Harrington Is Co-Leading British Open (Get on the bandwagon)

Started by Balboa, July 22, 2007, 04:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2007, 02:48:25 PM
Absolutely delighted for Harrington and he fully deserves it. Not a big golf afficionda but have had a long running argument with a mate of mine who is really into it about Harrington being a bottler. I always reckoned he was a bit suspect but the reason I got sucked in yesterday was I sensed he wasn't going to mess it up this time. And so it proved until 18th as he played really composed golf. I cursed myself and himself when he took 6 on the 18th but he showed great balls to get up and down. The playoff was excellent and showed how in control he was. Obviously one putt dropping could have made it oh so different but I think Harrignton got the rub he deserved.

I'm a huge fan of Harrington's, but I didnt think he had it in him to play as well as he did yesterday. He was so focused and so determined, he looked like a winner, and holed so many crucial putts. I couldnt believe it when he took out the driver for the 18th. But after his c**k-ups he did great to re-focus, great up and down for his 6. A bit lucky to get another chance, but when it came he certainly took it well.

Evil Genius

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2007, 02:48:25 PM
Absolutely delighted for Harrington and he fully deserves it. Not a big golf afficionda but have had a long running argument with a mate of mine who is really into it about Harrington being a bottler. I always reckoned he was a bit suspect but the reason I got sucked in yesterday was I sensed he wasn't going to mess it up this time. And so it proved until 18th as he played really composed golf. I cursed myself and himself when he took 6 on the 18th but he showed great balls to get up and down. The playoff was excellent and showed how in control he was. Obviously one putt dropping could have made it oh so different but I think Harrignton got the rub he deserved.

I think he will really kick on from this. If he had lost.....well he alluded to it himself and it might not be pretty.

Pleased for Harrington, and he deserved to win it, but it seemed to me for all the world that he did, in fact, bottle it - only for Garcia to bottle it twice!

The fact is, while Garcia was in the lead, all the pressure was on him, and it told! Similarly, while Padraig was chasing, there was much less pressure and his golf was outstanding - until he hit the front. Which was when he screwed up (twice) on the 18th.

Frankly, there is no way on earth that a Woods or a Nicklaus or a Faldo would have thrown away leads like these two did.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Harrington reacts. Often a sports star reaches a new level after a win like this - it's especially obvious with boxers after they become World Champion for the first time. He could go on to conquer his nerves and win some more Majors - he's certainly got the golf skills in him.

As for Garcia, he's young enough still to win a major or two, but he'll probably never win the number his talent would otherwise merit. (The new Greg Norman?)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fishead_Sam