Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on November 28, 2017, 09:15:20 AM
Quote from: thebar on November 28, 2017, 08:35:33 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 28, 2017, 03:59:57 AM
Go back to sleep.

Darts is a far more entertaining sport than golf and they require similar levels of fitness.

man in the know there!

Yeah put the top 10 golfers in the world against the top 10 darts players in any kind of fitness test and see how you go . . .

What an absolutely stupid comment even for you Syf!!

Apologies in the form of emojiis only, thanks.

There's an awful lot of little man syndrome on this forum, get nasty in lieu of saying any of substance.

Declan

QuoteSounds like a grumpy aul fcuker if you ask me.
The Journo not Declan...

Thanks LL ;)

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on November 28, 2017, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 28, 2017, 09:15:20 AM
Quote from: thebar on November 28, 2017, 08:35:33 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 28, 2017, 03:59:57 AM
Go back to sleep.

Darts is a far more entertaining sport than golf and they require similar levels of fitness.

man in the know there!

Yeah put the top 10 golfers in the world against the top 10 darts players in any kind of fitness test and see how you go . . .

What an absolutely stupid comment even for you Syf!!

There's an awful lot of little man syndrome on this forum, get nasty in lieu of saying any of substance.

Montgomery outside the top 1500 in the world is a really valid one to use alright............

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Syferus on November 28, 2017, 03:39:16 PM

Neither of those are in the Top 10 of the World - but then again you knew that

Therealdonald

Right we'll compare the greatest golfer of the last 20 years (Tiger Woods) with the greatest darts player (Phil Taylor)....need I go on?? Anyone who says golf isn't a sport is only saying so because they were no good at it.

Franko

Far be it for me to side with Connacht's idiot in chief but for anyone to say darts or snooker aren't sports is just ridiculous.

Unless your definition of a sport is something which requires athletic fitness.  In which case, I'm sorry, but golf is gone too.

bamboo

what is a 'sport' though?

Genuinely interested in a few lads opinions on here. For the record I think all activities mentioned so far are sports.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 28, 2017, 03:00:27 PM
Great and truthful article there Declan!

I stopped reading about two paragraphs in. I see no reason to listen to such a miserable old git who can't see the joy in anything.

Franko

Quote from: bamboo on November 28, 2017, 06:16:28 PM
what is a 'sport' though?

Genuinely interested in a few lads opinions on here. For the record I think all activities mentioned so far are sports.

IMO, anything which involves the performance of a physical activity in a competitive environment.  People always counter with the inevitable 'if darts is a sport, so is chess/poker' which is horse manure.  Any game where a proxy could perform the physical task for you and not violate the rules of the game is out.  An online game of chess or poker is every bit as valid as one where the opponents are in the same room.  The same isn't true of snooker.

Incidentally, this also means that competitive dancing is a sport, which I have no issue with.  After all, competitive dancing on an ice rink is one of the flagship events in the Winter Olympics.

Syferus

You'd want to tell the International Olympic Committee Chess isn't a sport.

Sports are just games with a different label, and most games can be sports. E-sports is the fastest growing segment in sports for Christsakes.

This is the same well of silliness that produces endless 'is X art?' arguments. Spend your time in life thinking something more gratifying and worthwhile than semantics.

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on November 28, 2017, 06:42:47 PM
You'd want to tell the International Olympic Committee Chess isn't a sport.

Sports are just games with a different label, and most games can be sports. E-sports is the fastest growing segment in sports for Christsakes.

This is the same well of silliness that produces endless 'is X art?' arguments. Spend your time in life thinking something more gratifying and worthwhile than semantics.

See my original comment on this thread.

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Orchard park

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 29, 2017, 02:22:33 PM
McGregors KO of Aldo.

thought you were going to say his attempted KO in the Black Forge Sunday night........

ashman

McGregors KO of Aldo.

That will have to wait until we are assessing Ireland's best scriptwriters .

Syferus

Quote from: ashman on November 29, 2017, 02:47:34 PM
McGregors KO of Aldo.

That will have to wait until we are assessing Ireland's best scriptwriters .

I don't think that quip was as good in reality as it must have sounded in your head.