The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Any coverage of this on BBC or RTE? Thought they would have struck some sort of deal considering its in Ireland but maybe its just skysports?

Rois

BBC have had coverage in the evenings.

imtommygunn

It was on live on rte2 the other day.

An Watcher

Sorry I should have specified, the British Open, not the Irish open

TheOptimist

Had Rahm backed to win from the start. Hes very likeable and hope he wins majors soon.

Has anyone see the American's Matthew Wolff swing. He won the 3M at the weekend. It has been slagged of but he has only joined the tour and is looking the real deal. If is the most unorthodox swing you'll see and makes me question all those pros online teaching the only way to swing a golf club!

Boycey

Quote from: TheOptimist on July 08, 2019, 10:15:45 AM
Had Rahm backed to win from the start. Hes very likeable and hope he wins majors soon.

Has anyone see the American's Matthew Wolff swing. He won the 3M at the weekend. It has been slagged of but he has only joined the tour and is looking the real deal. If is the most unorthodox swing you'll see and makes me question all those pros online teaching the only way to swing a golf club!

His swing reminds me of Eamon Darcy from a different era..

It was an amazing finish, 2 young lads with a handful of appearances between them fighting it out in the final group. It looks to be between them up the par 5 18th then DeChambeau in the group in front hits it in close and holes for eagle to bypass both and lead by 1. Both are in the fairway watching and know they now need birdie for a playoff. They play two great 2nd shots in leaving eagle putts Wolff goes first and holes it to lead again, Morikawa lips out with his eagle attempt to force a playoff.

These young lads are fearless

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 25, 2019, 01:50:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 25, 2019, 11:18:05 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 25, 2019, 11:10:29 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 25, 2019, 10:59:15 AM
Shane Lowry had his big chance in 2016 leading by 4 or 5 going into the last round of the US open and then imploded, cant imagine he will get too many other chances at a major

He'll always have a chance anytime he tees up in the Open.

Jesus I like Shane and all, but Ben Lowry has as much chance of winning major ffs.

He has won a WGC against the best in the world - he lead the us open (arguably the hardest major) by 4 shots after 54 holes and managed to get a joint runner up after a disastrous final round (that included the rules mess up with DJ that probably affected Shane's play as well).  To say he has no hope of ever winning a major is extremely harsh.  He will be teeing it up in all 4 majors this year - admittedly it would be a big shock if he won one but any of the top 50 or so players in the world if they put it together for 4 days in the correct week - get some lucky breaks and you never know what could happen

that post aged well didnt it trailer - clown
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

trailer

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on July 21, 2019, 07:48:15 PM
Shane Lowry had his big chance in 2016 leading by 4 or 5 going into the last round of the US open and then imploded, cant imagine he will get too many other chances at a major

Jesus I like Shane and all, but Ben Lowry has as much chance of winning major ffs.

He has won a WGC against the best in the world - he lead the us open (arguably the hardest major) by 4 shots after 54 holes and managed to get a joint runner up after a disastrous final round (that included the rules mess up with DJ that probably affected Shane's play as well).  To say he has no hope of ever winning a major is extremely harsh.  He will be teeing it up in all 4 majors this year - admittedly it would be a big shock if he won one but any of the top 50 or so players in the world if they put it together for 4 days in the correct week - get some lucky breaks and you never know what could happen

Yes, well goes to show you what I know, the sum total of f**k all.
Couldn't be happier to be proven wrong. Lowry is a great guy and a worthy champion who played some scintillating golf.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: trailer on July 22, 2019, 02:17:25 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on July 21, 2019, 07:48:15 PM

Yes, well goes to show you what I know, the sum total of f**k all.
Couldn't be happier to be proven wrong. Lowry is a great guy and a worthy champion who played some scintillating golf.

lol - good humility from you there to admit you were wrong.  And +1 on your second sentence - couldn't agree more
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

David McKeown

Do the GUI get enough credit for the great health of Irish golf over the last decade or so?  Since 2008 only the US has had more major winners or major wins. Added to that there's been a few junior champions over the last two decades who just haven't made it at adult level. I rarely ever see the organisation discussed or in the media. Is it a coincidence and all these players have just come through at the same time or are the GUI doing a lot quietly behind the scenes?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hound

Quote from: David McKeown on July 22, 2019, 05:09:31 PM
Do the GUI get enough credit for the great health of Irish golf over the last decade or so?  Since 2008 only the US has had more major winners or major wins. Added to that there's been a few junior champions over the last two decades who just haven't made it at adult level. I rarely ever see the organisation discussed or in the media. Is it a coincidence and all these players have just come through at the same time or are the GUI doing a lot quietly behind the scenes?
On Sky Sports McGinley was giving a lot of praise to the work that goes on behind the scenes at youth golf level in Ireland.

Orior

62 from Rory today. An amazing talent.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on July 27, 2019, 10:00:29 PM
Someone must have sewn his balls back on during the week.

NotedObserver

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 27, 2019, 10:41:01 PM
Someone must have sewn his balls back on during the week.

Plenty of time to prepare

Hound

After such a bad start on Thursday too.
Koepka though is hot on his heels. Will be a great final round 2 ball