2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Disgusting stuff. A lad in serious condition in hospital over that.

High Fielder

Quote from: Tony on April 03, 2018, 05:51:53 PM
Disgusting stuff. A lad in serious condition in hospital over that.

Life changing stuff for both parties involved. At a time like this, it annoys me that a lad can't own his actions. Big fella in front of his mates, probably fuelled up by God knows what, and now he hides like a coward. It isn't what's important here, but I agree Tony, Dicey didn't rob him or anything serious. He plays for Laois. I hope this lad is caught and punished and that first and foremost, Dicey recovers. A sickener.

OTF

Tony

Quote from: High Fielder on April 03, 2018, 06:41:56 PM
Life changing stuff for both parties involved. At a time like this, it annoys me that a lad can't own his actions. Big fella in front of his mates, probably fuelled up by God knows what, and now he hides like a coward. It isn't what's important here, but I agree Tony, Dicey didn't rob him or anything serious. He plays for Laois. I hope this lad is caught and punished and that first and foremost, Dicey recovers. A sickener.
Well said. Let's hope he makes a full recovery. Sport is put into perspective when one of the lad's health and livelihood is put on the line like that. All of our thoughts and prayers must go to Danny at this time. And to the f**ker who causes it, justice will come, too.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Hope the news is better for young O'Reilly this morning

Just to lighten the mood a little here is my thoughts on Saturday and my ratings

Again its only an opinion and I have nothing but respect for these lads who have done everything that has been asked of them this year.

Laois 0-15 Carlow 0-11

Brody 9 -Got the TNaG man of the match and was certainly in the running one or two stray kickouts buts Carlow had learned from last Sunday and pushed up men with Lillis and O'Loughlin not fielding too well that made it hard.He made one crucial stop and was solid under the high ball he started a lot of attacks for Laois.

Attride 8-Another fine performance form the Laois captain he is one of our best tacklers and kept his man quiet did have one lapse with a pass but solid and gives 110% to the jersey every time.

Timmons 8.5-He must have been close to the man of the match and over the two games he has come back he has probably been Laois's best overall player against Carlow.His block was superb to stop Murphy and his all around composure etc just brings such a calmness to the full back line.

Dillon 9-His best game in a Laois shirt maybe in any shirt he was superb throughout and his tackling was well timed he supported well and just did the simple things  with the ball when going forward.Delighted for him because he works so hard.

Collins 6.5-A little bit loose with his man scoring three points from play he has pace but I'm not sure the half back role suits him.He is a willing worker and does a lot of running off the ball that would go unnoticed to the normal eye.

Begley 7.5-Solid held the position well but was rolled in the tackle a few times which didn't happen in Carlow that saying both Murphys are hard to stop when they run at you.Was composed as always on the ball and has made this position his own.

Pigott 7.5-Did a great job on Brendan Murphy which the big Carlow man didn't like he is a tenacious defender who is not afraid to mix it.Needs to improve his attacking and passing going forward to allow Laois good possession in the half forward line.

O'Loughlin 8-I thought he was just okay after being at the match but watching it back on Tv he had a fine game and got through some mighty work.Not his best day fielding kickout's by any means but not as easy to get free without big fielders like Meaney and Quigley beside you.

Lillis 7.5-Kicked a lovely score but not as effective as in Dr Cullen park and was beaten on a few kickouts from both keepers.Very composed on the ball though he did give away one silly possession in the first half it came back to him and he kicked a wonderful point.Good solid player who won't let you down.

Farrell 7.5 Got through a lot of work and covered more ground in Croker than anyone Saturday scored a terrific point before the break and stopped the Carlow left half back getting into the game .Seems to know his role and must be a managers dream.

Carroll 7-Composed on the ball and did nothing wrong in possession in the first half was beaten for a few balls he might have got to but did well on his first outing on the hallow sod of Croker , his emergence in the team has certainly given Sugure options .He will only get better. Defo has talent.

Glynn 7-Steady as she goes as we say in Laois he does a job for the team and was controlled on the ball.Offers another option in terms of bulk and size which the team lacks in the forwards.Needs to add a bit more going forward and making runs off the shoulder to support the lads coming forward.

Munnelly 9-Another man in line for man of the match him and Dillion were certainly Laois's best players in the first half and altough the legs gave way a little in the second half he was still making great runs.He rolled back the years and what an example he is to any young players for Laois.

Lowry 7.5 -Lost a lot of possession in the first half but was always showing for the ball once he found his feet with that super free from distance he was a different player scored two fine points including the score of the second half to secure Laois's victory can be proud of his efforts.

Kingston 8.5-Three super points from play in the first half one with the outside of the boot from distance was made to look easy but does that surprise ya?Always steps up on the big days and I'd say he is glad to be back.Can only get better for Laois in the season going forward.

O'Reilly 6.5-Not much happened for the Graigue man and his looked nervous when he first came in it didn't stop him from trying and made one great run late on in the game his pace added to Laois closing out the game with Carlow tiring he had a very good league campaign.

Strong 7- composed on the ball probably should have had a least one point which is unlike him as in them positions he can usually pop a ball over the lat.He looks hungry which can only be a good thing for the panel going forward.

Conway6.5-Was busy when he came in making a few great runs and certainly upsetting the carlow back line .good option to have going forward.

unfair to mark Donoher  J Farrell and Crowley as they were on a bit late to get in to proceedings but they added to Laois getting over the line.

Thats my out look on the game it was all set up for Laois to loose and Carlow had nothing to loose as such.

With what went on in the media not helping preparations it certainly was a professional performance if you can say that in a game where these lads give their time for free to play for their county.

I heard there was a buzz back in a certain Portlaoise pub on Saturday night that is good to hear with all the lads there together.

There will be people who run it down as we tend to do in this county but it is what it is promotion with a bit of style and a fine performance in Croke park to take the team forward.It was great to see so many youngsters there with flags experiencing what its like to win with your county!

I think Sugure has something about him and certainly the players seem to buy into him.

With Paul Kingston Gary Walsh(congrats on being the top scorer in the country) Evan O'Carroll to come back it open up options for him in the forward line.

I'm not so sure with Cahillane and Quigley at the moment but Booth is there to come into the back line and there is other lads who are hungry to get a piece of the pie.

The future looks bright for the team this year anyway.

All thoughts go to young O'Reilly now I hope he makes a full recovery and it puts all this into perspective when something like this happens.

LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great review Unlaoished, hard to disagree with any of that.

Brody is a great keeper and we're lucky to have him but he really will have to have more options on the kickout. Not sure if that's down to him or the instructions he's getting but a better team would have put us in a lot of trouble during that 5 minute spell near the end when Carlow won every kickout that he was sending down the middle.

Surely common sense would kick in at some stage and you would try to find someone closer to you or out on the wings to kick it to I'm not laying the blame totally on him as he did go short a few times and we almost got caught in possession. It's definitely one area we will have to work on as a better team could wipe you out in those few minutes.

Two people have now been arrested in the Danny O'Reilly case so hopefully someone will pay for that despicable act soon. God be with you Danny and hope you recover soon.

Giovanni

Does anyone know if he's out of danger yet? Apparently the first 72 hours are critical in a case like this.

Fingers crossed that he'll come out on the right side of it without any lasting damage. 

Unison

Quote from: Giovanni on April 04, 2018, 05:50:30 PM

Fingers crossed that he'll come out on the right side of it without any lasting damage.

With the help of God we'll see him back in the Green and Red and the Blue and White soon!

Unison

I have to say I agree with Ciaran Whelan here......

http://www.hoganstand.com/Carlow/Article/Index/283409

Look how competitive and enjoyable the league is in comparison to the outdated provincial system.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Giovanni on April 04, 2018, 05:50:30 PM
Does anyone know if he's out of danger yet? Apparently the first 72 hours are critical in a case like this.

Just saw this on Facebook.

He came out of the coma last night for a while and spoke to his family..
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hopefully-it-will-be-onwards-and-upwards-gaa-player-injured-in-serious-assault-wakes-up-from-coma-36773269.html

BREAKING: Two men charged following assault of Laois footballer. They will appear before Carlow District Court at 10.30am tomorrow morning the 5th April 2018
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/04/04/breaking-two-men-charged-following-assault-of-laois-footballer/

Giovanni

Thanks for the update Junior. Good to get some good news on this.

redsetanta

The two boyo's who carried out the assault have been named.

The youngest one looks like he's into kickboxing or MMA from his facebook page. Very easy to use that on the street when you're trained in it every week.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tony

They both look like pure scumbags. I hope they're given a good sentence by the courts - they could easily have killed him. Really hoping Danny makes a 100% recovery.