place, but won't help him in this cycle.

As for why more journos would leave NYT over philosophical differences than WSJ - well that is obvious - they hire a more diverse staff at NYT in the hope of stimulating debate (unadvisedly in the case of Weiss and Stephens, who are only trolls) whereas WSJ has a much more defined conservative bent, and they hire along that line, hence less disagreements.

So are Matt Talibbi and Bill Maher both wrong about the New York Times?

WSJ has plenty of Op Ed's written by liberals-their readership just don't go in meltdown mode every time someone writes something they disagree with.

NY Times is the left wing version of Fox News. It's subscribers are a bunch of sheeple who vilify anyone who holds opinions different to themselves

Yes, I think they are.

Amazingly enough, just because some people share some of the same views I have, I don't have to agree with them on everything.

And I subscribe to the NYT app, and am regularly annoyed by some of the views I see posited there.

I think they are far too soft on the right and Trump, especially their sub editors and headline writers.

In the pursuit of balance they often eschew telling the truth, like when they don't describe Trumps lies as lies.

Although, unlike Fox News, they regularly hire and publish contributors with diametrically opposed views to any progressive consensus.

Which has its drawbacks as I have stated, but in general is healthy for an institution like it. Just unfortunate that some of those hires, like Weiss and Stephens, are such whiny snowflakes, and are unwilling to participate in the free and robust exchange of ideas.

But I'm just a sheeple, what would I know?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fantastic .....Joe by 10 then

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 16, 2020, 12:07:02 PM
Hmm, right wing opinion writer on the NYT complains about the threat to free speech (despite her having a platform that size to publicize her views....)

then resigns (she was not fired or silenced) claiming that she was intimidated into doing so....

without anyone bringing up the reason for her rise to prominence, which was leading a campaign of intimidation against professors working in the Middle East department of Columbia University because they disagreed with Israel's Palestinian policy....

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/the-nyts-bari-weiss-falsely-denies-her-years-of-attacks-on-the-academic-freedom-of-arab-scholars-who-criticize-israel/ 

(Greenwald wrote this two years ago, she has been at this a long time)....

or without anyone on this site recognising her role in publicizing what she termed "the intellectual dark web", a loosely affiliated group of supposed "classical liberals" and "free-speech advocates" (Rubin, Shapiro, the Weinsteins, Jordan Peterson et al) who do nothing but avoid debate with leftists, main stream gruesome right wing bigots like Stefan Molyneux, Gavin McInnes and others, and complain about their speech being restricted despite all of them having access to huge online and broadcast platforms (including but not limited to, Fox News, CNN, HBO, Daily Wire, Joe Rogan Show....)

and at the time of her resignation, Andrew Sullivan and also, apparently, Ben Shapiro have decided to move on to non-defined new chapters in their careers. Watch out for some kind of new site, a right wing Vox perhaps, or a rival for Breitbart, but with added helpings of self pity, as they decry their speech being limited, while they rake in the corporate dollars and have unlimited scope for regurgitating their right wing dross into the MSM.

The right wing grift is an amazing one, and would almost make you want to applaud their stunning mendacity. It's a nice gig if you can get it.

Gotta hand it to Fox News and the like. They're a well oiled propaganda delivery system, punctuated by moments of self-pitying complaints about the "mainstream media" while simultaneously bragging about their stellar ratings.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2020, 09:51:02 AM
Quote from: Gmac on July 16, 2020, 04:41:09 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
Quote from: Gmac on July 14, 2020, 03:22:39 PM
17 people shot in nyc in one day ,wonder is de blassio worried about this or is he planning another painting project.

Yeah, I'm sure he's out there right now spray painting all the Trump properties in the city (at least those that still have Trump's name on them) and wiring up One Police Plaza for demolition as we speak.

You're a wee bit obsessed with a mayor who lives in and whose power is limited to a city 3000 miles away from you.
not at all just concerned that your mayor is getting  the people he wants to protect killed with his insane policies .

Such as?
disbanding under cover crime units
Releasing every prisoner he can .
The police turned their back on him at some function or other so he's not their friend and a 250% increase in gun crime should be alarming to you and every logically thinking resident of nyc

Eamonnca1

Bill Stepien, who was ousted over bridgegate (the criminal closure of lanes to punish someone Chris "all-you-can-eat" Christie didn't like), is now in charge of Trump's reelection campaign. If you can call it a campaign. It's just a big criminal enterprise.

Oh boy, Obama barely had enough time in his two terms to repair the damage done by Bush. Fixing the mess Trump has made is going to take a decade or more, and the dead will never be brought back.

Eamonnca1

LAPD officers have been inflating their gang-related numbers by putting innocent people into their gang database. Now the database is useless.

I await the conservative explanation for how this is the fault of the "liburls" with great interest.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on July 16, 2020, 07:09:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2020, 09:51:02 AM
Quote from: Gmac on July 16, 2020, 04:41:09 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
Quote from: Gmac on July 14, 2020, 03:22:39 PM
17 people shot in nyc in one day ,wonder is de blassio worried about this or is he planning another painting project.

Yeah, I'm sure he's out there right now spray painting all the Trump properties in the city (at least those that still have Trump's name on them) and wiring up One Police Plaza for demolition as we speak.

You're a wee bit obsessed with a mayor who lives in and whose power is limited to a city 3000 miles away from you.
not at all just concerned that your mayor is getting  the people he wants to protect killed with his insane policies .

Such as?
disbanding under cover crime units
Releasing every prisoner he can .
The police turned their back on him at some function or other so he's not their friend and a 250% increase in gun crime should be alarming to you and every logically thinking resident of nyc

The NY Post, of all places, criticized De Blasio last week for defending the NYPD's claims that bail reform and prisoner releases amid the COVID outbreak had contributed to the upsurge in crime.
https://nypost.com/2020/07/09/de-blasio-defends-nypds-data-that-debunked-bail-reform-claims/
https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/nypds-own-stats-debunk-claims-about-bail-reform-link-to-shootings/

Crime is increasing all over the place. Its hardly a De Blasio issue.

I don't give a f**k if the police turned their back on him. The criticism they were getting at that time (the Eric Garner murder) was perfectly justified. That two of their members were gunned down by some nut in the aftermath was hardly De Blasio's fault. The NY police unions think that they and their members are completely above criticism and oversight and throw their toys out of the pram, no matter who the mayor is, if they so much as glance in their direction.