Ulster Final: Tyrone v Down 16/07/17 14.00 Clones

Started by omagh_gael, June 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 26, 2017, 03:14:42 PM
Any word on Harrison's injury? He'll be a big miss if he doesn't make it.

How would you guys rate your midfield? I think we'll see lots of ball going long as both sides will push up on the kick outs.

I think you've highlighted Down's two big threats there OG. Harrison caused Wylie all sorts of problems on Saturday and you would imagine Mickey would have taken due note of that.

I think our best performance in years all stemmed from the long kickouts and by-passing of Donegal's defensive system as they pushed up on our kick-outs. I'd be a tad worried about the times when big Colm makes a huge leap and lands on his ass and suddenly the other team are on the attack as he's out of position then to defend the square.
I'd say Down will be really up for this game and will hold no fear of us. It's been a while since we've met. Was 2010 the last time when Tyrone won by 4.

The Armagh lads must be well happy for such a final.

snoopdog

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 26, 2017, 04:27:15 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 26, 2017, 03:14:42 PM
Any word on Harrison's injury? He'll be a big miss if he doesn't make it.

How would you guys rate your midfield? I think we'll see lots of ball going long as both sides will push up on the kick outs.

I think you've highlighted Down's two big threats there OG. Harrison caused Wylie all sorts of problems on Saturday and you would imagine Mickey would have taken due note of that.

I think our best performance in years all stemmed from the long kickouts and by-passing of Donegal's defensive system as they pushed up on our kick-outs. I'd be a tad worried about the times when big Colm makes a huge leap and lands on his ass and suddenly the other team are on the attack as he's out of position then to defend the square.
I'd say Down will be really up for this game and will hold no fear of us. It's been a while since we've met. Was 2010 the last time when Tyrone won by 4.

The Armagh lads must be well happy for such a final.

2014. Draw in Omagh. Tyrone won the replay in Newry.

seafoid

I think Down might shade it. Tyrone have no goal scoring maestro. Down have the race memory.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

Fairly confident tyrone should see this out however recent history has plenty of warnings.  Was it 2008 that down beat tyrone in the marshes after a replay and that was the team that went on to win the all Ireland.  Pushed them to a draw recently as well.  Avoid any complacency and tyrone should win

WT4E

I'd expect Tyrone to win this by close to 10 points.

If they do this would have to be considered one of the easiest won Ulster Titles in recent times?

Estimator

Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2017, 10:47:55 AM
I'd expect Tyrone to win this by close to 10 points.

If they do this would have to be considered one of the easiest won Ulster Titles in recent times?

I'd agree with this.  If Tyrone play the way that they did against Derry and Donegal, then they should rack up a similar score to the previous games. And it will be the easiest of Ulster Titles.

However, what will Tyrone and Mickey Harte have learned from such an easy passage to the Quarter Final.  It's all well and good hammering these teams, and throwing on subs that will knock over 2, 3, or 4 points when the opposition have thrown in the towel.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Fuzzman

Tyrone fans obviously don't do Kerry Cute Hoorism very well on here.

I think most of us know that football has a way of jumping up and biting you on the arse when you least expect it and remember how we almost lost to them in 2003.

Down surprisingly got to an Ulster final that year having lost in the first round the previous 3 years including a defeat to Antrim in 2000. In 2010 they also came from nowhere to get to an AI final having lost to Fermanagh the year before.
As Brolly said they are a sleeping giant who awakes every so often to produce a shock and the last thing we want to be doing is thinking ahead of an AI quarterfinal.

We know we are capable of beating them by 10+ points when things go well for us like the last day against Donegal but we also know there are days when things don't go so well for us and we struggle to get scores. What happens if Down block off that central shooting channel and the long distance shooting is poor because it's a wet or windy day?

Obviously not many of ye learnt much from Monaghan's attitude towards Down and how they were planning more for us in the final.

WT4E

I would say the Monaghan game makes it a less difficult task for Tyrone IMO.

Whilst I'm confident I'm sure Harte and Horse will be drilling it into the boys that they need to be on top of their game to beat Down.

Also Downs cat is out of the bag in regard to Harrison - How many of us feared him before the Monaghan game but now its clear they need to work on tactics on him.

Monaghan had no warning and where caught on the hop by a great gameplan by Down. Tyrone should be wise to this

I could be wrong and I will hold up my hands if Down beat Tyrone but thats how I see it.

Taylor

Totally agree lads. The chasm between the teams is huge. Our only enemy is complacency.

I expect us to be even hotter favourites come game day than the 2/9 we are today.

Fuzz, I understand what you are saying but MH is too long in the tooth to allow us not to be up for the game. Monaghan have been caught napping in a number of games in recent years unlike ourselves

yellowcard

Can't see anything but an easy Tyrone victory. Down are now exposed and I doubt if Tyrone will be physically bullied by Down in the way that Monaghan and Armagh allowed themselves be. Neither side have any real match winners but Tyrone have a lot more fluid athletic players who can kick 2 or 3 points each from half back up. Tyrone to win this with a bit to spare. 

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2017, 12:21:43 PM
Totally agree lads. The chasm between the teams is huge. Our only enemy is complacency.

I expect us to be even hotter favourites come game day than the 2/9 we are today.

Fuzz, I understand what you are saying but MH is too long in the tooth to allow us not to be up for the game. Monaghan have been caught napping in a number of games in recent years unlike ourselves

You can show us your betting slip with an undoubtedly large sum placed on Tyrone then?

clarshack

been following Tyrone since 1984 and in that time we have had a pretty good record against Down.
think it's been something like this:

84 - tyrone win
86 - tyrone win
89 - tyrone win
94 - down win
96 - tyrone win
97 - tyrone win after replay
98 - down win
99 - down win
03 - tyrone win after replay
04 - tyrone win
05 - tyrone win
08 - down win after replay
10 - tyrone win
14 - tyrone win after replay

Tyrone will be red hot favourites but the 2003 final should still serve as a good reminder not to get complacent.

Fuzzman

A draw it is then haha.
That is am impressive record we have against them I agree and am surprised they've not beaten us more though since the 2000s Down have been very poor.

If Down bullied Monaghan and Armagh why don't you think they can do the same to us?
All I'm saying is yes we have looked awesome in the 2 games we've played so far but neither team really stood up to us defensively. I'm just a little worried that if it's a windy or wet day, will our long range shooting be as good as it has been so far. If we have a bad day at the office will we find it harder to get scores?

I think most of us would have been worried enough about beating Monaghan in the final would we not yet we most of ye don't seem in the slightest worried about the team that beat them. Compare how the mood was before the Derry match where expectations were a lot more muted than last year, yet here we are now again probably thinking about a big game against the Dubs in August.

seafoid

I saw this quote a while ago : "It really is dreadful stuff. It's the sort of game you associate with Tyrone but it is up to everyone else to come out and beat them". If Down scored a few goals I presume it would do the job.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

OgraAnDun

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2017, 02:05:07 PM
I saw this quote a while ago : "It really is dreadful stuff. It's the sort of game you associate with Tyrone but it is up to everyone else to come out and beat them". If Down scored a few goals I presume it would do the job.

4 scored so far this year in league and championship so that's probably out of the question.