Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackandblue2

Great results last night. Promising times ahead with that group of players.  Well done to all involved.

terrifictommy

Scoring 0-08 should get you an invitation to the senior set up, seen him a number of times last year and is always a threat.

ardtole

The wing forward Jamie Doran from Ballyholland looks a classy player. He scored a few cracking points v Monaghan in the semi final. I was suprised he didn't start the game last night.

ck

Quote from: ardtole on April 27, 2023, 05:37:53 PM
The wing forward Jamie Doran from Ballyholland looks a classy player. He scored a few cracking points v Monaghan in the semi final. I was suprised he didn't start the game last night.

He's a first teamer for Glenavon so can't fully commit hence he doesn't start.

ardtole

Quote from: ck on April 28, 2023, 12:00:18 AM
Quote from: ardtole on April 27, 2023, 05:37:53 PM

He's a first teamer for Glenavon so can't fully commit hence he doesn't start.

I didn't know that, thanks. He does look to have real genuine quality. 

Johnnysboys

My god it's going to be a long season.....

thewobbler

Strange occasion in Newry tonight. First meeting of old rivals in 12-13 years and it was all very subdued. There's been a 2 division gap in the teams for the best part of a decade and most of the players had never encountered each other before at adult levels, so there's little or no animosity like the old days. It just kind of petered out. Just all subdued. God I miss the old days, even if it meant those bastards had the upper hand most of the time!

Mourne Red

Quote from: Johnnysboys on April 10, 2023, 11:59:19 AM

Why poor Fermangh?. Down don't look up to much. I'm struggling to think of the last time Down won a championship game at minor level.

Poor Fermanagh as if they were in other group they wud def be in quarter final. Down will beat them at least. Might not do so well against the other two tho. Down should be a whole lot better - we have some big physical players mixed with some very talented nippy ones. The dream team management not getting results doesn't surprise me as tactically they have been caught a few times.

LOL.. Beaten by Fermanagh too

SHEEDY

Another bad day for the minors, lost every game in the group.
nil satis nisi optimum

sdg

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 29, 2023, 02:50:00 PM
Another bad day for the minors, lost every game in the group.

Embrassed in all 4 games,  4

downtothecore

The management of the underage teams is so important. Thankfully we have got it right at u20s this last few years and hopefully this will continue.

wobbller

Benny,great player but not a Coach.Donal O'Hare and Darren O'Hagan the same.Jobs for the boys.Terrible

snoopdog

Johnnysboys

Poor Fermanagh as if they were in other group they wud def be in quarter final. Down will beat them at least. Might not do so well against the other two tho. Down should be a whole lot better - we have some big physical players mixed with some very talented nippy ones. The dream team management not getting results doesn't surprise me as tactically they have been caught a few times.

LOL.. Beaten by Fermanagh too
[/quote]

I got this one badly wrong.. my god we need changes to our underage development squads and more accountability in what they are doing. We can't keep this up.

Cuan12

Did someone suggest the current minor management stays on next year, don't think so . It's time for a change , good players don't necessarily  make good coaches/ managers. We seem to lurch from crisis to crisis at juvenile level, why did we get rid of the mourne academy and the east down and south down set up at u 14 level.
Bottom line is we need to look at the county coaches, the connection with the schools and how we get back to competing at minor level.