Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Good wee bus trip home that is. A 12 pack might not be enough.

From the Bunker

looks like the Goose that was laying the Golden Egg - Mayo fans - have got fed up of the Journey

Redhand Santa

I'd say the ones that did go had a good day out. Two exciting games. When compared to other sports who are charging 40/50 euro plus (children tickets lot more than a fiver)  for one game in secondary competitions the value is no where near as bad as made out. Counties play a lot less games too and lot less travelling involved but lot of gaa fans expect everything for nothing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 11, 2022, 07:56:32 PM
I'd say the ones that did go had a good day out. Two exciting games. When compared to other sports who are charging 40/50 euro plus (children tickets lot more than a fiver)  for one game in secondary competitions the value is no where near as bad as made out. Counties play a lot less games too and lot less travelling involved but lot of gaa fans expect everything for nothing.

I'd say the Mayo ones who did go are heading back to their cars now with a long Journey back to Mayo. Looking at being home at 12 midnight!

The GAA sells a story of being ''of the people''. And this is true if you are from the Capital. But today's fixture(s) and prices had nothing to do with consideration for the common fan from the west of Ireland.

galwayman

What was the official attendance today?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2022, 08:07:06 PM

I'd say the Mayo ones who did go are heading back to their cars now with a long Journey back to Mayo. Looking at being home at 12 midnight!

The GAA sells a story of being ''of the people''. And this is true if you are from the Capital. But today's fixture(s) and prices had nothing to do with consideration for the common fan from the west of Ireland.

I'm still sure it was an enjoyable day out for most. County fans have little travelling to do compared to other sports. And there'd be a lot of mayo people about Dublin glad of the odd game there. I do think today should have been somewhere handier but it wasn't the end of the world.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 11, 2022, 08:36:19 PM

I'm still sure it was an enjoyable day out for most. County fans have little travelling to do compared to other sports. And there'd be a lot of mayo people about Dublin glad of the odd game there. I do think today should have been somewhere handier but it wasn't the end of the world.

True, I would say the Sky Sports fee more than made up for the loss in ticket sales.

Redhand Santa

They'd have got the sky fee no matter where the game was played

From the Bunker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 11, 2022, 08:54:16 PM
They'd have got the sky fee no matter where the game was played

Yeah, but the contract with Sky means today's games could not be played anywhere else but Croke Park.

jonathanh

Rather than start a new topic I figured it was easier to ask in here.
Do the quarter finals at Croke Park 25/26 June go on general sale?
Or are they only for county boards/club members?

full moon

Quote from: jonathanh on June 11, 2022, 09:05:27 PM
Rather than start a new topic I figured it was easier to ask in here.
Do the quarter finals at Croke Park 25/26 June go on general sale?
Or are they only for county boards/club members?

Assume they will be general sale at some point as I doubt any will sell out even as double headers.

Keep a check on Ticketmaster they'll go up there some stage.

full moon

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 11, 2022, 09:09:25 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 10, 2022, 08:34:24 PM
Price of fuel and 25 euro a ticket it's no real surprise neutrals don't go as much qnymore. 25 euro is way too much to pay. The GAA are pricing people out. Sit at home for free and watch on TV or go to clones. Its a no brainer unfortunately.

€25 for two senior games isn't too bad, I doubt the crowd in Croke Park would have been significantly higher had they cut €5 or even €10 off admission - the current rising costs of fuel/living expenses along with the distance to travel would have been more significant factors IMO.

FWIW The minor football double-header in Portlaoise today was €15.
Lack of hotels and accommodation in Dublin is always causing decline in crowds in Croke Park.
Even the Mayo team couldn't get a hotel in Dublin! They're travelling back tonight usually would stay over.

GAA know this and still score own goals like today. The atmosphere and empty seats spoiled the occasion to a degree compared if it was in a provincial ground.

Rossfan

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 11, 2022, 09:09:25 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 10, 2022, 08:34:24 PM
Price of fuel and 25 euro a ticket it's no real surprise neutrals don't go as much qnymore. 25 euro is way too much to pay. The GAA are pricing people out. Sit at home for free and watch on TV or go to clones. Its a no brainer unfortunately.

€25 for two senior games isn't too bad, I doubt the crowd in Croke Park would have been significantly higher had they cut €5 or even €10 off admission - the current rising costs of fuel/living expenses along with the distance to travel would have been more significant factors IMO.

FWIW The minor football double-header in Portlaoise today was €15.
Was €30 today in Croker.
Didn't see any attendance announced.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

onefineday

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 11, 2022, 08:36:19 PM

Croke park with that amount of empty seats totally ruins atmosphere and detracts from the spectacle and enjoyment. Should have been in 2 provincial grounds, mayo v Kildare in tullamore and the other in salthill, though attendance would still have been poor for that as Clare fans don't follow football regardless.

Captain Scarlet

I see online that Sky were at pains to say they did not have input in the venue. Like whatever about everything else bringing fans from the West to Dublin on a night when you have a match in the Aviva and a Dermot Kennedy concert all the while hotels are screwing people and the price of fuel is through the roof is very poor.

Like Kildare fans are next door and the bandwagon is fully gone. Mayo fans would travel if it was elsewhere. Kildare v Mayo minors today in Tullamore was an ideal excuse to pack it for a double header.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.