Primark fire in belfast

Started by imtommygunn, August 28, 2018, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: general_lee on August 29, 2018, 08:55:46 AM
Is it just me or is there something dodgy about it?

Nothing dodgy about it, Welders set it on fire by accident - were doing work on the 5th floor and something caught fire, thats the word from few of the primark staff that were out on the street yesterday

Rufus T Firefly

I'm no fire fighting expert, but when I was round that way at around 1.00 pm I thought the fire looked as if it was being contained to the roof / upper floor. Was really taken aback when I seen the inferno some two hours later!

Very sad to see it, and for the employees, but the bottom line is that there were no fatalities or serious injuries. 

general_lee

Quote from: Mourne Red on August 29, 2018, 09:23:51 AM
Quote from: general_lee on August 29, 2018, 08:55:46 AM
Is it just me or is there something dodgy about it?

Nothing dodgy about it, Welders set it on fire by accident - were doing work on the 5th floor and something caught fire, thats the word from few of the primark staff that were out on the street yesterday
What were they welding? A jerry can full of petrol?

Over the Bar

They obviously didn't carry out much of a risk assessment.

RedHand88

Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.

Last Man

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 29, 2018, 12:35:18 PM
I heard it was caused by an unattended propane torch being used on the roof. You don't come across too many through other sites these days, I'd be surprised if there wasn't RAMS in place. Sometimes you can't legislate for a lad taking a shortcut though, feel sorry for all involved.

Tony Baloney

I'm sure the contractors will be going though all risk assessments, method statements and permits to work with a fine toothcomb today.

bennydorano

Hot works permits inspection, but you can't legislate for good oul fashioned laziness / taking shortcuts. The HSE will be there for a while.

Milltown Row2

Puting roof felt down I heard. probably stopped for tea break at 10.30 and left it on. Not sure if there was a lot of stock in the building but they would have increased the fuel for sure.

Sprinklers probably off due to the work going on, combination of carelessness and bad luck!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 29, 2018, 01:16:43 PM
Puting roof felt down I heard. probably stopped for tea break at 10.30 and left it on. Not sure if there was a lot of stock in the building but they would have increased the fuel for sure.

Sprinklers probably off due to the work going on, combination of carelessness and bad luck!
Sprinklers off? If that was the case Belfast has somehow escaped a potentially lethal catastrophe.

Franko

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 29, 2018, 12:35:18 PM

There's always one.  The paperwork brigade.

You can fill in as many stupid forms as you like.  If a contractor leaves a blowtorch going and heads off for his tea it's most likely gonna end in tears.

Risk assessment or not.

Wildweasel74

I have actually seen sthing like this before; men leaving the torch on as they go to lift insulation for laying down; or cutting edging trims and leave torch handing ovet the edge@ more common in the flat roofing profession than u think! Never seen them left unattended though@

Franko

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 29, 2018, 05:22:37 PM
I have actually seen sthing like this before; men leaving the torch on as they go to lift insulation for laying down; or cutting edging trims and leave torch handing ovet the edge@ more common in the flat roofing profession than u think! Never seen them left unattended though@

Not my line of work WW but I don't doubt it!

It's the "filling out another form will fix it" attitude that drives me mad.  And it's getting more and more prevalent these days.  More and more H&S staff having to justify their existence.

bennydorano

Jesus Franko, this is hardly the tread to be pushing that argument - as its the paying attention to / following the guidance on the forms that actually makes all the difference.     

red hander

Believe the actual extension wasn't too badly affected by the blaze, if not the smoke. I would walk past it every night up Castle Street after midnight home from work and they would be still battering away, seemed a 24-hour job for the last year or so, plenty of south Derry boys judging by the accents. That being the case, hopefully they can rebuild quickly. There are a few empty buildings in city centre, maybe Primark can use one of them in meantime so nobody loses their job