Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Just fill the bottom tiers including the hill b4 selling any of the upper tiers.
Why have the minor finals been taken off the all Ireland final day card? Dreadful decision

Rossfan

Quote from: snoopdog on July 03, 2022, 10:17:52 AM

Why have the minor finals been taken off the all Ireland final day card? Dreadful decision
I'd say the 27,000 heading for Nowlan Park wouldn't agree with you.
As for yesterday I'd estimate the usual 10,000 Kilkennys and up to 25k from Clare were there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Just fill the bottom tiers including the hill b4 selling any of the upper tiers.

I agree with you 100%. The official line is that players under 17 might be overawed by playing in Croke Park. My own thinking is the GAA don't give a sicín's shite about other competitions apart from senior intercounty and revenue generated from them and the concerts that'll be held later on in the year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 03, 2022, 10:51:32 AM

I agree with you 100%. The official line is that players under 17 might be overawed by playing in Croke Park. My own thinking is the GAA don't give a sicín's shite about other competitions apart from senior intercounty and revenue generated from them and the concerts that'll be held later on in the year.

I actually agree with the official line. Some of these lads are 16, and I'm nearly sure it was discussed on this board a few years ago that it was a bit much for youngsters of that age. Especially if one of them makes a mistake that is costly
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

didlyi

Ask 25000 Offaly supporters would they rather spend over €60 on a ticket for the AI final in Croker and I think you will get you answer.

Rossfan

23,000 of them wouldn't be getting a ticket.

yellowcard

The big problem hurling has is that there are so many championship games and the top teams play each other so often that there is fan fatigue syndrome. Add in the cost of travel and tickets and people are more likely to pick and choose their matches. It will be interesting to see the attendance today, you would expect a bigger crowd than 40k given that it's a Sunday match.

Wildweasel74

Cork v Galway fball semi final 1987, Attendance 20k, Derry v Meath 87 40k, The Gaa went through a 15yr period where they had big attendances late 90's into the end of the 00's., that's actually fell through the floor  yrs ago but because Dublin had the business end ever Yr it hids the No's , take Dublin with a 1.4million population out of it past 10yrs and your back to attendances pre 1995.

marty34

40, 000 approx there yesterday at the hurling semi-final.

I thought with the big push from Clare, they'd have had more there.

Factors - cost of living, diesel and other matches this year.

GAA should have had €5 tickets for kids and clubs etc. They used to do this. Clubs could have taken youth teams for the day and enjoy a semi-final, on the Saturday or Sunday.

They missed a trick here, for whatever reason.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 03, 2022, 12:27:04 PM
Cork v Galway fball semi final 1987, Attendance 20k, Derry v Meath 87 40k, The Gaa went through a 15yr period where they had big attendances late 90's into the end of the 00's., that's actually fell through the floor  yrs ago but because Dublin had the business end ever Yr it hids the No's , take Dublin with a 1.4million population out of it past 10yrs and your back to attendances pre 1995.

Was there not a hurling semi in the 80s that had less than 10k at it?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

A full Nowlan Park is a lovely sight.

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on July 03, 2022, 01:29:37 PM
Agree certainly looks like a terrific atmosphere

marty34

Quote from: full moon on July 03, 2022, 01:55:46 PM
Agree certainly looks like a terrific atmosphere

Certainly looks good alright.

Looks good as a stand alone fixture in a provincial ground.

Gael80

What an occasion and atmosphere! The buzz comes across on the TV. Croke Park is a great stadium and players want to play there, but the game at Nowlan Park shows the benefit of using provincial grounds. Even on All Ireland Final hurling day you wouldn't have got this atmosphere or sense of occasion with only a few thousand from each county lost in CP.

The GAA made the right call.

onefineday

Quote from: marty34 on July 03, 2022, 12:47:42 PM
40, 000 approx there yesterday at the hurling semi-final.

I thought with the big push from Clare, they'd have had more there.

Factors - cost of living, diesel and other matches this year.

GAA should have had €5 tickets for kids and clubs etc. They used to do this. Clubs could have taken youth teams for the day and enjoy a semi-final, on the Saturday or Sunday.

They missed a trick here, for whatever reason.
Juvenile tickets are a tenner, hardly too extortionate.