LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Look I think the prep might have something to do with this result and I have a gut feeling we can do much better against Derry infact I think we will get a reaction and beat the Oakleaf.Yes I might seem optimistic but Fermanagh is gone now hopefully there will be lessons learned giving the ball away nearly 30 times in an inter-county game is unforgivable and I think the players know we can't see that again.

This group has and talent and a great pride among themselves and I fully believe we will see a response on Sunday.

Mick Lillis himself will have learned lesson's maybe it would be better if he didn't speak to Jack after the games so soon when he doesn't have any answers as such and his head is still in a blur.

Still its beats listening to TOF "Well listen you know I Suppose"God thats all the man said used drive me insane.

Derry have their own troubles and the pressure is on them as well...Loose to us and they are stuck on four points with Meath and Armagh to play and could be dragged into a dog fight.Damien Barton is getting a lot of stick at the minute.This would not have been in their plans at the start of the year when they and a lot of other people would have really fancied them to join Tyrone in division one.They conceded 21 points against Tyrone and Galway and by all accounts were very lucky to win in Cavan.

Lets see how this game pans out we know Derry have a few fine footballers.

Interesting to note from them two epic minor semi finals in 2007 what players are still playing senior football...

Laois team for the drawn game in croker 2-12 to 1-15 with Laois coming back from the dead Zac scoring two late goals

Laois: C O'Shea; R Kehoe, J Mulhare, J O'Connor; K Lillis, C Boyle, Z Tuohy (2-01, 1 '45'); D Lowry, J O'Loughlin; S Ramsbottom, E Kelly (0-01), B Smyth; J Doyle, C Meredith (0-02), D Kingston (0-06, 0-03f).
Subs used: K Farrell (0-02) for Lowry (23 mins), B Glynn for Kelly, K Hyland for Doyle (both 55), S Miller for Smyth (59).

I make it Laois have five players still playing most of these lads are around 26/27 now Robbie Kehoe,Kieran Lillis,John O'Loughlin,Conor Meredith and Donie Kingston.

Derry have also five of their starting line up that day still involved being Chrissy McKaigue,James Kielt,
Cailena O'Boyle,Neil forester,and Daniel Heavron.

highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnnNYurWFYA

18.33 in for one of the best Laois goals I've ever seen...

LAOIS ABÚ

Dave like the tv channel

Yer man at 20:42 liked a burger.

Tony

Lillis, so far, just seems very re-active, and not pro-active. We need someone to make things happen for us, not complain and give excuses when things don't happen - like no field, or not knowing why things went wrong or even WHERE they went wrong. He should be MAKING things happen.

Maybe I'm being too harsh - I know it's early days. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is a strong panel we hve this year - the lads deserve a good set up in there to give us a good chance of performing well this year.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Good point Tony, probably the strongest panel we have for the past ten years.
There must be some pitch available, Crettyard is as good a pitch as you would get anywhere..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

County Man

I agree with Unlaoised I feel we will win on Sunday v Derry.

Guys will be kicking themselves this week after a poor showing against Fermanagh.

They will be eager to put it right. If we can match the intensity that occured against Tyrone, we will win.

Home advantage counts for a lot.

Will be hard to nick victory in Breffni Park so its vital we grab 4 points against both Derry and Meath.

ILikeStrawberryJam

I agree Tony,  Lillis post match interview appear don't inspire confidence
I wasn't there but the Fermanagh defeat was very worrying.
To get annihilated by an average team like Fermanagh isn't good enough.
Then for Lillis to say he was worried when he saw sean  Quigley wasn't playing ..
Wtf does that mean ,  worried that THEIR main man wasn't playing ..
We have forwards who can score .. We need a proper defensive structure
Anyone know if attride is back ? Derry have some good forwards ..
We did get trounced by Cavan last year by 12 points but then went out and bet Roscommon by 7 ..who knows what Sunday will bring ..

Tony

Good entertainment today but 1: We seriously need to tighten up at the back and 2: No idea where the referees head was today - some decisions were mind boggling. Evan O' Carroll is developing into a serious talent. Also thought Quigley and O'Loughlin had great games.

Stad

We're too slow! Most teams run from deep with huge pace these days. Our half forward, midfield and half back line can't keep up with them. When you have this deficiency you have to organise a defensive unit, it's the only option. I have my doubts that the manager we have has the ability to implement the system needed but I'm hope he can prove me wrong. He hasn't learned anything yet anyway but I suppose he has an excuse cause we haven't played any football yet, it's mid-March!!!!!

SCFC

Shocking lack of nous from our backs when we went three up at the end. A bit of Tyrone type cynicism was required. Take the black card and move on with a win in your back pocket. Beyond frustrating.
A few good performances. O'Loughlin seems to coming back to his best level. O'Carroll and Kingston are pure class. Donoher worked his socks off. Quigs did well.

High Fielder

Crazy stuff there yesterday. Defending from both sides was Under 8 standard. We were marginally the better side and our commitment to the game was admirable, but with more composure and some sort of defensive plan, we should have won the game. If I were Lillis, I would ask Cheddar and Healy if he fancied the Meath game. I don't know Armaghs fixtures, but if it comes down to a straight shoot out between us and Meath, we could do with Healy in the backs. Based on what I saw of Derry yesterday, there is every possibility that Meath will get a result against them, although I'm hoping they might be better in Celtic Park. Very unlikely we will get anything in Cavan.

Any news on Kieran Lillis? I hope he makes a quick recovery

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: High Fielder on March 14, 2016, 08:31:28 AM
Crazy stuff there yesterday. Defending from both sides was Under 8 standard. We were marginally the better side and our commitment to the game was admirable, but with more composure and some sort of defensive plan, we should have won the game. If I were Lillis, I would ask Cheddar and Healy if he fancied the Meath game. I don't know Armaghs fixtures, but if it comes down to a straight shoot out between us and Meath, we could do with Healy in the backs. Based on what I saw of Derry yesterday, there is every possibility that Meath will get a result against them, although I'm hoping they might be better in Celtic Park. Very unlikely we will get anything in Cavan.

Any news on Kieran Lillis? I hope he makes a quick recovery

Armagh are away to Tyrone, then home to Derry.

Tony

The way the fixtures and results have worked out, it looks as though, if we beat Meath in the last game, we'll stay up.

les Antiques

I honestly think it's going to take more than the return of Healy to solve the defensive situation . Quality player that he is , our set up is all over the place . Conceding 5 goals against an average Derry forward line is worrying . Our vulnerability is there for all to see and needs serious attention because we are not going to be scoring 1-22 in every game this year .
OCarroll and Donie will be formidable this summer and the return to form of OLoughlin is encouraging. Hope Lillis injury isn't too serious and the chap recovers . Looked very nasty . 

redsetanta

Is it true that Lillis suffered a broken leg?

He will be a loss if so.

Was Robbie Kehoe's absence after the black card a factor in conceding those goals. He's been playing well so curious to know if his loss had a big affect?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Firstly tho' I hate to go on about ref's, he was diabolical. It's been a long time since I've seen referring as bad as that. Robbie kehoe was on his way to becoming "man of the match when" his man got a few steps in front of him. Robbie tried to trip him with his foot but completely missed but was reported by the linesman and the ref saw fit to award him a black card.  Why...? ? ?

Evan was blatantly dragged down in the goalmouth in the first half and was fouled in the square in the second and all we got from those two incidents was.... a forty meter free ? ? ? A ball was blocked by Strong's leg about five meters away from where it was kicked and because it was in the square he awards Derry a penalty..? ?? ??  I'll stop now although there were loads more ridiculous decisions like that.

I thought it was the best performance by our lads from an attacking point of view for ages but we certainly will have to defend better than that. It seemed like they could score goals at will whenever they came at us but we created lots of goal scoring chances ourselves throughout the game. We are getting there and maybe a spell in Div 3 might not be a bad thing. Look what it did for Roscommon ..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!