American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

it was seen as disrespectful and running up the score.

Imagine you were playing a GAA team who scored 4-5 in the first 10 minutes and they kept on going for goals thoughout the game - instead of easing off and taking points - would you be pissed off?

Puckoon

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 08, 2007, 09:17:34 PM
it was seen as disrespectful and running up the score.

Imagine you were playing a GAA team who scored 4-5 in the first 10 minutes and they kept on going for goals thoughout the game - instead of easing off and taking points - would you be pissed off?

I dont buy that viewpoint, especially in america with the amount of money spent on players. I might be pissed off, but I couldnt in good conscience have any issue with the team we were playing. Id be more pissed off at my own team.  Any redskin fan who was pissed at that, is just looking at excuses outside of their own teams poor performance.

Balboa

I dont see why people have a problem with "running up the score", if you dont like it do something about it. American sport is obsessed with apperaring "classy". I know anytime we have been hurling and we start to pull away from a team you want to beat them by as many as possible.

Gabriel_Hurl

I don't see the problem with it either

magickingdom

liverpool scored 8 the other night and no one had a problem with it, dont mention kilkenny in the hurling and come to think of it mayo people didnt make a big deal out of it these past few years either! (and before anyone jumps on me kerry got walloped by meath not that long ago). seriously tho imagine the sackings that would happen if a team eased up.. and somehow lost.

AZOffaly

I was just about to mention the Cats there magickingdom. I have no problems whatsoever with the beatings they hand out to people when they can, even the 31 point drubbing we got off them a few years ago. In a strange sort of way I think it shows *more* respect to the other team rather than less.

The great thing about it, as the optimist, is that when we seriously start to challenge Kilkenny, and even start beating them again, we will know that every time we play them they are trying to beat us by as much as they can. It's a proper yardstick you can measure yourself against because you can trust them to always beat you by whatever they are able to beat you by.

If I was playing the Patriots, and I felt they were easing off the gas to spare me embarrasment, I would be more insulted and upset with them. Do the best you can, always. Winning by 10, or losing by 10, keep going.

Balboa

I remember Kilkenny were playing Antrim in the NHL a few years ago and were running up a ridiculous score, something like 3-31, it actually could have been a lot worse because apparentley the Kilkenny forwards were clean through for goals and were tapping it over the bar, basically they took pity on the Saffrons.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: magickingdom on November 08, 2007, 09:01:45 PM
interesting article in todays times by george kimball on the 'cheating' pats. them colts aint no angels either...

While cruising to their NFL-best 9-0 record this season, the Patriots have been the subject of much disapprobation. After a Patriots operative was caught videotaping the New York Jets' defensive signals during a September game at the Meadowlands, the league fined coach Bill Belichick a record $500,000 and owner Robert Kraft $250,000 and ordered the forfeiture of the Pats' number one pick in next spring's NFL draft.

The episode continues to cast a pall over what has been a dramatically successful New England march through the schedule. With seven games to play, the Patriots are 9-0 and would appear to have a reasonable chance of posting the second perfect record in NFL history. But some, including Don Shula, the Hall of Fame coach whose 1972 Miami Dolphins went 17-0 to set the standard, have suggested that were this year's New England team to top that feat, the achievement would be so tainted by "Cameragate" it should be marked with an asterisk, like Barry Bonds's home-run record.

While Shula's intimations of "cheating" were widely circulated, it might be noted that the legendary coach offered no criticism of Belichick's refusal to call off the dogs in the Redskins game. After all, those 17 Miami wins in 1972 included a 52-0 victory over the Patriots.

Last Sunday, however, the tables were turned. It was not Belichick, but Tony Dungy, the straight-arrow, Bible-quoting Indianapolis coach, and the defending world champion Colts who stood accused of playing fast and loose with the rules - first by jamming the transmission of the coach-to-quarterback signal to Tom Brady's helmet, and then by ratcheting up the already-deafening crowd noise at Indianapolis's RCA Dome by electronically pumping in artificial crowd noise. "I can tell you that from a functional standpoint, the coach-to-quarterback (transmission) was basically useless," groused Belichick after the game. "We had to use hand signals to send in the plays."

In what was advertised as the most hotly anticipated regular-season game in NFL history, Brady rallied the Patriots from a 10-point deficit to a 24-20 win, but at the beginning of the fourth quarter television viewers were jolted out of their seats when the boisterous voice of the crowd abruptly segued into a whirring noise that would be familiar to anyone whose CD player has skipped. It seemed plain the home team had been caught enhancing the volume.

Since the RCA Dome is generally considered one of the more hostile environments in the nation, many wondered why the Colts had bothered. As with the Patriots' sideline camera, it was not as if they needed help.

The Patriots lodged a protest with NFL security. But a day later the league absolved the Colts, suggesting the glitch had been the result of a malfunction in the CBS television truck.

Readers can judge for themselves. The "unusual audio moment" is available at http://ballhype.com/story/indy_cheats/. It promises to be the most-viewed sporting YouTube moment since a sideline cameraman caught Mark Mangino using the F-word more than a dozen times in a sideline tirade directed at one of his players two months ago.

© 2007 The Irish Times

I was  watching that NFL show on Sky Sports yesterday and this came up.  The Colts done nothing wrong, the TV channel that showed the game have said it was some sound problem on their part.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on November 08, 2007, 10:43:16 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on November 08, 2007, 09:01:45 PM
interesting article in todays times by george kimball on the 'cheating' pats. them colts aint no angels either...

While cruising to their NFL-best 9-0 record this season, the Patriots have been the subject of much disapprobation. After a Patriots operative was caught videotaping the New York Jets' defensive signals during a September game at the Meadowlands, the league fined coach Bill Belichick a record $500,000 and owner Robert Kraft $250,000 and ordered the forfeiture of the Pats' number one pick in next spring's NFL draft.

The episode continues to cast a pall over what has been a dramatically successful New England march through the schedule. With seven games to play, the Patriots are 9-0 and would appear to have a reasonable chance of posting the second perfect record in NFL history. But some, including Don Shula, the Hall of Fame coach whose 1972 Miami Dolphins went 17-0 to set the standard, have suggested that were this year's New England team to top that feat, the achievement would be so tainted by "Cameragate" it should be marked with an asterisk, like Barry Bonds's home-run record.

While Shula's intimations of "cheating" were widely circulated, it might be noted that the legendary coach offered no criticism of Belichick's refusal to call off the dogs in the Redskins game. After all, those 17 Miami wins in 1972 included a 52-0 victory over the Patriots.

Last Sunday, however, the tables were turned. It was not Belichick, but Tony Dungy, the straight-arrow, Bible-quoting Indianapolis coach, and the defending world champion Colts who stood accused of playing fast and loose with the rules - first by jamming the transmission of the coach-to-quarterback signal to Tom Brady's helmet, and then by ratcheting up the already-deafening crowd noise at Indianapolis's RCA Dome by electronically pumping in artificial crowd noise. "I can tell you that from a functional standpoint, the coach-to-quarterback (transmission) was basically useless," groused Belichick after the game. "We had to use hand signals to send in the plays."

In what was advertised as the most hotly anticipated regular-season game in NFL history, Brady rallied the Patriots from a 10-point deficit to a 24-20 win, but at the beginning of the fourth quarter television viewers were jolted out of their seats when the boisterous voice of the crowd abruptly segued into a whirring noise that would be familiar to anyone whose CD player has skipped. It seemed plain the home team had been caught enhancing the volume.

Since the RCA Dome is generally considered one of the more hostile environments in the nation, many wondered why the Colts had bothered. As with the Patriots' sideline camera, it was not as if they needed help.

The Patriots lodged a protest with NFL security. But a day later the league absolved the Colts, suggesting the glitch had been the result of a malfunction in the CBS television truck.

Readers can judge for themselves. The "unusual audio moment" is available at http://ballhype.com/story/indy_cheats/. It promises to be the most-viewed sporting YouTube moment since a sideline cameraman caught Mark Mangino using the F-word more than a dozen times in a sideline tirade directed at one of his players two months ago.

© 2007 The Irish Times

I was  watching that NFL show on Sky Sports yesterday and this came up.  The Colts done nothing wrong, the TV channel that showed the game have said it was some sound problem on their part.

Actually I see it says that in the article, I would have noticed if I had bothered to read the end of it. ::)

DrinkingHarp

Huge and I mean Huge upset today in NCAA Football

University of Illinois 28  Ohio State 21

The Buckeyes came into the game as the number one team in the country and left flabergasted and pissed off.

Go ILLINI.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

GalwayBayBoy

I don't follow the college football too closely but I hear that there is a crazy amount of upsets this year.

Puckoon

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on November 11, 2007, 12:07:01 AM
Huge and I mean Huge upset today in NCAA Football

University of Illinois 28  Ohio State 21

The Buckeyes came into the game as the number one team in the country and left flabergasted and pissed off.

Go ILLINI.

The buckeyes didnt leave anywhere, they got beaten at home - by unranked opposition. :o Was a great game.

The seeding system is strange over here, but so far, the number 1 team, and 4 teams who were at a time ranked number 2, have all been beaten by unranked opposition. USC being beaten by stanford might have been the upset of the season so far.

thejuice

St Louis and the Dolphins are looking like they're about to win a game this weekend. Rams are kickin the sheet out of the Saints. Phins are tied with Buffalo 10-10. Packers are 34-0 up on the Vikings. Peterson sadly cant repeat last weeks performance. The Pack just got the most comical of touchdowns. Brett throws a pass short and 2 Vikes go for it, coliding with each other and sending the ball up in the air to be caught easily by the intended WR waiting in the end zone.

Pity the Irish have fallen so much. 1-9 such a bad season they're having.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

Great performance by Favre and the packers, but the much vaunted run defence of the vikings has been missing today. Greenbay have had a field day on offence, even with the run game. 4 or 5 shovel passes by Favre, play fakes galore - was enjoying it immensley until fox switched coverage to a more competitive game.
Redskins at home to the eagles. Brian westbrook touchdown run with 3 minutes left on the clock for the eagles to take the lead.

thejuice

Saints have pulled the game back. scored 22 points in the 4th qtr. need a TD and 2 point conversion to tie. will be some comback if they do it
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016