clubmayo

Started by muppet, February 08, 2012, 10:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 09, 2012, 10:23:36 PM
The right decision but it is being handled very badly.

You have the floor, why is it the right decision?
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2012, 10:31:38 PM

I am of the opinion that while Club Mayo do good work, particularly with regard to looking after the players, that there was always something exclusive about their fundraising efforts and their assertion all monies raised should go to senior team prep only. Why should one club be allowed to pick where there money goes and all the clubs in Mayo should be left with the McHale Park burden? As far as I see it all monies raised should go into a central fund and worked out from there.

But, like I said, this should have been handled better and not ended up in the unseemly stand-off we now have.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 09, 2012, 10:53:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2012, 10:31:38 PM

I am of the opinion that while Club Mayo do good work, particularly with regard to looking after the players, that there was always something exclusive about their fundraising efforts and their assertion all monies raised should go to senior team prep only. Why should one club be allowed to pick where there money goes and all the clubs in Mayo should be left with the McHale Park burden? As far as I see it all monies raised should go into a central fund and worked out from there.

But, like I said, this should have been handled better and not ended up in the unseemly stand-off we now have.

This may astonish you but there are people in Dublin who are willing to donate significant amounts of money on the basis that it goes to players and not County Board debt. Monies procured by clubmayo was on that basis. By demanding that clubmayo ceases to exist AND that they hand over all their money, I believe Mayo Gaa is in for an interesting season with the wigs.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

So leave the burden of the debt to the clubs in Mayo? How, tell me, is that fair? And, no, your comment doesn't astonish me but thanks for the condescending post all the same ...

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 09, 2012, 11:09:36 PM
So leave the burden of the debt to the clubs in Mayo? How, tell me, is that fair? And, no, your comment doesn't astonish me but thanks for the condescending post all the same ...

Please explain how closing clubmayo and guillotining the money they raised, somehow reduces the debt burden of the clubs?
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

I'd be looking at the principle of the thing. But there's also the fact that Club Mayo haven't tapped into any sort of sizeable Dublin funds - something alluded to by a member on mayogaablog.com. I would hope more funds can be raised now in Dublin from central fundraising. If I'm wrong I'll gladly stand corrected.

westmayo

Does Club Mayo Dublin only give funding to issues around the perp of the senior inter county football team? I always assumed they were fundraising on Mayo GAA's behalf, well that's what it looked like to me from here. Do they give similar funding to other teams, u21 football, minor football, junior footballers,  Senior hurlers (who play close enough to as many games as the senior footballers do in a year). If they do fair play and good job.  Because if they don't give it out to all, they are not doing fundraising on behalf of Mayo GAA just one single part of Mayo GAA.

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 09, 2012, 11:25:41 PM
I'd be looking at the principle of the thing. But " - something alluded to by a member on mayogaablog.com. I would hope more funds can be raised now in Dublin from central fundraising. If I'm wrong I'll gladly stand corrected.

a) what particular principle would you be looking at?
b) "there's also the fact that Club Mayo haven't tapped into any sort of sizeable Dublin funds". Please expand on this....'fact'. A few figures would be helpful.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: westmayo on February 09, 2012, 11:31:56 PM
Does Club Mayo Dublin only give funding to issues around the perp of the senior inter county football team? I always assumed they were fundraising on Mayo GAA's behalf, well that's what it looked like to me from here. Do they give similar funding to other teams, u21 football, minor football, junior footballers,  Senior hurlers (who play close enough to as many games as the senior footballers do in a year). If they do fair play and good job.  Because if they don't give it out to all, they are not doing fundraising on behalf of Mayo GAA just one single part of Mayo GAA.

You have hit the nail on the head, albeit accidentally.

MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Principle - the one I refer to is what I've mentioned repeatedly - Club Mayo's belief they can selectively choose who they fundraise for. Mayo GAA is made of many parts and I think it is wrong that one group is allowed cherry pick where their fundraising goes. It smacks of 'ah sure let the bucks in the Mayo clubs take care of the shite'.

Re figures, you seem to have a closer insight to Club Mayo than I so you can tell me if the €15k raised last year is representative of other years?

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 10, 2012, 12:11:23 AM
Principle - the one I refer to is what I've mentioned repeatedly - Club Mayo's belief they can selectively choose who they fundraise for. Mayo GAA is made of many parts and I think it is wrong that one group is allowed cherry pick where their fundraising goes. It smacks of 'ah sure let the bucks in the Mayo clubs take care of the shite'.

Re figures, you seem to have a closer insight to Club Mayo than I so you can tell me if the €15k raised last year is representative of other years?

Yes it is.

Now you tell me, can donors decide where their money goes or is it a question of 'give it to us, or give it to no one'?
MWWSI 2017

spectator

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2012, 08:27:40 PM
Quote from: spectator on February 09, 2012, 08:01:04 PM
Muppet, is this action by the MCB against Club Mayo a consequence of their supposed proposal of Tommy Lyons as a replacement for Johnno - if indeed they proposed him at all in the first place, that is?

It's unbelievable that such a good supporters club is being told to take a hike.

Club Mayo have laid out their side of the story, with a download also available which outlines their views on the situation.

http://www.clubmayo.ie/540.php

clubmayo had nothing to do with any proposal for the position of manager. It was a malicious rumour designed to undermine the organisation at home.

So were Club Mayo being asked to fundraise and provide financial support which went outside of their normal remit by that stage, do you reckon?

muppet

Quote from: spectator on February 10, 2012, 12:41:37 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2012, 08:27:40 PM
Quote from: spectator on February 09, 2012, 08:01:04 PM
Muppet, is this action by the MCB against Club Mayo a consequence of their supposed proposal of Tommy Lyons as a replacement for Johnno - if indeed they proposed him at all in the first place, that is?

It's unbelievable that such a good supporters club is being told to take a hike.

Club Mayo have laid out their side of the story, with a download also available which outlines their views on the situation.

http://www.clubmayo.ie/540.php

clubmayo had nothing to do with any proposal for the position of manager. It was a malicious rumour designed to undermine the organisation at home.

So were Club Mayo being asked to fundraise and provide financial support which went outside of their normal remit by that stage, do you reckon?

I don't understand the thrust of that question. clubmayo never changed their mission statement and it was never a problem until the last four weeks.
MWWSI 2017

mrhardyannual

This is a simple case of democratic rule. The clubs of the county decided that they (as the county board) have full control of all matters to do with Mayo Gaa. Clubmayo were asked to row in with Cairde Mhaigheo as the umbrella body for all supporters clubs but indicated that they wished to act independently. That is not feasible. If each unit of the Mayo GAA decided that it needed to have autonomy in relation to how the funds it raised were dispensed there would be anarchy.
Nobody denies that Clubmayo did and does great work to support the teams but the tail cannot wag the dog. I dont see there being any case to put before the "wigs". The precedents for the County Board's action are well established.
There are many people within Mayo as well as those in Dublin who would wish to see their donations spent only on county teams. Given that the total cost of running teams is far in excess of the amounts raised by Clubmayo, the Mayo Supporters Club, Mayo Patrons Scheme etc or any other fundraising body, it could be argued that their contributions do go there. But in any organisation there has to be democratic control and ultimately that is what this is about,
For once the Board, but more so the clubs, have got it right. If those involved in Clubmayo have the interests of Mayo GAA at heart ( and I presume they do ) it is not to late to reach an understanding with the Board. The majority of delegates would welcome that move - but only if it allows the ultimate contol of finances to reside where it should... with a democratically elected Board.

muppet

Quote from: mrhardyannual on February 10, 2012, 02:07:41 AM
This is a simple case of democratic rule. The clubs of the county decided that they (as the county board) have full control of all matters to do with Mayo Gaa. Clubmayo were asked to row in with Cairde Mhaigheo as the umbrella body for all supporters clubs but indicated that they wished to act independently. That is not feasible. If each unit of the Mayo GAA decided that it needed to have autonomy in relation to how the funds it raised were dispensed there would be anarchy.
Nobody denies that Clubmayo did and does great work to support the teams but the tail cannot wag the dog. I dont see there being any case to put before the "wigs". The precedents for the County Board's action are well established.
There are many people within Mayo as well as those in Dublin who would wish to see their donations spent only on county teams. Given that the total cost of running teams is far in excess of the amounts raised by Clubmayo, the Mayo Supporters Club, Mayo Patrons Scheme etc or any other fundraising body, it could be argued that their contributions do go there. But in any organisation there has to be democratic control and ultimately that is what this is about,
For once the Board, but more so the clubs, have got it right. If those involved in Clubmayo have the interests of Mayo GAA at heart ( and I presume they do ) it is not to late to reach an understanding with the Board. The majority of delegates would welcome that move - but only if it allows the ultimate contol of finances to reside where it should... with a democratically elected Board.

Democratic rule?

Since you dismiss everything on this basis, please demonstrate both the mandate and the rulebook that gives the Mayo County Board absolute control over the donations of clubmayo's members.

MWWSI 2017