?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

TheOptimist

Quote from: allseasons on September 24, 2019, 12:56:23 PM
Having watched the majority of senior teams in action over the last couple of months here is my take on it all.

Slaughtneil - clear favourites for the title. Defensively so strong. Young Mc Neill could be a loss as they don't seem to have great cover in the back line. Who is the next player up if theres another injury? So strong on breaking which makes ballinderrys decision to go long with their kick outs even more puzzling. What is the craic with Patsy?

Glen - the contenders. Have been impressive so far especially in the wide open spaces of owenbeg. Could be bullied in the semi final? Great pace throughout their team and now look to have a bit of depth to their panel.

Magherafelt - Probably next up. Defensively well set up. Seemed to catch the surfers trying to see the game out the first day. Is it finally their time to step up and challenge slaughtneil?

Banagher - Have had a great championship run and getting to a final is not out of the question. Ive been impressed with their midfield of lynch o neill and mc Gilligan. Keeper also hugely impressive. Under no pressure going into a semi final.

Ballinderry - A team in decline unfortunately. Very little pace around the middle on sunday and sideline tactics would have to be questioned.

Screen - Also look to be a team in decline with many of their big hitters having seen better days, Mc Bride etc.

Lavey - Lavey had their chance last year. Will have to try to hang on to their older players to help the young lads come through in the next few years. No john Mc Laughlins heading their way for a while.

Bellaghy - Similar to lavey only maybe a year or two further down the line.

Swatragh - Disappointing end to what should have been a much better year for them. May rue this missed opportunity. Lots if big players but maybe missing a bit of craft at both ends of the park.

Coleraine - Best days behind them

All the rest could flirt between intermediate and senior in the next few years with none really with a realistic chance of winning the big prize.

I noticed this in last years intermediate also. Should he be a County contender?

allseasons

Quote from: Derry Optimist on September 24, 2019, 01:55:51 PM
"allseasons" gave a very good realistic overview of all the team performances in the Derry Senior football championships.Perhaps he would like to take his analysis a bit further and name his standout players in each side from a Rory Gallagher perspective.

I would certainly hope Rory doesn't pick his panel based on the championship games alone. Some lads have good days, others may be quietly efficient in doing specific jobs their management has asked them to do, and a few may just have had a poor day out. I suppose that's why he has good men like Muldoon and Meenah on his backroom team as they would have good inside knowledge of the players throughout the county.

From my own view point I thought last years county panel had varying fortunes. Some stood out and looked every inch the county player whereas others couldn't have been picked out from the crowd.

Slaughtneil - Rodgers dominated sucky, driving his team forward. Chrissy did what Chrissy does. Karl had a good battle with Daniel Mc kindless. Cassidy effective midfield and is a mobile worker. Looks every inch a county wing forward. Shane mc Guigan was quiet but is one who is county level.

Glen - Mc Faul and Bradley the stand out performers. Are any of the rest county standard? Doherty x 2 could be worth looking at.

Magherafelt - Mc cluskey in defence and Kearins caught the eye. Probably hard for forwards to stand outin their defensive system. Heavron will be on Rorys radar.

Banagher - Keeper is best ive seen but may not commit if reports are to be believed! O Neill midfield could be worth a look. Muldoon will know these boys well enough to give Rory an insight.

Lavey - Toner small for county level and hasn't really done it in a county jersey as yet. Mc Gill Disappointing against glen but could have something to offer at another. Downey possibly worth a look

Ballinderry - Mc kindless did well on Karl Mc Kaigue with a limited supply of ball. Other mc Kindless might not be worth the hassel for a new manager. Bell very disappointing in his battle with Rodgers.

Swatragh - as I said a lot of similar players but none who would really have you on the edge of your seat. Mc Williams x 2 would be worth a look if previous underage form is taken into consideration and they stay injury free.

I could name more players from more clubs (lynn, Keenan, mc Goldricks) but as I've said Rory has a good team in place who know the players \ personalities well enough. There is talent there but the lack of a 'marquee' forward or 2 would be my biggest concern.

Pearse Blue

Is this Cushies last year in Magherafelt?

seanyb1

banagher 7/2 to upset the odds again against m'felt.

Glen 4/1 to beat slaughtneil.. anyone on the double?

braveheart

Quote from: topofthesoil on October 01, 2019, 03:55:23 PM
Quote from: seanyb1 on October 01, 2019, 01:08:04 PM

how this works, if you put a 10er on glen, you lose £10
Maghera,/Magherafelt Double this weekend looks a good bet to me.

toby47

How do you all see the results going this weekend? Any upsets in the Senior or Intermediate?

Gaagaagaa20

Quote from: toby47 on October 02, 2019, 12:35:50 PM
How do you all see the results going this weekend? Any upsets in the Senior or Intermediate?
Fully expect Banagher to do the business against Magherafelt this weekend. A good result in last week's hurling decider will leave them on a high and Magherafelt by all accounts feel they are in bonus territory themselves.

allseasons

Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on October 02, 2019, 02:23:44 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 02, 2019, 12:35:50 PM
Fully expect Banagher to do the business against Magherafelt this weekend. A good result in last week's hurling decider will leave them on a high and Magherafelt by all accounts feel they are in bonus territory themselves.

I doubt anyone in Magherafelt would view their championship campaign as a success if they were beaten by Banagher so not really 'bonus territory'.

tonesfirstandlast

Junior...... Drum by 5

Intermediate. Claudy by 10
                     Foreglen  by 3

Senior             Magherafelt by 11
                       Slaughtneil. By 4

Leave it with you experts there

braveheart

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on October 03, 2019, 04:13:42 PM
Junior...... Drum by 5

Intermediate. Claudy by 10
                     Foreglen  by 3 op

Senior             Magherafelt by 11
                       Slaughtneil. By 4

Leave it with you experts there
I fancy glack in the junior championship final. From what I've seen their a fast young team.
Drumsurn beat Claudy in the league and I predict Drumsurn to do similar in this game. They have some quality young lads coming up through the ranks.
Foreglen V Dawson will be a close result-Draw
Magherafelt will win by 5/6 points at least.
Slaughtneil V Glen could be, weather permitting a great spectacle. Glen have been very impressive this year. But slaughtneil wiped them off the floor in the league. Because of that people are writing off Glen. Glen have blistering pace. Owenbeg will suit them. It might take a replay to separate them

allseasons

Junior - Drum 4 pts

Intermediate Claudy v Drunsurn 1 pt
                  Foreglen v Dawson 3 pts

Senior         Slaughtneil v Glen 2pts   
                  Rossa v Banagher  4pts

Going for a bit of a shock in the Drunsurn v Claudy game

real food, real people

Not sure how Drumsurn's stock has risen so much or what its based on, think they may be without Dara Rafferty too.
Glack
Foreglen
Claudy
Magherafelt
Slaughtneil

Surely Banagher cant wreck another bet this week??

braveheart

Quote from: braveheart on October 01, 2019, 05:40:03 PM
Quote from: topofthesoil on October 01, 2019, 03:55:23 PM
Quote from: seanyb1 on October 01, 2019, 01:08:04 PM

how this works, if you put a 10er on glen, you lose £10
Maghera,/Magherafelt Double this weekend looks a good bet to me.
A novel county final. You know what they should do-make both teams travel to the Donegal border and play the final on the best surface in Derry (the best because no games are played on it) it should be played in Owenbeg or nowhere IMO

cornerback

Newbridge Exile

As enjoyable a game of football I have been at in a long time , fair play to Glen overall they probably just deserved it ,