2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

Quote from: OTF on January 19, 2018, 09:55:24 AM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on January 19, 2018, 08:57:01 AM
For me the inter county scene is pretty much dead and buried for teams outside the top 8 under the current structure.

No excitement, no buzz anymore and we have players expected to devote their lives to this and all they get is failure and endless abuse. Anyone that commits fully to the regime and represents Laois is a credit to the county.

But the answer to the problem is there in front of us.

Senior
Intermediate
Junior

10 teams in each grade or thereabouts, each county can have one team only.

But will our pride allow it........doubt it.

Its getting to that point alright, but the Tommy Murphy cup was basically an intermediate championship but counties did not want it. They all at least want some kind of crack at Sam no matter how unrealistic. There really needs to be some kind of seeding introduced, run league and provisional championships off separately for example and work out the seedings based on results of these (so both competitions are not dead rubber, there is seeding to play for as well as silverware). Bottom half counties go into a knockout comp say 'Tommy Murphy' cup of some such name, top half play for Sam but winners of Tommy get added before qf stage. That way technically everyone has a crack at Sam. Might be nightmare fixture wise but you get the overall gist. Would have lots of good games and all games have something on the line.

High Fielder

I think long term the GAA have two workable choices. They could go professional and create 8 to 10 franchises and let the rest play on as we do now in an amateur sport. Obviously those who are playing professional can't play in the amateur competitions. It would be very much along the lines of American Football with the amateur codes being used as a draft if wanted. I honestly believe there is no future for the GAA unless it introduces pay for play, and while counties like ours would never be able to do this, it would at least be something to aspire to for good up and coming youngsters in any county. Let's be honest, Dublin are at the level of a franchise (or not far off anyway) already.

Another way could be to scrap the Provincial Championships and have an FA Cup style All Ireland with more emphasis put on the league

Or, we could just keep plodding along and have pundits telling Leitrim Laois and Carlow you get out what you put in, You too can be as good as Dublin if you just train hard enough....

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

OTF

Quote from: Joeythelips on January 22, 2018, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: OTF on January 19, 2018, 09:55:24 AM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on January 19, 2018, 08:57:01 AM
For me the inter county scene is pretty much dead and buried for teams outside the top 8 under the current structure.

No excitement, no buzz anymore and we have players expected to devote their lives to this and all they get is failure and endless abuse. Anyone that commits fully to the regime and represents Laois is a credit to the county.

But the answer to the problem is there in front of us.

Senior
Intermediate
Junior

10 teams in each grade or thereabouts, each county can have one team only.

But will our pride allow it........doubt it.

Its getting to that point alright, but the Tommy Murphy cup was basically an intermediate championship but counties did not want it. They all at least want some kind of crack at Sam no matter how unrealistic. There really needs to be some kind of seeding introduced, run league and provisional championships off separately for example and work out the seedings based on results of these (so both competitions are not dead rubber, there is seeding to play for as well as silverware). Bottom half counties go into a knockout comp say 'Tommy Murphy' cup of some such name, top half play for Sam but winners of Tommy get added before qf stage. That way technically everyone has a crack at Sam. Might be nightmare fixture wise but you get the overall gist. Would have lots of good games and all games have something on the line.

Each county wants to have a crack at  Sam ..... that the part I don't get and I agree with you that's what  they want in football not so in hurling. if you relate that to county championship junior clubs don't expect or demand a crack at the senior championship. I'd say junior clubs are quite happy to play and compete at or near their own level.
Lets be honest the football league starting this w/e is a much more interesting competition because we are playing at our own level.

Is it eleven years since we won 2 games in the championship  ?? and that's when we had a good team.

A crack at Sam !!!  for the birds.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Good to see so many from portlaoise but I think a few of them might struggle for game time!

Suprised at young Kelly and Moore thought these two have what it takes especially when the weather gets a bit better!

LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 23, 2018, 03:45:12 PM
Suprised at young Kelly and Moore thought these two have what it takes especially when the weather gets a bit better!
They haven't been taken out and shot or anything. Both will benefit far more following a program and playing a few games, rather than getting splinters up their holes sitting on benches in shitholes like Carrick and Aughrim.

Truth be told, thats quite a weak panel. Sugrue will have a job on his hands, but we all knew that. If they commit to him, he'll knock a tune out of them. Sacrifice of the individual for the collective. I think he has a group there that will do that. Patience from the few supporters we have left is whats called for now.

Laoisguy

Disappointed for some of the guys hope they take opportunities that will arise over the coming months
Thrilled for Danny o Reilly ,Benny,Dowling,Donogher and Fennel,Piggott too like his attitude.... lets hope they are given further chances to shine

Bamford1995

It's probably the best panel that we could have hoped for. Every player in the county that was interested was sent forward and culled at the later stages. I heard from a good source that the players are very happy with John Sugrue and that the morale is high. Fitness will definitely not be an issue for us this year. On another none Eoin Lowry hit 1-7 for UCD against Maynooth, could be a potential starter for the league

Butch Cassidy

Tony

It's a good panel. The only main loss that I can see is Cahir Healy, who I really hoped would be on the panel this year. But having said that I know he's had a fair few injuries and is still currently injured I believe, and he's away most of the time. Hopefully the likes of Holland, Glynn and Dillon can make the transition from club player / squad member to starting player as I really think they have a lot to offer with an inter county programme behind them. Dillon in particular hasn't been a regular with Laois but with his pace and experience, I'd like to see him in the starting 15. Without injuries, my pick would be something like this:

Brody,

Holland, Timmons, Attride,

Glynn, Begley, Dillon,

JOL, Quigley,

P Kingston, E O' Carroll, Donoher,

Walsh, D Kingston, Eoin Lowry.

Near starters: Farrell, O Connor, Booth, Strong, Cahilane, Buggie, Shiel.

Don Draper

BallyroanAbu

Not often I agree with you, but so far so good.  Donie back is huge but on Sugrue's terms is quite a feat.  Moore hopefully will make the breakthrough at some point. 

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 24, 2018, 10:27:25 AM
Not often I agree with you, but so far so good.  Donie back is huge but on Sugrue's terms is quite a feat.  Moore hopefully will make the breakthrough at some point.
For once we appear to be managing a young talent properly. Instead of Donie Brennan being sent out to stand beside Francie Bellew for 70 minutes back in the day.

redsetanta

And no one can query whay he isn't involved because Sugrue has communicated in the correct manner. Far better that the chap knows where he stands as opposed to sitting and waiting/hoping.

All anyone wants is honesty and effort. Refreshing after some of the bluff and bluster we've had. The next thing is to have us playing like the galactico's
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi