clubmayo

Started by muppet, February 08, 2012, 10:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Is the point in this debate that is getting missed is that clubmayo was formed for and by supporters living / working in Dublin and to offer help to senior players studying and working in Dublin?

This differs from the clubs within the County Board?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on February 10, 2012, 12:14:08 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 10, 2012, 12:11:23 AM
Principle - the one I refer to is what I've mentioned repeatedly - Club Mayo's belief they can selectively choose who they fundraise for. Mayo GAA is made of many parts and I think it is wrong that one group is allowed cherry pick where their fundraising goes. It smacks of 'ah sure let the bucks in the Mayo clubs take care of the shite'.

Re figures, you seem to have a closer insight to Club Mayo than I so you can tell me if the €15k raised last year is representative of other years?

Yes it is.

Now you tell me, can donors decide where their money goes or is it a question of 'give it to us, or give it to no one'?

Well then my point is valid - the €15k figure is hardly extraordinary. Not to be sniffed at mind, but I still would think that that type of money can be raised in Dublin by a central fund. Surely Club Mayo members can still offer the same level of support to players as they have heretofore or will it be a case, like a leading Club Mayo person said some months ago on local radio, that if they are not allowed to continue with their club status, 'there are plenty of other sporting organisations in Mayo who would welcome our support'. Again, this was handled badly at County Board level but the right outcome has been arrived at.

With regard to donors, of course they can't 'cherry pick' where there money goes. I know if a lot of sponsors and donors in my own club had their way, they'd want all their money pumped into our senior team and seek short term success. But a club, like Mayo GAA, have a wider obligation than that. Underage structures need to be developed, facilities need to be paid for (I'd have my own reservations about McHale Park but sin sceál eile) and the democratically elected officers of the club - and the county board - have the say on where the money goes. If donors are allowed to cherry pick, then we're in trouble.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 10, 2012, 09:39:02 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 10, 2012, 12:14:08 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 10, 2012, 12:11:23 AM
Principle - the one I refer to is what I've mentioned repeatedly - Club Mayo's belief they can selectively choose who they fundraise for. Mayo GAA is made of many parts and I think it is wrong that one group is allowed cherry pick where their fundraising goes. It smacks of 'ah sure let the bucks in the Mayo clubs take care of the shite'.

Re figures, you seem to have a closer insight to Club Mayo than I so you can tell me if the €15k raised last year is representative of other years?

Yes it is.

Now you tell me, can donors decide where their money goes or is it a question of 'give it to us, or give it to no one'?

Well then my point is valid - the €15k figure is hardly extraordinary. Not to be sniffed at mind, but I still would think that that type of money can be raised in Dublin by a central fund. Surely Club Mayo members can still offer the same level of support to players as they have heretofore or will it be a case, like a leading Club Mayo person said some months ago on local radio, that if they are not allowed to continue with their club status, 'there are plenty of other sporting organisations in Mayo who would welcome our support'. Again, this was handled badly at County Board level but the right outcome has been arrived at.

With regard to donors, of course they can't 'cherry pick' where there money goes. I know if a lot of sponsors and donors in my own club had their way, they'd want all their money pumped into our senior team and seek short term success. But a club, like Mayo GAA, have a wider obligation than that. Underage structures need to be developed, facilities need to be paid for (I'd have my own reservations about McHale Park but sin sceál eile) and the democratically elected officers of the club - and the county board - have the say on where the money goes. If donors are allowed to cherry pick, then we're in trouble.

This is where we will not agree. You need to think this through a bit more.

If the County Board announces that donations to all clubs, their teams and grounds are now to be re-directed to Cáirde Mhaigheo, how do you think the clubs will like it?
MWWSI 2017

mrhardyannual

It is you that needs to think it through. The county board is the clubs. The clubs acting as the board has made this decision. In any organisation there must be a controlling authority. Clubmayo was set up as a supporters club. GAA rules state that all supporters clubs are subject to the authority of their county board and all monies raised are to be dispensed at or by the direction of the board. I have no gripe with Clubmayo but the rules back up the position of the board.

muppet

Quote from: mrhardyannual on February 10, 2012, 07:49:33 PM
It is you that needs to think it through. The county board is the clubs. The clubs acting as the board has made this decision. In any organisation there must be a controlling authority. Clubmayo was set up as a supporters club. GAA rules state that all supporters clubs are subject to the authority of their county board and all monies raised are to be dispensed at or by the direction of the board. I have no gripe with Clubmayo but the rules back up the position of the board.

If this rule actually exists it is about as enforceable as the non-payment of managers rule.

Neither the Gaa nor the County Board were involved in setting up clubmayo. The County Board and the Gaa can disassociate from any such organisation and they can advise their own members to do the same. But that is it.

clubmayo is bound by its own rules and the basis on which it raised funds is the only basis for it to distribute those funds. Anything else could lead to legal action. The County Board has no claim on those funds and I am astonished to read that they are demanding them to be handed over. At this stage I think clubmayo should disassociate itself from the Gaa, as instructed, and its members should be to decide what to do with their remaining funds.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Leaving side the hostility here is what I would guess has happened:

The County Board went to Croke Park cap in hand for a bailout. Croke did what the Troika did and said there would be funds available but one of the conditions would be that any local funds would be exhausted first. For example the Troika didn't want any Irish Government taking money from them while holding funds that could be used in the event of a default on the Troika debt. In that case the funds were those in the National Pension Reserve and those funds were to be spent as part of the bailout terms.

In this case I am guessing Croke Park reasonably offered a bailout on the basis that the CB had no money. What they didn't want was Croke Park bailing them out while the County Board used their own funds to, say, fly first class to Leitrim (a metaphor before anyone thinks that is an accusation).

All of the above would be understandable from Croke Park's point of view. However clubmayo was not set up by the CB and those funds don't belong to them. Croke Park may not be interested in the semantics but there would be a number of solutions available in that case. However the CB appears to me to have gleefully taken the nuclear one.
MWWSI 2017

m@yoman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 09, 2012, 11:25:41 PM
I'd be looking at the principle of the thing. But there's also the fact that Club Mayo haven't tapped into any sort of sizeable Dublin funds - something alluded to by a member on mayogaablog.com. I would hope more funds can be raised now in Dublin from central fundraising. If I'm wrong I'll gladly stand corrected.

Sizeable Dublin funds?? Mayo have had some terrible Championship runs since Club Mayo was formed culminating in an embarrassing defeat to Longford in 2010...If any Committee member tried selling me membership as I left Pearse Park that day I would have probably laughed at them! coupled with the worst recession in the history of the state, it's not as if lads were queueing up to throw them money?? I know several lads who worked in Dublin in the boom times and have now either came back to Mammys cooking while readin the Mayo News and listening to paul claffey shite on on Mid West or else have emigrated...