Ulster Final: Tyrone v Down 16/07/17 14.00 Clones

Started by omagh_gael, June 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandofgod

Tyrone by a bag full, down are shite. Very few of their players would make the Tyrone squad. Massive gulf in class.

yellowcard

Mickey Harte is a 3 time AI winning manager and is widely considered one of the best managers in gaelic football history. He has claimed the following:

"The mark is there, so it be as it is, but I'm telling you for sure that I have never once mentioned the mark to our players,"

I find it unbelievable that a man as meticulous as Harte has never once mentioned the mark to his players. If he hasn't then it is extremely poor coaching for a Tyrone set up to not tailor their gameplan to utilise the rule. If he has mentioned it then he is flat out lying about it. 

grounded

Just had a quick look at the teams when they met in 2014 in that drawn game in Omagh and on their last outings. The spine of the Tyrone team is pretty much the same as in 2014 albeit with a few more miles on the clock. The Down team on the other hand apart from McKernan, McGinn and Turley are pretty much a new team.

2017 vs Donegal
Tyrone: N Morgan; A McCrory, R McNamee, P Hampsey; T McCann, C McCarron, P Harte; C Cavanagh, C McCann; K McGeary, N Sludden, R Brennan; M Bradley, S Cavanagh, M Donnelly

2014 vs Down
Tyrone team: Niall Morgan; Aidan McCrory, Danny McBride, Barry Tierney; Tiernan McCann, Matthew Donnelly, Peter Harte; Colm Cavanagh, Conor Clarke; Patrick McNeice, Sean Cavanagh, Ciaran McGinley; Darren McCurry, Niall McKenna, Kyle Coney.

2014 vs Tyrone
Down team: Brendan McVeigh; Daniel McCartan, Brendan McArdle, Ryan Boyle; Declan Rooney, Aidan Carr, Conor Garvey; Peter Turley, Ambrose Rogers; Conor Maginn, Mark Poland, Kevin McKernan; Donal O'Hare, Niall Madine, Brendan Coulter.

2017 vs Monaghan
Down team: Michael Cunningham; Niall McParland, Gerard McGovern, Darren O'Hagan; Darragh O'Hanlon, Conaill McGovern, Caolan Mooney; Kevin McKernan, Niall Donnelly; Peter Turley, Conor Maginn, Shay Millar; Jerome Johnston, Connaire Harrison,[/b]Ryan Johnston

Fuzzman

I find it hard to believe that there are still lads who believe every word that he says, same as Jim Gavin.
Do you really think they will discuss openly all their views and tactics?

It doesn't sit well with me how much the Tyrone fans seem to think this will be a walkover. Whilst you would expect a Div 1 team to be too much, Down are one of those teams who don't show any respect for anyone as Kerry have found out several times.
I'd say all the anti Tyrone crew will love reading some of the OTT posts on here.

omagh_gael

Lots of Tyrone boys very confident.

How do Down posters think their midfield will get on? I don't know a whole pile about them. Against Donegal we, surprisingly, wiped them out in the centre of the park. Down have to go well here to put it up to us.

Fuzzman

I think our overall game benefited hugely the last day because we mainly kicked it long. Whether this was due to Donegal pushing up or not I still can't decide.
I would imagine if Down sit back we will kick it short again and work it up the field.
Down will probably be right in our faces from the off and hope to get off to a good start like Roscommon did against Galway.

I'd much rather see a good tough challenge and them aak questiona of us than an easy win all over by HT

Jayop

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 11, 2017, 03:54:49 PM
I think our overall game benefited hugely the last day because we mainly kicked it long. Whether this was due to Donegal pushing up or not I still can't decide.
I would imagine if Down sit back we will kick it short again and work it up the field.
Down will probably be right in our faces from the off and hope to get off to a good start like Roscommon did against Galway.

I'd much rather see a good tough challenge and them aak questiona of us than an easy win all over by HT

We've been kicking it long all year. In the league this change of tactic was pretty obvious so I wasn't surprised to see it in the championship at all, unlike professional pundits like that clown from Derry.

It didn't work in the league particularly well, but the intention was clear rotating Sean and Mattie up there and even playing the two together. I just wonder was Mickey being a wee bit clever in the league holding back so that he could give it the full impact in the championship.

I don't think this will be an easy win at all. Down will fight for every ball and if they can put up a similar performance to that against Monaghan we'll have to be at our very best to beat them. I still think Tyrone will win by a couple but it won't be a whitewash like some seem to think.

southtyronegael

Quote from: yellowcard on July 11, 2017, 02:23:42 PM
Mickey Harte is a 3 time AI winning manager and is widely considered one of the best managers in gaelic football history. He has claimed the following:

"The mark is there, so it be as it is, but I'm telling you for sure that I have never once mentioned the mark to our players,"

I find it unbelievable that a man as meticulous as Harte has never once mentioned the mark to his players. If he hasn't then it is extremely poor coaching for a Tyrone set up to not tailor their gameplan to utilise the rule. If he has mentioned it then he is flat out lying about it.
i would take anything that harte says with a pinch of salt at this stage. if someone puts a microphone in front of him he just goes off on one talking pure shite and making no sense. anything to get himself a bit of publicity.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: southtyronegael on July 11, 2017, 08:33:32 PM

i would take anything that harte says with a pinch of salt at this stage. if someone puts a microphone in front of him he just goes off on one talking pure shite and making no sense. anything to get himself a bit of publicity.

Takes one sh*te talker to know another one I suppose.

omagh_gael

You really are one pathetic aul bollix.

Redhand Santa

Do you still think harte should be sacked and replaced with Mattie mcgleenan?

southtyronegael

Redhand Santa

Quote from: southtyronegael on July 11, 2017, 10:39:43 PM
not fussed who he is replaced with

That's a change from earlier in the year when it was all about McGleenan. But you're right Harte has a poor managerial record, anyone could have won what he did in the game.

southtyronegael

Your right anyone could have delivered what we won in last 6 years. 1 ulster and 6 mc Kenna cups. Yipee. Ah well at least the football was exciting to watch.lol

Taylor

Quote from: southtyronegael on July 12, 2017, 09:34:30 AM
Your right anyone could have delivered what we won in last 6 years. 1 ulster and 6 mc Kenna cups. Yipee. Ah well at least the football was exciting to watch.lol

Yes - and anyone could have delivered the 3 AI's we got during his tenure considering the amount we won prior to MH taking over