Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: shark on November 17, 2023, 02:57:15 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 17, 2023, 02:44:36 PMSo Everton docked points for  having  financial losses.  Would it not be fairer if the PL  put a limit  on  what clubs are allowed to spend instead?

I suppose there's  ways around that too.

Ah feck it,  football is a farce . I blame Jimmy Hill

The whole point of FFP was to keep the same teams at the top perpetually. Giving the same spending limit to all teams wouldn't achieve that goal.

Salary Caps like the AFL/NFL have are the only way to keep it competitive. 12 different Superbowl winners and 10 different AFL premiership winners in ;ast 25 years. However, the difference in these sports is that there is no alternative market, they are both country specific. For it to work in soccer it would need a collective agreement among the top 10 leagues at least and turkeys dont vote for Christmas....

Armagh18

Quote from: TabClear on November 17, 2023, 03:06:07 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 17, 2023, 02:44:36 PMSo Everton docked points for  having  financial losses.  Would it not be fairer if the PL  put a limit  on  what clubs are allowed to spend instead?

The whole point of FFP was to keep the same teams at the top perpetually. Giving the same spending limit to all teams wouldn't achieve that goal.

Salary Caps like the AFL/NFL have are the only way to keep it competitive. 12 different Superbowl winners and 10 different AFL premiership winners in ;ast 25 years. However, the difference in these sports is that there is no alternative market, they are both country specific. For it to work in soccer it would need a collective agreement among the top 10 leagues at least and turkeys dont vote for Christmas....
I'm sure they'd work payments another way.

J70

Quote from: TabClear on November 17, 2023, 03:06:07 PM

The likes of the NFL and NBA have draft systems too. The worst teams get the best picks of the following year's crop of incoming youngsters. And in each case, one or two brilliant/lucky picks can totally transform your team (and vice versa!). The NBA because you can only field five players at a time, the NFL due to the relatively outsized influence certain positions can have on a team's fortunes.

seafoid

Everton need to stay calm and grind out results. They need to turn adversity into motivation. The bottom 4 are shite and it us November. In other seasons 4 points would have seen them cut adrift of everyone . It could be a lot worse.v

johnnycool

Quote from: J70 on November 17, 2023, 01:01:36 PMI may be reading it wrong but it looks like Everton exceeded the 105m limit over the three years by about 20m.

If so, a single (average) player deal could have been the difference.

They bought some overpriced dross and on big wages thanks to Moshiri and his superagent friend...

A few weeks back I'd have said Everton were doomed with that sort of points reduction but they've shown a bit of form and the three promoted teams haven't shown anything. Even with the 10 points deduction they're above Burnley and only another 2 points would get them out of the relegation zone.

They'll appeal on the grounds that the severity of the punishment is based on Everton not co-operating with the investigation and Everton PLC are adamant that they did.
I'd expect to see the 10 points reduced.

Chelsea and City are relegated though, mark my words... ;)

clonian

Quote from: johnnycool on November 17, 2023, 03:47:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 17, 2023, 01:01:36 PMI may be reading it wrong but it looks like Everton exceeded the 105m limit over the three years by about 20m.

If so, a single (average) player deal could have been the difference.

They bought some overpriced dross and on big wages thanks to Moshiri and his superagent friend...

A few weeks back I'd have said Everton were doomed with that sort of points reduction but they've shown a bit of form and the three promoted teams haven't shown anything. Even with the 10 points deduction they're above Burnley and only another 2 points would get them out of the relegation zone.

They'll appeal on the grounds that the severity of the punishment is based on Everton not co-operating with the investigation and Everton PLC are adamant that they did.
I'd expect to see the 10 points reduced.

Chelsea and City are relegated though, mark my words... ;)

Somebody just said on twitter that if city get the same 10 point punishment per charge they'll wipe all their points gained out to half way through 2010....

Captain Obvious

Manchester City lawyers must be laughing at this Everton punishment.

manfromdelmonte

Everton screwed by the Russians and their invasion

Money tap from Usmanov turned off

Man City and Chelsea must have much better lawyers. Surely this points deduction will be appealed

J70

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 17, 2023, 04:06:51 PMEverton screwed by the Russians and their invasion

Man City and Chelsea must have much better lawyers. Surely this points deduction will be appealed

Their statement says they're appealing.

It also says they're watching other profitability and losses cases with great interest!

johnnycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 17, 2023, 04:06:51 PMEverton screwed by the Russians and their invasion

Did Usmanov put one brass farthing of his own into Everton or did he just use his wealth to leverage more debt against the club?

Caesar

Yes Everton were over the acceptable PSR limit by less than £19m, but a 10 point deduction is extremely harsh on the club. Stadium construction costs and the financial sanctions against Everton's Russian owners will also have had an impact on them.

For context, Portsmouth were only deducted 9 points after literally going bust in the middle of the season.

Meanwhile Chelsea and City make a total mockery of all financial fairplay rules without sanction.

gawa316

But you could also argue they stayed up by the skin of their teeth the past couple of seasons because of their cheating, so maybe it was some of the other relegated teams that got screwed?

manfromdelmonte

Don't forget they were paying the wages of icelandic international Gylfi Sigurdsson.
Signed him for €40 million.
Couldn't play the player, couldn't cancel his contract, couldn't sell him.
Not one bit of mitigation for this
Nor construction inflation costs on the stadium

And yes, Usmanov was sponsoring the training ground through his companies, would probably have supplied all the steel for the stadium and in all likelihood have bought naming rights for the new stadium

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: gawa316 on November 17, 2023, 04:47:05 PM

But you could also argue they stayed up by the skin of their teeth the past couple of seasons because of their cheating, so maybe it was some of the other relegated teams that got screwed?

Talk that Leicester Leeds etc will sue

And you can rest assured the teams that finished second to City and Chelsea will be at similar

More stuff coming out about Abramovich today also.

Messy

RedHand88

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 17, 2023, 04:50:47 PMDon't forget they were paying the wages of icelandic international Gylfi Sigurdsson.
Signed him for €40 million.
Couldn't play the player, couldn't cancel his contract, couldn't sell him.
Not one bit of mitigation for this
Nor construction inflation costs on the stadium

And yes, Usmanov was sponsoring the training ground through his companies, would probably have supplied all the steel for the stadium and in all likelihood have bought naming rights for the new stadium

I don't see why this would matter?